February NWCPP Meeting

Lloyd Moore

Jan 23, 2021, 11:43:40 PM1/23/21
to NWCPP Announce

NOW ON LINE!

DUE TO CONCERNS SURROUNDING THE COVID-19 OUTBREAK WE ARE HOLDING THE
NWCPP MEETINGS ON LINE USING MICROSOFT TEAMS. PLEASE USE THE LINK
BELOW TO JOIN THE MEETING.

DURING THE MEETING PLEASE REMEMBER TO MUTE YOUR MICROPHONE.

Intrusive Flat Forward List for self-containing POD types

Please welcome Vladimir Petter as our speaker this month! Since we will all be safe at home folks will need to provide their own pizza - sorry.

Time and Location

February 17th, 2021 at 7:00 PM
On Line Using Microsoft Teams
+1 323-849-4874 United States, Los Angeles (Toll)
Conference ID: 457 317 069#

Abstract

Variable length self-containing data structures are around us everywhere. Most often we use them when we [de]serialize data to/from the storage or networking. We use serialization libraries to flip data between a format used to persist data and a format we use to operate data in RAM. There is a category of data structures that have the same representation when they are persistent and when they are in memory. One of them can be described as an Intrusive Flat Forward List (IFFL). You probably came across it when enumerating content of a directory on a file system. Most projects have hand crafted non reusable algorithms that deal with this structure. They are one of common places of codding errors and sometimes security vulnerabilities and are hard to maintain.

We will look at the header only MIT-licensed open-source library IFFL that provides a set of algorithms as well as owning and non-owning containers that solve these issues. All containers have familiar STL-like interface. Once you have that hammer at your disposal, many problems will look like a nail. You will start seeing how this structure can help more efficiently pass data across processes or organize data in shared memory or on disk.

Speaker Bio

Vladimir Petter is a Principal Software Developer Lead at Microsoft working in High Availability and Storage group that is responsible for many features shipping in Windows Server. His team owns Microsoft implementation of SMB (a remote file system protocol) server and client.

Over his 30-year career he had an opportunity to work in a variety of industries like Banking, Industrial Processes Automation, Building Automation and Security, Video on Demand etc. He has been working at Microsoft for the last 15 years. After joining Clustering team, he has discovered his true passion: building distributed highly available applications. He has been a contributor in many products owned by this group like Network Load Balancer, Failover Cluster, Cluster Shared Volume, SMB and S2D. It is an exciting area, full of unique algorithms. He had an opportunity to develop solutions across user mode and kernel mode and build in depth knowledge in many technologies from networking to storage.

He is passionate about C/C++ and in his free time is working on small projects that help to compose products and solutions faster and with higher quality.

A Word From Our Sponsor

We don't actually have a sponsor this month as the meeting is being held on line.

Digital Media Links

· Sign up for our Announcements mailing list. If you want to be more heavily involved, please sign up for our Volunteers list

· Check out our web page at http://www.nwcpp.org/
· Follow @nwcpp on Twitter.
· Join our Facebook group.
· Follow our Google+ page.
· Follow our YouTube channel.
· Follow our Vimeo channel.

Lloyd Moore

Jan 30, 2021, 1:01:05 PM1/30/21
to NWCPP Announce
NOW ON LINE!
DUE TO CONCERNS SURROUNDING THE COVID-19 OUTBREAK WE ARE HOLDING THE
NWCPP MEETINGS ON LINE USING MICROSOFT TEAMS. PLEASE USE THE LINK
BELOW TO JOIN THE MEETING.

DURING THE MEETING PLEASE REMEMBER TO MUTE YOUR MICROPHONE.

Opening Act

We’ll have a short "opening act" for this meeting. Daniel Hanson will present the demo from the January meeting again.

Lloyd Moore

Feb 6, 2021, 11:50:35 AM2/6/21
to NWCPP Announce

Lloyd Moore

Feb 13, 2021, 12:24:19 PM2/13/21
to NWCPP Announce

Lloyd Moore

Feb 17, 2021, 8:59:14 AM2/17/21
to NWCPP Announce

Lloyd Moore

Feb 18, 2021, 9:35:52 PM2/18/21
to NWCPP Announce

Hi Folks,
Here are the resources from the meeting last night:

Resources

Slides

Source Code

Video

Video Timing Notes:

Preshow: R coding demo starts at time index: 7:52

Main Event: Intrusive Flat Forward List starts at time index: 24:00

Lloyd Moore

Feb 26, 2021, 7:57:36 PM2/26/21
to NWCPP Announce
NOW ON LINE!
DUE TO CONCERNS SURROUNDING THE COVID-19 OUTBREAK WE ARE HOLDING THE
NWCPP MEETINGS ON LINE USING MICROSOFT TEAMS. PLEASE USE THE LINK
BELOW TO JOIN THE MEETING.

DURING THE MEETING PLEASE REMEMBER TO MUTE YOUR MICROPHONE.

Empowering Everyone to Write Reliable and Safe C++ Using Principles of Static Analysis

Please welcome Sunny Chatterjee as our speaker this month! Since we will all be safe at home folks will need to provide their own pizza - sorry.

Time and Location

March 17th, 2021 at 7:00 PM
On Line Using Microsoft Teams
+1 323-849-4874 United States, Los Angeles (Toll)
Conference ID: 457 317 069#

Abstract

Did you know that 70% of serious security bugs are a result of memory safety issues? Although C++ is high performing programming language, customers and security researchers have increasingly asked for stronger safety and correctness guarantees in their programs. In fact, safety and correctness are no longer viewed as opt-in behavior. In this talk, I will explore how static analysis principles can be used to provide strong statically checked guarantees out of the box, without compromising on the trailblazing performance and memory efficiency of C++. I will demonstrate some of these techniques live on real world examples.

Speaker Bio

Sunny Chatterjee leads a team responsible for developing the core C++ Static Analysis engines in Visual Studio productivity experience as well as the traditional security tooling scenarios used widely within Microsoft. He has many years of experience working on program analysis. His current area of focus is towards making C++ a safer systems programming language.

A Word From Our Sponsor

We don't actually have a sponsor this month as the meeting is being held on line.

Lloyd Moore

Mar 6, 2021, 11:21:40 AM3/6/21
to NWCPP Announce

Lloyd Moore

Mar 13, 2021, 12:44:04 PM3/13/21
to NWCPP Announce

Lloyd Moore

Mar 17, 2021, 9:51:03 AM3/17/21
to NWCPP Announce

Lloyd Moore

Mar 18, 2021, 9:39:20 PM3/18/21
to NWCPP Announce

Resources

Slides

Video

Lloyd Moore

Mar 25, 2021, 9:21:22 AM3/25/21
to NWCPP Announce

Lloyd Moore

Mar 31, 2021, 10:11:41 PM3/31/21
to NWCPP Announce
NOW ON LINE!
DUE TO CONCERNS SURROUNDING THE COVID-19 OUTBREAK WE ARE HOLDING THE
NWCPP MEETINGS ON LINE USING MICROSOFT TEAMS. PLEASE USE THE LINK
BELOW TO JOIN THE MEETING.

DURING THE MEETING PLEASE REMEMBER TO MUTE YOUR MICROPHONE.

Destroy All Memory Corruption

Please welcome Walter Bright as our speaker this month! Since we will all be safe at home folks will need to provide their own pizza - sorry.

Time and Location

April 21th, 2021 at 7:00 PM
On Line Using Microsoft Teams
+1 323-849-4874 United States, Los Angeles (Toll)
Conference ID: 457 317 069#

Abstract

Memory corruption is a pernicious and expensive problem. Too often scrubbing it out of code requires manual review, which becomes increasingly impractical as the size of code increases. Runtime checks are inadequate because they cannot prove that memory corruption cannot happen since only the test cases are checked. The idea is to be able to detect memory corruption at compile time as much as possible.

D has had great success at greatly reducing many common forms of memory corruption, such as buffer overflows, use of uninitialized pointers, constructing invalid pointers, and dangling pointers into expired stack frames.

The largest remaining category of such problems is tracking the lifetimes of memory objects and the references to them. The idea is to pair every memory allocation with exactly one deallocation and prevent references to a memory object from surviving past the lifetime of that object. This presentation describes the design of a memory ownership and borrowing system suitable for inclusion into the D language, addressing that category.

Speaker Bio

Walter Bright is the creator and first implementer of the D programming language and has implemented compilers for several other languages. He’s an expert in all areas of compiler technology, including front ends, optimizers, code generation, interpreter engines and runtime libraries. Walter regularly writes articles about compilers and programming, is known for engaging and informative presentations, and provides training in compiler development techniques. Many are surprised to discover that Walter is also the creator of the wargame Empire, which is still popular today over 30 years after its debut.

A Word From Our Sponsor

We don't actually have a sponsor this month as the meeting is being held on line.

Lloyd Moore

Apr 10, 2021, 10:45:52 AM4/10/21
to NWCPP Announce

Lloyd Moore

Apr 17, 2021, 2:01:04 PM4/17/21
to NWCPP Announce

Lloyd Moore

Apr 22, 2021, 9:33:22 AM4/22/21
to NWCPP Announce

Hi Folks here are the slides and video from last night:

Resources

Slides

Video

Lloyd Moore

Apr 29, 2021, 9:52:31 PM4/29/21
to NWCPP Announce

NOW ON LINE!
DUE TO CONCERNS SURROUNDING THE COVID-19 OUTBREAK WE ARE HOLDING THE
NWCPP MEETINGS ON LINE USING MICROSOFT TEAMS. PLEASE USE THE LINK
BELOW TO JOIN THE MEETING.

DURING THE MEETING PLEASE REMEMBER TO MUTE YOUR MICROPHONE.

Components of Successful Software Projects

Please welcome Lloyd Moore as our speaker this month! Since we will all be safe at home folks will need to provide their own pizza - sorry.

Time and Location

May 19th, 2021 at 7:00 PM
On Line Using Microsoft Teams
+1 323-849-4874 United States, Los Angeles (Toll)
Conference ID: 457 317 069#

Abstract

A successful software project is much more than just getting the code to compile and run. Building a successful piece of software requires multiple stages of planning and execution. The success or failure of the project will depend as much upon the processes used for development the project as the final project itself. This presentation is a high level survey of key processes and considerations that should be addressed for any project, from the beginning to end. When to use them, when they can be skipped, and what the consequences can be if a process is skipped inappropriately.

Speaker Bio

Lloyd Moore is the founder and owner of CyberData Corporation, which provides consulting services in the aerospace, robotics, machine vision and industrial automation fields. Lloyd has worked in software industry for 35 years. His formal training in biological-based artificial intelligence, electronics, and psychology. Lloyd is also currently the president of the Northwest C++ User’s Group and an organizer of the Seattle Robotics Society Robothon event.

A Word From Our Sponsor

We don't actually have a sponsor this month as the meeting is being held on line.

Lloyd Moore

May 9, 2021, 11:02:11 AM5/9/21
to NWCPP Announce

Lloyd Moore

May 15, 2021, 10:42:01 AM5/15/21
to NWCPP Announce

Lloyd Moore

May 19, 2021, 9:13:32 AM5/19/21
to NWCPP Announce

Lloyd Moore

May 20, 2021, 9:19:33 AM5/20/21
to NWCPP Announce

Hi Folks,

Here are the slides and the video from the meeting last night:

Resources

Slides

Video

Lloyd Moore

May 26, 2021, 7:54:05 PM5/26/21
to NWCPP Announce
NOW ON LINE!
DUE TO CONCERNS SURROUNDING THE COVID-19 OUTBREAK WE ARE HOLDING THE
NWCPP MEETINGS ON LINE USING MICROSOFT TEAMS. PLEASE USE THE LINK
BELOW TO JOIN THE MEETING.

DURING THE MEETING PLEASE REMEMBER TO MUTE YOUR MICROPHONE.

Modern Application Development for Any Domain

Please welcome Corey Pendleton of the Qt Company as our speaker this month! Since we will all be safe at home folks will need to provide their own pizza - sorry.

Time and Location

June 16th, 2021 at 7:00 PM
On Line Using Microsoft Teams
+1 323-849-4874 United States, Los Angeles (Toll)
Conference ID: 457 317 069#

Abstract

With the rise of the high-resolution, responsive mobile user interface has come rising user expectations of technology in every facet of life. From consumer devices to industrial control panels to scientific data analysis applications, the way the user feels when interacting with technology often determines the success or failure of a product. But shiny user experience only goes so far if the underlying application framework cannot meet the product requirements, or results in a high cost of development.

In this session you will discover how the Qt application development framework can enable you to develop beautiful, high-performance applications that scale from microcontroller to desktop. Support all major platforms and operating systems with a single code base. Develop in C++, Python, and/or QML/JavaScript to make the best use of your expertise and integrate with any application domain..

Speaker Bio

Corey Pendleton is a Senior Solutions Engineer with The Qt Company collaborating with our customers through providing technical expertise and proof of concept using the Qt framework. As a software engineer for 8 years in consumer electronics with Garmin International, and 4 years in automation with Siemens E&A, his experience affords him the vision to creatively and pragmatically explore the use of the Qt framework in a variety of customer use-cases.

A Word From Our Sponsor

We don't actually have a sponsor this month as the meeting is being held on line.

Lloyd Moore

May 31, 2021, 12:32:21 PM5/31/21
to NWCPP Announce

Lloyd Moore

Jun 7, 2021, 9:37:35 AM6/7/21
to NWCPP Announce

Lloyd Moore

Jun 12, 2021, 11:54:16 AM6/12/21
to NWCPP Announce

Lloyd Moore

Jun 16, 2021, 2:28:33 PM6/16/21
to NWCPP Announce

Lloyd Moore

Lloyd Moore

Jun 24, 2021, 9:28:54 AM6/24/21
to NWCPP Announce

NOW ON LINE!
DUE TO CONCERNS SURROUNDING THE COVID-19 OUTBREAK WE ARE HOLDING THE
NWCPP MEETINGS ON LINE USING MICROSOFT TEAMS. PLEASE USE THE LINK
BELOW TO JOIN THE MEETING.

DURING THE MEETING PLEASE REMEMBER TO MUTE YOUR MICROPHONE.

Test-Driven Development in the Larger Context

Please welcome Scott Bain of PMI as our speaker this month! Since we will all be safe at home folks will need to provide their own pizza - sorry.

Time and Location

July 21, 2021 at 7:00 PM
On Line Using Microsoft Teams
+1 323-849-4874 United States, Los Angeles (Toll)
Conference ID: 457 317 069#

Abstract

When discussing or teaching Test-Driven Development, or TDD, a question often arises: What about Acceptance Tests? Are they part of TDD? Can they also be used to drive development, as in ATDD? If so, how do they relate to the unit tests that developers typically write as part of their process? This presentation examines the differences, similarities, and synergy between TDD and ATDD, and places them into the overall context of an agile process.

Speaker Bio

Scott is a 40+ year veteran in computer technology, with a background in development, analysis, and design. He has also designed, delivered, and managed training programs, both in traditional classrooms and via distance learning. Scott teaches courses and consults on Agile Analysis and Design Patterns, Advanced Software Design, and Test-Driven Development. He is a frequent speaker at developer conferences such as JavaOne and SDWest. He is the author of “Emergent Design”, which won a Jolt Productivity Award, as well as “The TDD Companion” and “The Design Patterns Companion”. He currently works for PMI.

A Word From Our Sponsor

We don't actually have a sponsor this month as the meeting is being held on line.

Lloyd Moore

Jul 11, 2021, 11:18:32 AM7/11/21
to NWCPP Announce

Lloyd Moore