Ponoko Cost

Geoff Pender

Jan 25, 2021, 8:48:00 PM1/25/21
to Crow Box Kit
Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but the quote I got from Ponoko was well over $100. I uploaded the transparent file and it estimated to be just over $40 for the one. So, I'm assuming that each sheet will be about the same cost? In light of that I contacted a local maker space. Their laser cutters are all 12". I'm not sure that I have the Inkscape skill to redraw/organize the originals to a 12x12 plate.

Nicki MacRae

Jan 26, 2021, 6:28:18 PM1/26/21
to CrowB...@googlegroups.com
Hi, I am looking for someone to make me the crow box because I am not good at these things! I have a group of crows that visit our classroom window every day to get the peanuts we leave them. I would love to set up a box there and let the students participate in it too. Is anyone willing to make one and I will send the money for it?

On Mon, Jan 25, 2021 at 8:48 PM Geoff Pender <gtpe...@gmail.com> wrote:
Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but the quote I got from Ponoko was well over $100. I uploaded the transparent file and it estimated to be just over $40 for the one. So, I'm assuming that each sheet will be about the same cost? In light of that I contacted a local maker space. Their laser cutters are all 12". I'm not sure that I have the Inkscape skill to redraw/organize the originals to a 12x12 plate.

Geoff Pender

Jan 26, 2021, 9:19:38 PM1/26/21
to CrowB...@googlegroups.com
From what I can tell Ponoko has a price break at orders of 5 units. If I can get some more people to go in on materials I'd definitely think about it.

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Crow Box Kit" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/CrowBoxKit/CAFpb2w38JrgDV3S79wkWMWCB2Gy82fDDoXOW4kJjBwFKASxUAQ%40mail.gmail.com.

Josh Klein

Jan 28, 2021, 9:33:26 AM1/28/21
to CrowB...@googlegroups.com
Geoff,

There's a risk that there will be a lot of waste on 12x12 sheets because the body panels and lids only fit one to a sheet and there's not enough remaining space to fit other parts into. I.e., the acrylic cost could be high.

Just to verify, do you mean that the makerspace "12 inch cutters" have 12x12 beds? Because that seems very odd - 12x20 or 12x24 would be more typical. Put another way, if they are 12xsomething else, then this is a lot more viable.

Let us know!

Thanks,
Josh

On Tue, Jan 26, 2021 at 1:48 AM Geoff Pender <gtpe...@gmail.com> wrote:
Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but the quote I got from Ponoko was well over $100. I uploaded the transparent file and it estimated to be just over $40 for the one. So, I'm assuming that each sheet will be about the same cost? In light of that I contacted a local maker space. Their laser cutters are all 12". I'm not sure that I have the Inkscape skill to redraw/organize the originals to a 12x12 plate.

Josh Klein

Jan 28, 2021, 9:34:03 AM1/28/21
to CrowB...@googlegroups.com
This is super smart - if there's some sort of platform for facilitating folks signing up and going in on purchases/projects like this let us know!

- J

Conor Traynor

Jan 28, 2021, 7:29:34 PM1/28/21
to Crow Box Kit
Hi,

I'm considering making a CrowBox shortly - when I ran the numbers just before Christmas it was going to be cheaper and quicker to get parts laser cut locally here in Australia rather than instead of via Ponoko.

Kind Regards, Conor
VIC AU

Adam

Feb 3, 2021, 8:01:51 PM2/3/21
to Crow Box Kit
Hello,

I placed an order with Ponoko on Feb 1st, and I just received a tracking number for my order. The cost is pretty high, I was able to save about $40 by skipping on having them cut the polystyrene, I'll do that myself. Places like Hobby Lobby or Jo Anne,  other types of hobby stores (trains), and of course Amazon sell styrene sheets and its pretty easy to cut with a razor blade and ruler. The rain drop edge on the upper ramp could be cut with scalloping scissors.

Josh Klein

Feb 4, 2021, 8:05:02 AM2/4/21
to CrowB...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the update, Adam. It looks like Ponoko (and a few other places) have raised rates; we haven't found a better general-purpose option but are looking. For now, it may make the most sense to group orders together. Keep us posted in case anyone finds a good source!

- J

Geoff Pender

Feb 4, 2021, 12:58:24 PM2/4/21
to CrowB...@googlegroups.com
I got my estimate figured out. It ended up being around $150 which is more than I expected, but not too crazy. I don't personally have the means to buy a bulk order right now (I'm unemployed), but I do like the idea of getting people together to make a group purchase and save some money. The box I'm building now is for a (and funded by) a friend, but I'd really like to build one for my own yard. There are quite a few corvids in my area.