Research project

HANNAH LO

Mar 12, 2021, 4:31:42 AM3/12/21
to Crow Box Kit
Hi! I'm a biology undergrad from Singapore, and I'm going to be doing an honors project about urban bird behavior inspired by this setup later this year. I was just wondering if anyone else has done any small research project with the crowbox before? Also, have there been other non-corvid birds that have learnt to use it? Thanks!

Josh Klein

Mar 15, 2021, 8:45:44 AM3/15/21
to CrowB...@googlegroups.com
Hannah,

Good to hear from you! We've seen blue jays and other corvids using the box (but not through a complete training process.) What birds are you considering? As for research projects, some different school groups around the world have launched their own boxes (Israel, most recently). Let us know what sort of structure you're looking at and hopefully someone can pitch in ideas!

All best,
Josh

On Fri, Mar 12, 2021 at 9:31 AM HANNAH LO <hannahl...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi! I'm a biology undergrad from Singapore, and I'm going to be doing an honors project about urban bird behavior inspired by this setup later this year. I was just wondering if anyone else has done any small research project with the crowbox before? Also, have there been other non-corvid birds that have learnt to use it? Thanks!

HANNAH LO

Mar 15, 2021, 9:31:07 PM3/15/21
to Crow Box Kit
Hi Josh!
I'm looking at Javan mynas mostly - problem is they're very common in Singapore only and highly endangered everywhere else, so there isn't much research on them, so any experience with other species of starling would be great:) My research is basically on numerical sense, so I'll be trying to make some modifications to dispense specific amounts of food with different sized coins. Haven't quite figured out how yet though so any advice would help!

Hannah

Josh Klein

Mar 16, 2021, 7:08:47 AM3/16/21
to CrowB...@googlegroups.com
Anyone on the list have any experience with starlings?

Otherwise, I'd guess you'll have to heavily mod the box design to have different food trays for different food amounts. You may also have to do some detection hardware changes to determine different types of coins. The software and hardware are pretty well documented, so if you've got good hardware and software expertise you should have a pretty good base.  Let us know how you get on!

- J