Fwd: Geoengineering the oceans: an emerging frontier in international climate change governance

Greg Rau

Nov 13, 2017, 11:57:15 PM11/13/17
to Carbon Dioxide Removal
ABSTRACT International climate change policy is increasingly reliant upon future large-scale removal and sequestration of greenhouse gases from the atmosphere. Assumptions on the development of ‘negative emissions’ technologies are built into recent IPCC emissions modelling and the 2015 Paris Agreement. Terrestrial proposals, such as bioenergy with carbon capture and storage, may be of limited benefit as the estimated land required would be vast and may negatively impact upon food security. The world's oceans could play an important role in meeting international climate change targets. ‘Marine geoengineering’ is being proposed to enhance the oceans capacity to sequester emissions and enhance the Earth's albedo. This article draws on discussions at a recent Marine Geoengineering Symposium held at the University of Tasmania to highlight prominent marine geoengineering proposals and raise questions about the readiness of the international law system to govern further research and implementation of these ideas.”

Peter Eisenberger

Nov 14, 2017, 4:46:26 AM11/14/17
to Greg Rau, Carbon Dioxide Removal, Michael MacCracken
This highlights again the intellectual chaos that is dominating the dialoque about what best to do in CDR -with opportunistic poorly concieved approaches at the global scale
insert themselves into the global climate community consciousness . The two poster childs for this are corn based ethanol and BECCS . Both are clearly deficient as a global solution
with negative feedbacks yet both have reached greater acceptance than other approaches that do not suffer from their downside -eg lack scalability and compete with the use of land for food and other ecological sevices. The advocates continue to fight but the larger community knows that they suffer from significant liabilities and will not get us to where we need to be. And their correctly identified liabilities are used to tarnish approaches that could be useful -resulting in paralysis by analysis

 Now it might be I will be surprised  and the academy study on CDR will breakthrough this intellectual chaos and provide a prioritized action plan to address the challenge we face.  I fear it will produce  the normal report that is geared to supporting arguments for increased research to feed the University and Professors need for support.. Alternatively if that effort fails  we in the CDR community should try and use and enlarge the network that these discussions are creating to establish a group of what I call elders -people who are very advanced in their carreer where they are  known for their intellectual ability and independence and expertise and desire to see action. An example might be Michael  MacCracken .  While I diagree with Mike I do not doubt for a moment his determination to do what is best . We would all agree to support the prioritized CDR effort that it would recommend an action  plan for moving forward. At this point it would be a great achievement if we could get the focus on CDR efforts that can lead our efforts rather than debating and fighting about ones we know cannot lead our efforts

On Mon, Nov 13, 2017 at 8:57 PM, Greg Rau <gh...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
[...]

CONFIDENTIAL INFORMATION: This email message and all attachments contain confidential and privileged information that are for the sole use of the intended recipients, which if appropriate applies under the terms of the non-disclosure agreement between the parties.

Wil Burns

Nov 14, 2017, 11:53:37 AM11/14/17
to Peter Eisenberger, Greg Rau, Carbon Dioxide Removal, Michael MacCracken

Our sense of the NAS study process is that there is no path dependency (yet). I think it’s incumbent upon all of us, whatever our positions, to stay engaged in the process and help ensure that all potentially viable options are discussed.

The NAS has also expressed interest in discussing social science issues of import in this context, including the role of public deliberation and governance issues. Many members of this list can assist in helping the Academy formulate a coherent research agenda and governance framework. wil

photo

Dr. Wil Burns
Co-Executive Director, Forum for Climate Engineering Assessment, School of International Service, American University

650.281.9126 | w...@feronia.org | http://www.ceassessment.org | Skype: wil.burns |
2650 Haste St., Towle Hall #G07, Berkeley, CA 94720| View my research on my SSRN Author page: http://ssrn.com/author=240348

https://s3.amazonaws.com/images.wisestamp.com/icons_32/linkedin.png https://s3.amazonaws.com/images.wisestamp.com/icons_32/twitter.png

Bruce Melton -- Austin, Texas

Nov 14, 2017, 12:42:14 PM11/14/17
to CarbonDiox...@googlegroups.com

Hola List:

This easy to read popular press article by Peter Wadhams demonstrates how fantastic the current needs is for very large negative emissions capable of immediate reversal of warming to levels far below warming experienced today.

The Global Impacts of Rapidly Disappearing Arctic Sea Ice
BY PETER WADHAMS  • SEPTEMBER 26, 2016
Yale Environment 360

https://e360.yale.edu/features/as_arctic_ocean_ice_disappears_global_climate_impacts_intensify_wadhams

Bruce Melton PE
CEO, Climate Change Now Initiative, 501c3
President, Melton Engineering Services Austin
8103 Kirkham
Austin, Texas 78736
512 799-7998

www.ClimateDiscovery.org -- over 400 reports on the most recent climate science.