July NWCPP Meeting

Lloyd Moore

Jun 22, 2022, 9:03:21 AM6/22/22
to NWCPP Announce

Announcements
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The Aug meeting will be member lighting rounds, if you want to do a 5-10 minute talk please just show up with your talk and we'll organize at the start of the meeting. This is a great opportunity to practice a talk if you also plan to present at CppCon!

Open Discussion: Why So Many Languages?

Please welcome everyone as our speakers this month! Since we will all be safe at home folks will need to provide their own pizza - sorry.

Time and Location

July 20th, 2022 at 7:00 PM
On Line Using Microsoft Teams
Click here to join the meeting
+1 323-849-4874 United States, Los Angeles (Toll)
Conference ID: 981 759 587#

Abstract

Hi Folks - we are going to try something new this month. In lieu of a speaker we are going to hold an open discussion on the topic of "Why So Many Languages?" This will be a "free form" discussion, some general questions to kick things off could be:
1. Is there really a need for so many languages?
2. Does the availability of so many languages help or hurt the development process?
3. Does the availability of so many languages reduce or increase the cost of a project?
4. With so many languages to work with can you ever really learn one in depth?

Speaker Bio

All of you!

A Word From Our Sponsor

We don't actually have a sponsor this month as the meeting is being held on line.

Digital Media Links

· Sign up for our Announcements mailing list. If you want to be more heavily involved, please sign up for our Volunteers list

· Check out our web page at http://www.nwcpp.org/
· Follow @nwcpp on Twitter.
· Join our Facebook group.
· Follow our Google+ page.
· Follow our YouTube channel.
· Follow our Vimeo channel.

Lloyd Moore

Jun 27, 2022, 8:12:09 PM6/27/22
to NWCPP Announce

Announcements

The Aug meeting will be member lighting rounds, if you want to do a 5-10 minute talk please just show up with your talk and we'll organize at the start of the meeting. This is a great opportunity to practice a talk if you also plan to present at CppCon!

Building a C/C++ Infrared Piano
Please welcome Nick Ristuccia of JFrog as our speaker this month! Since we will all be safe at home folks will need to provide their own pizza - sorry.

Time and Location

July 20th, 2022 at 7:00 PM
On Line Using Microsoft Teams
Click here to join the meeting
+1 323-849-4874 United States, Los Angeles (Toll)
Conference ID: 981 759 587#

Abstract

TinkerForge provides a variety of sensors and devices: an air quality sensor, analog joystick, linear potentiometer, speaker, LCD screen, infrared distance sensor, and many more. We’ve used some of these devices to create an infrared piano. Two IR sensors detect where you place your hand over two sets of keys. The speaker beeps at a frequency matching the note for that key. The LCD prints the distance detected by each IR sensor. And the linear potentiometer controls volume. The software that runs the piano uses TinkerForge’s C/C++ API bindings. These are easy to retrieve from ConanCenter using the Conan C/C++ package manager. This session examines the various sensors, devices, and codes used to create the piano. You’ll go behind the scenes of the piano’s development, and its iterations, and see how you can start creating similar projects.

Speaker Bio

Nick Ristuccia
JFrog, Conan Developer Advocate | Game Designer
Nick started in the videogames industry, developing titles for console and mobile. Disappointed by the oppressive corporate feel of traditional technical training, Nick's passion is to create more engaging and powerful learning experiences through game-based learning and other playful techniques. As a Curriculum Developer at Oracle, he focused on Java programming and certification. As a Developer Advocate at JFrog, his focus is on C++, Conan, and other JFrog technologies.

A Word From Our Sponsor

We don't actually have a sponsor this month as the meeting is being held on line.

lloyd cyberdata-robotics.com

Jul 20, 2022, 9:33:28 PM7/20/22
to NWCPP Announce

lloyd cyberdata-robotics.com

Jul 20, 2022, 9:53:42 PM7/20/22
to NWCPP Announce

Hi Folks,

Looks like there is a technical issue with Microsoft Teams where the link for the browser is not able to open the actual meeting. Robin and I worked on this for a bit and are not able to find a quick solution. For the moment we are going to cancel the meeting and work on a solution for next month.

Sorry folks!! We'll get this sorted out!!

Lloyd

ATTEMPT #2: Building a C/C++ Infrared Piano
Please welcome Nick Ristuccia of JFrog as our speaker this month! Since we will all be safe at home folks will need to provide their own pizza - sorry.

Time and Location

Aug 17th, 2022 at 7:00 PM
[...]

Aug 8, 2022, 8:58:00 AM8/8/22
to NWCPP Announce

lloyd cyberdata-robotics.com

Aug 12, 2022, 9:27:15 PM8/12/22
to NWCPP Announce
ATTEMPT #2: Building a C/C++ Infrared Piano
Please welcome Nick Ristuccia of JFrog as our speaker this month! Since we will all be safe at home folks will need to provide their own pizza - sorry.

Time and Location

Aug 17, 2022 at 7:00 PM
On Line Using Microsoft Teams
Meeting ID: 256 260 761 683

[...]