Correction: Feb NWCPP Meeting

ll...@cyberdata-robotics.com

Jan 20, 2020, 4:48:24 PM1/20/20
to nwcppa...@googlegroups.com

Ok hopefully this one gets all the errors fixed. Note the date is Feb 19th!

DigiPen Senior Research Projects

Please welcome Lux Cardell, Michael-Paul Moore and Samuel Schimmel as our speakers this month! Pizza sponsor coming soon!

Time and Location

Feb 19th, 2020 at 7:00 PM
Room 1087, Building 30,  Map to building 30,
Microsoft Campus,
156th Ave  NE,
Redmond,  WA 98052.

Abstracts

This talk will feature a collection of senior research projects, presented by DigiPen students:

Templatized Lua Binding by Lux Cardell:
In order to integrate Lua scripting into a C++ project, each function
accessible to Lua must have a binding function. For a custom game engine
project, I bound Lua to allow our design team to iterate and design more
efficiently. To this end I wrote a set of templates that generated
binding functions automatically based on the data types the functions
required. These templates were designed to encapsulate the entirety of
the binding process, from popping arguments off the Lua stack to
returning an arbitrary number of values. I used variadic templates to
allow the template to handle any function signature. In order to interface
between dynamic and strict typing, I wrote a generic class that wrapped the basic types from Lua and the user-defined types commonly used throughout the engine.

TypeRT by Michael-Paul Moore:
In order to develop a complex C++ simulation, many collections of data
must be authored to control behavior during execution. Much of this is
driven by the creation of different classes that will each require
similar sets of utilities in order to effectively function. Utilities
such as: Points of Access, serialization, classification, etc. While
engineers can facilitate this functionality on a per class basis, this
is time consuming and can often result in duplicated logic. Furthermore,
while native representation is required during execution, by allowing
the class definitions to reside outside of code we can gain the
following benefits:
•    Accessibility to non-engineers without compiler access
•    Easily extend feature set on data usage inside and outside the main
toolset
•    Since these class definitions are outside the toolset, they do not
require code to be built
•    Further ensures abstraction from your data from different
functionalities
To solve these problems we want to utilize a single flexible wrapper
class, referred to as TypeRT, to centralize interactions for game data.
This creates an environment in which a given functionality only needs to
be implemented once and then gained across multiple data types. In the
actual talk details will then be given on the TypeRT implementation.
Process by which existing classes can be ported will be explained.

Experiences of a Technical Director and Gameplay programmer by Samuel Schimmel:
Discussing of my experiences both as the technical director and gameplay programmer of a UE4 C++ project, and as the UE4 C++ gameplay programming TA. The slides for my workshop, footage of the game, and commentary on various gameplay features I've implemented using UE4 C++, can be found here: https://www.samuelschimmel.com/unreal/.

Speaker Bios

Lux Cardell:
I'm a fourth-year student in the Bachelor's of
Science in Computer Science program at DigiPen. I've worked on game
engines for the past three years, and in the last year on a physics
project calculating the binding energies of hydrogen in weak magnetic
fields. Additionally, I competed this year in the International
Collegiate Programming Contest, representing DigiPen in the first
division. In the game engine I wrote in my third year, I integrated Lua
scripting to facilitate a team of designers in creating a game. As the
process of writing binding functions for Lua is largely repetitive but
highly function-specific, I found a way to genericize the process of
writing binding libraries using C++ templates.

Michael-Paul Moore:
I am a Senior at DigiPen institute of
technology and currently work as an Associate Software Engineer at
Monolith Productions.

Samuel Schimmel:
I was the technical director and gameplay programmer of the student game Perdition, which was selected to represent DigiPen at PAX West 2019, and is now available on Steam. Perdition was made in Unreal Engine 4, which allows developers to write gameplay code in C++ or using a proprietary visual scripting language called Blueprint. Despite the popularity and accessibility of Blueprint, I chose to write 100% of Perdition's gameplay code in C++ for performance and complexity management reasons. I'm now the junior project class' UE4 C++ gameplay programming TA, and present an annual workshop on UE4 C++ gameplay programming.
My resume can be found here: https://www.samuelschimmel.com/

A Word From Our Sponsor

Coming Soon!

Digital Media Links

· Sign up for our Announcements mailing list. If you want to be more heavily involved, please sign up for our Volunteers list

· Check out our web page at http://www.nwcpp.org/
· Follow @nwcpp on Twitter.
· Join our Facebook group.
· Follow our Google+ page.
· Follow our YouTube channel.
· Follow our Vimeo channel.

Lloyd Moore

Jan 25, 2020, 12:18:36 PM1/25/20
to NWCPP Announce

DigiPen Senior Research Projects

Please welcome Lux Cardell, Louis Tan, Michael-Paul Moore and Samuel Schimmel as our speakers this month! Pizza will be provided by our remote sponsors!
Please thank Triple Crown, Protingent and Volt for the pizza at this meeting. See our web site for contact information.

Digital Media Links

· Sign up for our Announcements mailing list. If you want to be more heavily involved, please sign up for our Volunteers list

· Check out our web page at http://www.nwcpp.org/
· Follow @nwcpp on Twitter.
· Join our Facebook group.
· Follow our Google+ page.
· Follow our YouTube channel.
· Follow our Vimeo channel.

Lloyd Moore

Jan 27, 2020, 7:06:12 PM1/27/20
to NWCPP Announce
Transforming and Reducing Workloads: C++17 Parallel Algorithms for Rapid Prototyping by Louis Tan:
C++17 introduced parallel execution policies for algorithms, and a versatile new std::transform_reduce algorithm for taking advantage of the feature. These both allow programmers to spend less time on the implementation details of dispatching parallel workloads, and more time on parallel design through rapid prototyping and iteration. In this talk, we will explore the use case of parallelizing a physics engine for performance, and how std::transform_reduce was used as a catch-all solution to accomplish this.

[...]

Louis Tan:
Louis is an avid tinkerer and recent graduate who got his start in C++ developing game mods. He believes in the value of a diverse problem-solving toolkit and has gathered experience in multiple areas not limited to game development, including graphics, physics, reverse engineering and AI. He has also been known to engage in template metaprogramming for amusement, sometimes just to make certain people on the internet very, very angry.

A Word From Our Sponsor

Please thank Triple Crown, Protingent and Volt for the pizza at this meeting. See our web site for contact information.

Lloyd Moore

Feb 1, 2020, 12:38:41 PM2/1/20
to NWCPP Announce

DigiPen Senior Research Projects

Please welcome Lux Cardell, Louis Tan, Michael-Paul Moore and Samuel Schimmel as our speakers this month! Pizza will be provided by Daniel Hanson - THANKS DAN!!!
Please thank Daniel Hanson!!

Lloyd Moore

Feb 9, 2020, 11:18:55 AM2/9/20
to NWCPP Announce

Lloyd Moore

Feb 15, 2020, 11:08:55 AM2/15/20
to NWCPP Announce

Lloyd Moore

Feb 19, 2020, 9:45:04 AM2/19/20
to NWCPP Announce

Lloyd Moore

Feb 22, 2020, 10:17:02 AM2/22/20
to NWCPP Announce

Hi Folks,

The video and slides from the meeting have been posted:

Thanks,
Lloyd

Lloyd Moore

Mar 1, 2020, 1:17:05 PM3/1/20
to NWCPP Announce

C++ In Higher Education
Please welcome Daniel Hanson as our speaker this month! Pizza will be provided by CyberData Corporation!!!

New Meeting Location

The March NWCPP meeting will be held in our new meeting location
in Building 20 of the Microsoft Redmond Campus!! If you go to the
old location the pizza (or anything else) won’t be there!!!!

Time and Location

March 18th, 2020 at 7:00 PM
Room 1115, Building 20, Map to building 20,
Microsoft Campus,
156th Ave NE,
Redmond, WA 98052.

Abstract

Coming Soon!!

Speaker Bio

Daniel Hanson spent over 25 years in quantitative development in finance, primarily with C++ implementation of option pricing and portfolio risk models, and library development. He now holds a full-time lecturer position in the Department of Applied Mathematics at the University of Washington, teaching quantitative development courses in the Computational Finance & Risk Management (CFRM) MSc program. This includes intermediate and advanced classes in computational C++, and advising students in Google Summer of Code projects involving mathematical models implementation with C++ and R.

A Word From Our Sponsor

CyberData Corporation was founded by Lloyd Moore in 1996. CyberData specializes in providing custom software and hardware solutions for robotics, machine vision, embedded systems and industrial automation applications. Our mission is to create high quality, innovative technology for the global marketplace.

CyberData also conducts internal research into the areas of robotics, machine vision and artificial intelligence. Specific technologies are then either licensed, sold as products or released as open source, depending on the specific nature and goals of the project. Technological developments are also provided directly to our clients through our consulting services.

Lloyd Moore

Mar 1, 2020, 1:20:45 PM3/1/20
to NWCPP Announce

Teaching C++ in the Applied Sciences

Lloyd Moore

Mar 7, 2020, 11:59:13 AM3/7/20
to NWCPP Announce

CANCELED

DUE TO CONCERNS SURROUNDING THE COVID-19 OUTBREAK WE ARE CANCELLING THE
MARCH NWCPP MEETING. STAY TUNED AND WELL GET THIS RESCHEDULED. IF YOU
ARE REALLY NEEDING A C++ PRESENTATION, PLEASE REMEMBER THAT THERE ARE
PLENTY ON LINE FROM THE CppCon AND CppNow!! EVERYONE PLEASE STAY SAFE
AND HEALTHY!!

Lloyd Moore

Mar 28, 2020, 12:26:22 PM3/28/20
to NWCPP Announce

BACK ON LINE!

DUE TO CONCERNS SURROUNDING THE COVID-19 OUTBREAK WE ARE HOLDING THE
APRIL NWCPP MEETING ON LINE USING MICROSOFT TEAMS. PLEASE USE THE LINK
BELOW TO JOIN THE MEETING. THIS IS THE FIRST TIME WE ARE DOING A
MEETING THIS WAY SO MAYBE BE A BIT EARLY TO HELP WORK OUT ANY KINKS!

DURING THE MEETING PLEASE REMEMBER TO MUTE YOUR MICROPHONE. WELL HAVE
TO SEE HOW THE SYSTEM PERFORMS IF EVERYONE STREAMS VIDEO, THIS WOULD BE
NICE TO HAVE IF POSSIBLE BUT PLEASE BE PREPARED TO TURN YOUR VIDEO OFF
IF IT TURNS OUT TO BE CONSUMING TOO MUCH BANDWIDTH.

Teaching C++ in the Applied Sciences
Please welcome Daniel Hanson as our speaker this month! Since we will all be safe at home folks will need to provide their own pizza - sorry.

Time and Location

April 15th, 2020 at 7:00 PM
On Line Using Microsoft Teams
+1 323-849-4874 United States, Los Angeles (Toll)
Conference ID: 835 975 189#

Abstract

Coming Soon!!

Speaker Bio

Daniel Hanson spent over 25 years in quantitative development in finance, primarily with C++ implementation of option pricing and portfolio risk models, and library development. He now holds a full-time lecturer position in the Department of Applied Mathematics at the University of Washington, teaching quantitative development courses in the Computational Finance & Risk Management (CFRM) MSc program. This includes intermediate and advanced classes in computational C++, and advising students in Google Summer of Code projects involving mathematical models implementation with C++ and R.

A Word From Our Sponsor

We don't actually have a sponsor this month as the meeting is being held on line.

Lloyd Moore

Mar 30, 2020, 10:36:30 PM3/30/20
[...]

Although C++ was once dominant in courses such as numerical analysis, financial engineering, and computational physics, university and graduate instruction in the applied sciences has gravitated more and more toward the convenience of languages such as Python, Matlab, and R.  While these languages offer incredible advantages over general purpose languages for rapidly implementing quantitative applications, there often comes a point where students hit a brick wall in terms of performance, often obligating them to restructure interpreted code with more complexity for large clusters in order to realize performance gains that can be obtained in parallel execution.

Meanwhile, students wishing to advance their knowledge of C++ with the goal of writing more performant numerical code are finding their options limited to classes taught in computer science departments that are more concerned with building data structures and search algorithms rather than using those that exist within the Standard Library in order to solve real world problems.

This talk maps out a 10-week academic quarter course that could be geared for students in the applied sciences, where the emphasis is on using features that already exist in modern post-C++11, along with powerful and widely-used open source mathematical libraries now available in C++.  While the syllabus is based on an actual class taught by the speaker to graduate students in quantitative finance, the intent is to show that the fundamental concepts are common enough to other computational fields to allow students to quickly leverage the power of C++ in solving actual problems, rather than to burden them with minute details of raw pointers, legacy C constructs, string formatting, and search algorithm design that often consume a typical introductory college C++ course and discourage scientific programmers.

[...]

Lloyd Moore

Apr 4, 2020, 11:19:39 AM4/4/20
to NWCPP Announce

Lloyd Moore

Apr 11, 2020, 11:38:40 AM4/11/20
to NWCPP Announce

Lloyd Moore

Apr 14, 2020, 7:16:37 PM4/14/20
to NWCPP Announce

The slides for this meeting have been posted ahead of time so everyone who wants to can download them before the talk. Slides are here:

Resources

Slides

Lloyd Moore

Apr 15, 2020, 9:41:35 AM4/15/20