RE: [Biochar] Special Issue - Bioenergy and Biochar: Repurposing Waste to Sustainable Energy and Materials

Anderson, Paul

Apr 17, 2020, 11:17:51 AM4/17/20
to ma...@biochar.groups.io, Carbon Dioxide Removal, Anderson, Paul

Dimitrios,    (And others on the Biochar discussion group can give opinions also.).

Would it be appropriate for your special issue to have a re-cast, re-focused version of what is in my document  (found at   www.woodgas.com/resources  ) about:

“Recognition of Biochar & Energy (BC&E) as a Separate Negative Emission Technology (NET)”.

It would not focus on the IAM aspects.   It would include a tracing back to see where the incorrect joining of biochar (BC) and soil carbon sequestration (SCS) was made (and then endorsed in high power publications).   This has been (and continues to be) to the great detriment of biochar as a negative emission technology.

If my document is incorrect, then this topic can be ignored and biochar will be lumped with SCS and BECCS can claim all the renewable energy value of biomass.

Proposal:  The rewrite would be a combined effort of numerous experts.   I would take a backseat.   At 76 years of age,  I am not seeking a peer reviewed article for my career advancement.  Maybe the article could be one of those short important position-type articles with 8 to 15 co-authors, such as appear occasionally in Science or Nature.   Include the authors like Furhman et al., Minx, and those others who have unfortunately perpetuated the error of SCS and BC&E being together and the unfortunate elevation of BECCS and  DACCS (for which the CCS is barely off the drawing board.)

Basically, the question is this:   Does the biochar community believe strongly enough in the role of BC&E for the future of our planet that it would present its claims with some vigor?

Paul

         Email:  psan...@ilstu.edu       Skype:   paultlud

Inventor of RoCC kilns for biochar and energy:  See  www.woodgas.com

Apr 17, 2020, 1:28:18 PM4/17/20
to Anderson, Paul, ma...@biochar.groups.io, Carbon Dioxide Removal
A very short explanation of the conceptual difference is very important, can you provide one that we can use?

A paper to cite would be great on details, but what is needed is a sentence or paragraph.

Thomas J. F. Goreau, PhD
President, Global Coral Reef Alliance
Chief Scientist, Blue Regeneration SL
President, Biorock Technology Inc.
Technical Advisor, Blue Guardians Programme, SIDS DOCK
37 Pleasant Street, Cambridge, MA 02139
gor...@globalcoral.org
www.globalcoral.org
Skype: tomgoreau
Tel: (1) 617-864-4226 leave message

Books:
Geotherapy: Innovative Methods of Soil Fertility Restoration, Carbon Sequestration, and Reversing CO2 Increase
http://www.crcpress.com/product/isbn/9781466595392

Innovative Methods of Marine Ecosystem Restoration
http://www.crcpress.com/product/isbn/9781466557734

No one can change the past, everybody can change the future

<image002.png>

<image004.png>

Energies

Energies, an international, peer-reviewed Open Access journal.
_._,_._,_

Groups.io Links:

View/Reply Online (#27181) | Reply To Group | Reply To Sender | Mute This Topic | New Topic

_._,_._,_

Andrew Lockley

Apr 17, 2020, 4:49:03 PM4/17/20
to Thomas Goreau, Anderson, Paul, Carbon Dioxide Removal
As far as I understand it, this is about using in-vessel heating of energy crops. This drives off first steam and then syngas - ultimately to power a turbine, or to fuel a town gas / coal gas grid. It's possible to use direct combustion in oxygen-depleted air to externally heat a steam boiler, but that loses a lot of carbon from the feedstock.

The above may be partially or completely wrong.

Andrew

Thomas Goreau

Apr 17, 2020, 4:58:48 PM4/17/20
to Andrew Lockley, Anderson, Paul, Carbon Dioxide Removal
Sorry, I was referring to:

biochar will be lumped with SCS and BECCS can claim all the renewable energy value of biomass.

How do you explain the difference between biochar and SCS (and BECCS) concisely? To me Biochar is a form of SCS, among other benefits?

Thomas J. F. Goreau, PhD
President, Global Coral Reef Alliance
Chief Scientist, Blue Regeneration SL
President, Biorock Technology Inc.
Technical Advisor, Blue Guardians Programme, SIDS DOCK
37 Pleasant Street, Cambridge, MA 02139
gor...@globalcoral.org
www.globalcoral.org
Skype: tomgoreau
Tel: (1) 617-864-4226 leave message

Books:
Geotherapy: Innovative Methods of Soil Fertility Restoration, Carbon Sequestration, and Reversing CO2 Increase
http://www.crcpress.com/product/isbn/9781466595392

Innovative Methods of Marine Ecosystem Restoration
http://www.crcpress.com/product/isbn/9781466557734

No one can change the past, everybody can change the future

Andrew Lockley

Apr 17, 2020, 5:12:32 PM4/17/20
to Thomas Goreau, Anderson, Paul, Carbon Dioxide Removal
SCS includes organic carbon, in the form of root matter and detritus. Biochar is (mostly) inorganic carbon, as graphite.

Thomas Goreau

Greg Rau

Apr 17, 2020, 8:14:46 PM4/17/20
to Andrew Lockley, Thomas Goreau, Anderson, Paul, Carbon Dioxide Removal
Guys,
Unless/until you have something substantial to report, could you take this biochar dialogue offline of CDR?
Thanks,
Greg

Anderson, Paul

Apr 17, 2020, 9:18:54 PM4/17/20
to Thomas Goreau, Andrew Lockley, Carbon Dioxide Removal, Bio...@groups.io, Anderson, Paul

Dear Thomas,

I am glad that you asked so clearly:

How do you explain the difference between biochar and SCS (and BECCS) concisely? To me Biochar is a form of SCS, among other benefits?

                The  proper classification of NETs should be focused on how carbon dioxide removal (CDR) occurs.  The mutually exclusive types of carbon sequestration, their typical duration and the associated NETs are listed in Table 1:

Table 1:  Types of carbon sequestration, processes, duration, associated NETs, status and comments

Type

Processes

Duration

Associated NETs

Status

Additional notes

Inorganic chemistry: mineralization and pH change

Create solid minerals on land or sea or change pH

Potentially long-term stability

Enhanced Weathering (EW) with ocean  alkalinization and Ocean fertilization (OF).

Chemically possible but major application is mostly theoretical and conjecture

If applicable someday, would be expensive.  An “affluent world” approach.

CO2 capture and storage:

CCS

Capture CO2 from air or chimneys, render transportable, put into storage

Potentially long-term stability; caution with leakage issues

Carbon capture and storage (CCS) for chimneys (BECCS) and Direct air (DACCS); always with storage.

Experimental and expensive demos; some for injection to assist fracking for fossil fuel increase

If CCS works and if at scale, would be extremely expensive.  Requires energy.  Moral hazard. An “affluent world” approach.

Organic carbon:

Living and dead biomass

Photosynthesis creates biomass from CO2, H2O and sunlight.

Decomposition makes this carbon neutral.

In soil for a few years or in forests for several decades; value is in potential volume

Soil carbon sequestration (SCS) and Afforestation and reforestation (AR).  Optional to support BC&E; misleading to support BECCS.

Already part of nature and would be good agro-forestry practice if financial returns went to where the work is done.

If without guidance and support, this is agro-forestry as usual, which does not solve the problem.  There are limits to plant growth.  Worldwide participation.

Elemental carbon:

Charcoal

Biochar

Use pyrolysis of biomass to create solid carbon as charcoal / biochar with release of energy.

Multi-century or millennial.  Protection from burning is required and is natural in soil.

Biochar (BC), proposed to be called Biochar and Energy (BC&E) because it increases energy supply while creating stable carbon removal.

Ready for scale-up with new methods; need increased R&D for improvements.  Additional benefits being evaluated.

Intercepts organic carbon before it decomposes.  Can be by both rich and poor.  Liberates energy.  Decentralized.  Safe.

Worldwide participation.

Soil Carbon Sequestration (SCS) and biochar are fundamentally different in each of the six columns in the above table.  If for no other reason, the duration of biochar for centennial or millennial sequestration is what is needed, but SCS is for yearly or decadal duration.  Just because the main destination of biochar is into soil does not make stable graphene elemental carbon the same as organic carbohydrates that decompose.   Whales live in the oceans but that does not make them the same as fish or plankton.  The classification needs to be correct.  And that is also true as to why CCS is not the same as biochar (BC).

The above table is at the start of my document which is at   www.woodgas.com/resources :

Recognition of Biochar & Energy (BC&E) as a

Separate Negative Emission Technology (NET) for

Improving Integrated Assessment Modeling (IAM)

In regard to BECCS, my document goes on to point out that the energy in biomass can be liberated via complete burning to CO2 (as in BECCS) or via pyrolysis that yields biochar (as in BC&E – Yes, I emphasize the energy (E) with biochar (BC that ready for operational sequestration) in the same way that BECCS emphasizes the bioenergy (BE) with carbon capture and storage (CCS that not yet ready for operational sequestration).  Again, that is a fundamental difference that should be highlighted as crucial for efforts for CDR.

Because my document is a response to the Fuhrman et al. (2019) publication, I also give attention to how biochar & energy (BC&E) has complementary benefits (not tradeoffs) with many of the sustainable development goals (SDG).   This is in stark contrast with the other NETs (excluding AR and somewhat SCS) that have so little relationship with the SDGs and the 80% of the world that is not affluent.

In particular, I point out how pyrolytic cookstoves (commonly called TLUD = “tee-lud” stoves) are true BC&E devices that give the energy for cooking with pyrolytic gases while providing biochar that could be sequestered.  If made available to the poorest bottom  three-fifths of households, each one-fifth could contribute over 2 gigatons of CO2 sequestration PER YEAR while the people are cooking their food with LESS of the same wood and crop-residue fuels that they currently burn.   I do hope that many will read the full explanation that cites the on-going project in India from which the quantitative data are taken.   [Note:  This happens to be my specialty for the past 18 years.]

The document goes on to present about biomass supply, pyrolytic technology,  the latest Drawdown Review 2020 solutions, and scaling up to over 10 gigatons CO2 for CDR per year, within this decade and continuing past 2100.   And do not forget the energy that will be available to partially replace fossil fuels and to save electricity that should not be expended on low- value heating purposes.

I sincerely hope that some of you will read that document and reply.   Tear it to pieces, or embrace it, or pick and choose what to like or discard.   But in the end, we who have good intentions for CDR must decide if this “bird in the hand” is something to consider for the now and near future.

Paul

         Email:  psan...@ilstu.edu       Skype:   paultlud

Inventor of RoCC kilns for biochar and energy:  See  www.woodgas.com

Anderson, Paul

Apr 17, 2020, 11:59:08 PM4/17/20
to brianc...@yahoo.com, Thomas Goreau, Andrew Lockley, Carbon Dioxide Removal, bio...@groups.io, Anderson, Paul

Brian,

Your comments are appreciated.   I do NOT have the needed knowledge to adequately represent what is in the first row of the table.   You do, and I am glad that you have expressed it for all to read.   In my defense, my document (and table) are focused on the biochar and soil carbon and BECCS issues.   So, I am glad for your reply about EW.

About you house, let’s talk.   I will recommend a refinement of the RoCC kiln instead of a TLUD device.   That discussion can be off-list.   Intro info (not about home heating) is in the RoCC Kiln Manual at the www.woodgas.com/resources  page.  My personal email address is in my signature block below.

Paul

         Email:  psan...@ilstu.edu       Skype:   paultlud

Inventor of RoCC kilns for biochar and energy:  See  www.woodgas.com

Apr 18, 2020, 6:38:38 AM4/18/20
to Anderson, Paul, Andrew Lockley, Carbon Dioxide Removal, Bio...@groups.io
Thanks for this!

I fully agree with you on the different lifetimes and benefits of different forms of carbon, its more of definitional issue.

The ambiguity for me is that biochar is just one group of soil carbon compounds among so many, so I think of Biochar as part of SCS, and THE MOST EFFECTIVE AND LONG LASTING form of SCS, rather than as a separate category.

The same gradient in quality BETWEEN biochar and ordinary soil carbon also exists WITHIN the biochar category, depending on the starting materials and conditions of formation.

The distinction seems to be operational, how it is made, rather than how it acts in the soil itself.

In many parts of the world, in fact pretty much wherever forests were cleared for agriculture, pastures, or cities, roughly half of soil carbon is made up of the various forms of biochar, from charcoal to black elemental carbon.

Thomas J. F. Goreau, PhD
President, Global Coral Reef Alliance
Chief Scientist, Blue Regeneration SL
President, Biorock Technology Inc.
Technical Advisor, Blue Guardians Programme, SIDS DOCK
37 Pleasant Street, Cambridge, MA 02139
gor...@globalcoral.org
www.globalcoral.org
Skype: tomgoreau
Tel: (1) 617-864-4226 leave message

Books:
Geotherapy: Innovative Methods of Soil Fertility Restoration, Carbon Sequestration, and Reversing CO2 Increase
http://www.crcpress.com/product/isbn/9781466595392

Innovative Methods of Marine Ecosystem Restoration
http://www.crcpress.com/product/isbn/9781466557734

No one can change the past, everybody can change the future

Benoit Lambert

Apr 18, 2020, 9:11:44 AM4/18/20
to Thomas Goreau, Anderson, Paul, Andrew Lockley, Carbon Dioxide Removal, Bio...@groups.io
Thomas, lists,

A reason to cheer.

In January 2018, Thomas Goreau wrote a well felt reaction to Paul Hawken regarding the positioning of soils in Drawdown listing, of biochar in particular. Thomas was critical of the overweigh given to « peer reviewed literature » to produce the listing. I wrote a blog in relation to this exchange.

On April 10 this year, I also wrote a reaction to Drawdown Review 2020, referring to Thomas’ and my previous comments two years earlier — manifesting my satisfaction to see biochar going up the list, insisting it should go further up.

Now Albert Bates and Kathleen Draper’s book on biochar Burn: Using Fire to Cool the Earth is coming out with a new cover, a new title, and a quotation from Paul Hawken: "A brilliant, climactic coup that uplifts biochar to an entirely new level of substance and urgency!"

No idea if we had any influence, but something is sure, biochar and soils’s as a solution to the climate crisis are making serious progress. Drawdown and bioneers crowd will pay more attention.

Anderson, Paul

Apr 18, 2020, 2:04:47 PM4/18/20
to Thomas Goreau, Andrew Lockley, Carbon Dioxide Removal, Bio...@groups.io

Thomas,

Please allow me to disagree.   I will use YOUR words:

The ambiguity for me is that biochar is just one group of soil carbon compounds among so many

Really?   Is an almost unending sequence of carbon atoms (with a touch of ash minerals) really a compound?   C-C-C-C-C-C-C-C-C-     is rather different than C6H12O6 (generic carbohydrates).

Biochar is carbon.    80%+ pure carbon.   With tremendous long term stability (unless it is burned.)  Carbohydrates are destined to decay in relatively short time periods.

I think of Biochar as … THE MOST EFFECTIVE AND LONG LASTING form of SCS, rather than as a separate category.

But isn’t the characteristic of being longer lasting (by two to four orders of magnitude of time) precisely what should make biochar extremely more important to people like us who seek CDR that stays as CDR rather than be equated with the short-life organic matter in the soil?

The same gradient in quality BETWEEN biochar and ordinary soil carbon also exists WITHIN the biochar category, depending on the starting materials and conditions of formation.

The SAME gradient???   That seems far fetched.   But you do add on the “depends on…” phrase that allows you to maybe find some extreme case.   Sorry, I do not buy into your statement.

The distinction seems to be operational, how it is made, rather than how it acts in the soil itself.

“… how it is made…”  Yes.  That is important.  Biomass is by photosynthesis and highly diverse plant growth.  And biochar is by thermochemical pyrolysis with highly uniform alignment of carbon atoms.   To me, that distinction really separates biochar from soil  carbon in operational terms of how they is made.

But you focus on how they act in the soil.   That distinction is even greater.   If that is not evident, I leave it to the experts on soil organic carbon to compare notes with the experts on soil  inorganic (pyrolytic) carbon.

“… wherever forests were cleared … roughly half of soil carbon is made up of the various forms of biochar, from charcoal to black elemental carbon.”

I had not heard that before.   And I doubt it.   (others can clarify, please.)   But even if true, what we are discussing (which is the CDR value of biochar), the issue is to put carbon back into soils.   And according to your statement, that would mean putting roughly half back as organic carbon (SCS) and to somehow also putting roughly half back as biochar / elemental carbon.   And the latter would require making and sequestering biochar.

From another message that you sent soon after the one below, you wrote:

Unfortunately it [the types of CDR and the various forms of carbon] need to be put in very simple and short terms for most people to listen.

I can agree about people needing simple and short terms, but I certainly disagree about organic carbon and biochar being … variants from the same population …  [referring to carbon in soil].   People know the difference between a piece of charcoal and a decaying root or leaf litter.   To combine them is what causes confusion.   To  talk about long-term sequestration REQUIRES the distinction of organic SCS from biochar.

To use (or abuse) your desire to combine two major CDR types / technologies, one could argue that both BECCS and DACCS are really together, just separated by the level of concentration of CO2 in chimneys versus ambient air.  Minor difference?   Or enhanced weathering (EW) with associated ocean alkalinization in the oceans might be combined with ocean fertilization (OF).   They are all in the oceans.  Are they not just a slight matter of chemistry?   And timing?   And budgets?   When dealing with the common person, we must not underestimate their abilities to understand somethings.   We need to teach them and to point out what are the real differences.   Then they can understand and can become supportive.

In summary, I maintain that Biochar and Energy (BC&E) is and should be recognized as one of the major negative emission technologies (NETs) to accomplish CDR.  If we cannot among ourselves have better recognition of the NETs, and especially about BC&E which is the most currently ready way to get moving for gigaton CDR, then our goal for climate stability is so much further away.

We (the world) need(s) all the tools we can muster to accomplish CDR.  Just like hammers, saws, wrenches, drills, etc. each have specific functions for building a house, biochar (BC) is a tool separate from SCS, EW, DACCS, etc.  They each have separate functions for saving a planet from climatic devastation.

In my document about “Recognition of BC&E…” I have suggested that there be a unified correction to the improper lumping of biochar with SCS.   That could be a “statement” or a peer reviewed (short) document with many many co-authors, including those of the U.S. National Academy of Sciences (2019), European Academies Science Advisory Council (2018) and Fuhrman et al. (2019) that have propagated the error.   Let’s try to get this right.

Respectfully submitted,

Paul

         Email:  psan...@ilstu.edu       Skype:   paultlud

Inventor of RoCC kilns for biochar and energy:  See  www.woodgas.com

Apr 18, 2020, 2:17:15 PM4/18/20
to Anderson, Paul, Thomas Goreau, Andrew Lockley, Carbon Dioxide Removal, Bio...@groups.io

This CDR group seems to have been taken over by biochar back and forths and its flooding my email.  Is there a way to opt out of ‘biochar’ or do I need to remove myself from the CDR group?

Best regards,

Dr. Mike Biddle

Managing Director | Evok Innovations

San Francisco Bay Area Office

c: 925-393-9129

e: mi...@evokinnovations.com

Sign up here to get the latest news from Evok Innovations!

Greg Rau

Apr 18, 2020, 2:33:55 PM4/18/20
to Anderson, Paul, Thomas Goreau, Mike Biddle, Andrew Lockley, Carbon Dioxide Removal, bio...@groups.io
Dear Biocharians,
This is my second warning. The CDR list is not a chat room. It's a list of 450+ members that is reserved for sharing significant new info on  CDR. Please take the personal chatter/disagreements offline and get back to us if/when significant, new information becomes available. Violators will be removed from the list.
Thanks,
Greg Rau
CDR Moderator