October NWCPP meeting

Lloyd Moore

Sep 26, 2020, 10:27:17 AM9/26/20
to NWCPP Announce

NOW ON LINE!
DUE TO CONCERNS SURROUNDING THE COVID-19 OUTBREAK WE ARE HOLDING THE
NWCPP MEETINGS ON LINE USING MICROSOFT TEAMS. PLEASE USE THE LINK
BELOW TO JOIN THE MEETING.

DURING THE MEETING PLEASE REMEMBER TO MUTE YOUR MICROPHONE. WELL HAVE
TO SEE HOW THE SYSTEM PERFORMS IF EVERYONE STREAMS VIDEO, THIS WOULD BE
NICE TO HAVE IF POSSIBLE BUT PLEASE BE PREPARED TO TURN YOUR VIDEO OFF
IF IT TURNS OUT TO BE CONSUMING TOO MUCH BANDWIDTH.

Embedded Development Panel

Please welcome Andrew Sloss, Brett Searles and Lloyd Moore as our panelists this month! Since we will all be safe at home folks will need to provide their own pizza - sorry.

Time and Location

Oct 21st, 2020 at 7:00 PM
On Line Using Microsoft Teams
+1 323-849-4874 United States, Los Angeles (Toll)
Conference ID: 917 017 259#

Abstract

Embedded development presents multiple challenges to the developer in terms of constrained hardware harsh operating environments, remote debugging, cross compilation and others that are not found in other types of software development.

This panel will give you an opportunity to share best practices and ask questions on how to work in an embedded world.

Speaker Bio

Andrew N. Sloss Fellow of the British Computer Society, Part Time Lecturer at the University of Washington Electrical Engineering Department (15-years) and Senior Principal Research Engineer at Arm Holdings (24-years). Andrew has had a long career in the Embedded field spanning both commercial and higher education. His main interest and focus has been on the design of low level software on Embedded & Real-Time Systems. Co-authored one of the original books on the Arm processor. More recently he has turned his attention to analyzing future Disruptive Technologies, including the application of Evolutionary Algorithms on highly constrained devices and the hardware-software interface. Andrew has received numerous awards for both education and commercial achievements.

Brett Searles Currently working in the AR/VR field for mobile applications. Loves to work in embedded and low level circuitry design. Very active in the C++ community with volunteering for NWCPP, CppCon and trying to get a hackathon started for college age students.

Lloyd Moore Lloyd Moore is the founder and owner of CyberData Corporation, which provides consulting services in the aerospace, robotics, machine vision and industrial automation fields. Lloyd has worked in software industry for 30 years. His formal training in biological-based artificial intelligence, electronics, and psychology. Lloyd is also currently the president of the Northwest C++ User’s Group and an organizer of the Seattle Robotics Society Robothon event.

A Word From Our Sponsor

We don't actually have a sponsor this month as the meeting is being held on line.

Digital Media Links

· Sign up for our Announcements mailing list. If you want to be more heavily involved, please sign up for our Volunteers list

· Check out our web page at http://www.nwcpp.org/
· Follow @nwcpp on Twitter.
· Join our Facebook group.
· Follow our Google+ page.
· Follow our YouTube channel.
· Follow our Vimeo channel.

Lloyd Moore

Oct 3, 2020, 10:40:41 AM10/3/20
to NWCPP Announce

Lloyd Moore

Oct 10, 2020, 11:24:11 AM10/10/20
to NWCPP Announce

Lloyd Moore

Oct 17, 2020, 12:03:07 PM10/17/20
to NWCPP Announce

Lloyd Moore

Oct 21, 2020, 9:16:06 AM10/21/20
to NWCPP Announce

Lloyd Moore

Oct 22, 2020, 10:51:37 PM10/22/20
to NWCPP Announce

Hi Folks,

Here is the video from last night's meeting (no slides as it was a panel discussion):

Resources

Video

DUE TO CONCERNS SURROUNDING THE COVID-19 OUTBREAK WE ARE HOLDING THE
NWCPP MEETINGS ON LINE USING MICROSOFT TEAMS. PLEASE USE THE LINK
BELOW TO JOIN THE MEETING.

DURING THE MEETING PLEASE REMEMBER TO MUTE YOUR MICROPHONE. WELL HAVE
TO SEE HOW THE SYSTEM PERFORMS IF EVERYONE STREAMS VIDEO, THIS WOULD BE
NICE TO HAVE IF POSSIBLE BUT PLEASE BE PREPARED TO TURN YOUR VIDEO OFF
IF IT TURNS OUT TO BE CONSUMING TOO MUCH BANDWIDTH.

3D Graphics for Dummies

Please welcome Chris Ryan as our speaker this month! Since we will all be safe at home folks will need to provide their own pizza - sorry.

Time and Location

Nov 18st, 2020 at 7:00 PM
On Line Using Microsoft Teams
+1 323-849-4874 United States, Los Angeles (Toll)
Conference ID: 917 017 259#

Abstract

An introduction to Three Dimensional Graphics: Points, Vectors, Matrix Math, Rasterization and the methods used in the Graphics Pipeline and Rendering. Being a typical engineer, rather than just using an off-the-shelf library, I wrote a simple program to explore the blood and guts of the topic. It is much simpler than you would think.

Speaker Bio

Chris Ryan was classically trained in both software and hardware engineering.  He is well experienced in Modern C++ & Classic 'C', on extremely large/complex problem spaces and on Embedded/Firmware devices (large & small). Chris has no interest in C#, Java, js or any web-ish tech.

A Word From Our Sponsor

We don't actually have a sponsor this month as the meeting is being held on line.

Lloyd Moore

Nov 6, 2020, 7:20:13 PM11/6/20
to NWCPP Announce

Lloyd Moore

Nov 14, 2020, 1:43:20 PM11/14/20
to NWCPP Announce

Lloyd Moore

Nov 18, 2020, 9:28:10 AM11/18/20
to NWCPP Announce

Lloyd Moore

Nov 19, 2020, 7:14:15 PM11/19/20
to NWCPP Announce

Hi Folks,

Here are the slides and video from the meeting last night:

Resources

Slides Video

Remember no meeting in December, Happy Holidays and see you next year!!!

Lloyd Moore

Dec 24, 2020, 12:54:47 PM12/24/20
to NWCPP Announce

NOW ON LINE!
DUE TO CONCERNS SURROUNDING THE COVID-19 OUTBREAK WE ARE HOLDING THE
NWCPP MEETINGS ON LINE USING MICROSOFT TEAMS. PLEASE USE THE LINK
BELOW TO JOIN THE MEETING.

DURING THE MEETING PLEASE REMEMBER TO MUTE YOUR MICROPHONE.

Integrating Reusable C++ Code in R Packages

Please welcome Daniel Hanson as our speaker this month! Since we will all be safe at home folks will need to provide their own pizza - sorry.

Time and Location

January 20th, 2021 at 7:00 PM
On Line Using Microsoft Teams
+1 323-849-4874 United States, Los Angeles (Toll)
Conference ID: 457 317 069#

Abstract

One of the most time-consuming, tedious, and thankless tasks a quantitative developer frequently confronts is writing interfaces to C++ code from other languages such as Excel VBA, Python, and R. Fortunately, this process has been made far less painful when interfacing to a front-end in R, thanks to the Rcpp R package.

The open source Rcpp package was first developed about ten years ago. It has since evolved significantly in terms of providing a platform for rapid development, plus convenient build and documentation tools, all integrated into the RStudio IDE. Rcpp represents a major breakthrough in allowing a programmer to farm out computationally-intensive tasks to C++, return the results to R, and then use these results within other R functions, including R’s powerful data visualization tools. Although there is a fair amount of documentation available on using Rcpp, there does not seem to be much written on how to ensure a clean separation between the R interface and the C++ code.

In this presentation, we will discuss how to set up an R package project in RStudio, develop C++ interfaces with Rcpp, and then call standard C++ code that remains reusable for other applications, all with minimal fuss.

Speaker Bio

Daniel Hanson is a full-time lecturer in the Computational Finance & Risk Management program within the Department of Applied Mathematics at the University of Washington. His appointment followed over 25 years of experience in private sector quantitative development in finance and data science.

A Word From Our Sponsor

We don't actually have a sponsor this month as the meeting is being held on line.

Lloyd Moore

Jan 2, 2021, 11:06:28 AM1/2/21
to NWCPP Announce
-

Lloyd Moore

Jan 9, 2021, 11:09:54 AM1/9/21
to NWCPP Announce

Lloyd Moore

Jan 16, 2021, 1:54:28 PM1/16/21
to NWCPP Announce

Lloyd Moore

Jan 20, 2021, 9:14:12 AM1/20/21
to NWCPP Announce

Lloyd Moore

Jan 21, 2021, 8:06:00 PM1/21/21
to NWCPP Announce

Hi Folks,

Here are the resources from the meeting last night:

Resources

Slides Video

Thanks,
Lloyd