Computer foot pedals

1 view

Richard Benkstein

Mar 18, 2023, 11:35:59 AM3/18/23
to MilwaukeeLUG
I belong to a Ukelele club and up until now have used printed copies of the music.  I would like to use my surface pro but I don't like having to stop playing to turn the pages.

The specific action I am looking for is the right arrow which will move a .PDF document to the next page and/or the down arrow or wheel which would move up/down the document.  A homemade jury rig would be to build a cover over a regular keyboard with holes over the arrow keys and spring-loaded pegs to step on.

I saw the below USB device for about $40.

At the last meeting Sean M. said he used a foot operated device.

Any thoughts?

Rick

Inline image

Sean Malloy

Mar 18, 2023, 1:50:24 PM3/18/23
to Milwau...@googlegroups.com
Here is the device I use with my Fedora laptop.

VEC in-USB-3 Infinity 3 Digital USB Foot Control https://a.co/d/gdJgEgt

--
Sean Malloy

--
Homepage: http://www.milwaukeelug.org/home
This forum online: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/MilwaukeeLUG

Glenn Holmer

Mar 18, 2023, 7:51:17 PM3/18/23
to Milwau...@googlegroups.com
On Sat, Mar 18, 2023 at 10:36 AM Richard Benkstein <rbenk...@att.net> wrote:
The specific action I am looking for is the right arrow which will move a .PDF document to the next page and/or the down arrow or wheel which would move up/down the document.  A homemade jury rig would be to build a cover over a regular keyboard with holes over the arrow keys and spring-loaded pegs to step on.

I saw the below USB device for about $40.

At the last meeting Sean M. said he used a foot operated device.

--
Glenn Holmer (Linux registered user #16682)

Richard Benkstein

Mar 18, 2023, 10:16:28 PM3/18/23
to Milwau...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the advice - I've got one on order and when I finish playing with it I will report back.

Rick

--
Homepage: http://www.milwaukeelug.org/home
This forum online: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/MilwaukeeLUG

Sean Malloy

Mar 18, 2023, 10:43:27 PM3/18/23
to Milwau...@googlegroups.com
If people are interested I could give a presentation at some point in the future on how to configure USB foot pedals with Linux.

Let me know if you are interested.

Thanks.

--
Sean Malloy

Tom

Mar 21, 2023, 11:16:43 AM3/21/23
to Milwau...@googlegroups.com
I think the one for $35 ends in a 3.5mm plug, and has no USB connectivity. It's meant to plug into the $149 unit to the right-- Savant Elite2 module and pedal. I think you'd buy the $35 one if you already had the single pedal version and wanted to add a pedal. Without the little USB module, all you get is a switch contact and no USB action.

-T

On Saturday, March 18, 2023 at 06:51:19 PM CDT, Glenn Holmer <glenn....@gmail.com> wrote:
On Sat, Mar 18, 2023 at 10:36 AM Richard Benkstein <rbenk...@att.net> wrote:
The specific action I am looking for is the right arrow which will move a .PDF document to the next page and/or the down arrow or wheel which would move up/down the document.  A homemade jury rig would be to build a cover over a regular keyboard with holes over the arrow keys and spring-loaded pegs to step on.
I saw the below USB device for about $40.
At the last meeting Sean M. said he used a foot operated device.

Tom Peters • a50m...@gmail.com • N9QQB (amateur radio)
"HEY YOU" (loud shouting) • Second Tops (Set Dancing) • FIND ME ON FACEBOOK
43° 7' 17.2" N by 88° 6' 28.9" W • Elevation 815' • Grid Square EN53wc
Sr. Systems Administrator • Open-source Dude • Musician • Registered Linux User 385531