Spinnaker Halyard Line?

Alexander Meller

Jul 6, 2022, 2:20:19 PM7/6/22
to 505 West, 505-nort...@googlegroups.com, Craig Thompson, Mike Coe, Fiona Lockwood, Allan F Johnson
What do people like for spinnaker halyard line?  This is for crew hoist in case you have different favourites.

I think some are using: FSE ROBLINE DINGHY STAR 6MM
though 6mm seems a bit on the thicker side to me.
Does anyone strip the cover?  I think a bit of cover at the end tied to the head of the spinnaker, such that the wear point at the spinnaker halyard sheave is covered, and then again where it cleats and perhaps part of what you pull up would work.  The retrieval end does not need to be low stretch, but you want it as light as possible and a softer line would not wear grooves in the launcher tube (noticeable on forward tack/side launcher 505s.

P&B has a "Windtech" halyard: https://www.pinbax.com/p-b-505-rope-spinnaker-halyard-crew-hoist-windtech-p6807... I'm not sure what line that is

Thanks,

Ali
--
Alexander "Ali" Meller

Mike Martin

Jul 6, 2022, 2:21:31 PM7/6/22
to 505-usa-w...@googlegroups.com, 505-nort...@googlegroups.com, Craig Thompson, Mike Coe, Fiona Lockwood, Allan F Johnson
I use Dinghy Star Pro 4mm

Sent from my iPhone

Craig Ramsay

Jul 6, 2022, 2:28:21 PM7/6/22
to 505-usa-w...@googlegroups.com
From sailing with Howie/the ABYC fleet a couple years back, I know all of those boats are rigged with Dinghy Star Pro, the gold line. Difference between the two is core, Pro has an SK99 core (vs SK78 in regular Dinghy Star) which is honestly unnecessary as you’re not reaching its load maximum most likely. On the boats I sail on, I try to get some dinghy star pro swapped in nonetheless as I find it more grippy than the regular stuff, the higher PBO content in the cover is for sure the reason for that. Potentially the Pro will last less time due to this as well.

In terms of size, on a VX One and Viper 640, I specify 5mm typically, but on a 505 and i14 typically specify 4mm.
I’m not a full time rigger, I do composites mostly, but I work closely and am good friends with quite a few riggers/rigging shops here in SoCal.

Hope that helps.

Howard Hamlin

Jul 6, 2022, 2:34:09 PM7/6/22
to 505-usa-w...@googlegroups.com, 505-nort...@googlegroups.com, Allan F Johnson, Craig Thompson, Fiona Lockwood, Mike Coe
We use Dinghy Star 6mm and strip the cover where it is in the wind.

Craig Ramsay

Jul 6, 2022, 2:35:00 PM7/6/22
to 505-usa-w...@googlegroups.com, 505-nort...@googlegroups.com, Allan F Johnson, Craig Thompson, Fiona Lockwood, Mike Coe
I was mistaken then.

Cheers,
Craig Ramsay

Aaron Ross

Jul 6, 2022, 2:46:19 PM7/6/22
to 505 WC Group, 505-nort...@googlegroups.com, Allan F Johnson, Craig Thompson, Fiona Lockwood, Mike Coe
Sounds like 4mm dinghy star pro is the call for skipper hoist or lazy self-riggers.

Alexander Meller

Jul 6, 2022, 3:15:39 PM7/6/22
to 505 Class American Section, Mike Martin, 505 West, 505-nort...@googlegroups.com, Craig Thompson, Mike Coe, Fiona Lockwood, Allan F Johnson
Dave,

In case it makes you feel vindicated in your choice, 9200 (rigged by P&B) came with 4mm Marlow pre-stretch ...

Ali

On Wed, Jul 6, 2022 at 2:46 PM Dave Kirkpatrick <da...@usa505.org> wrote:
After battling with the Dinghy Star putting itself into a**hole knots on every takedown at the first regatta we did with 8951 we switched to 4mm Marlow pre-stretch and haven't looked back. It never hockles, it's durable, it cleats well, you get about 3 months of notice before wear gets critical, you end-for-end it once, and it's cheap enough that replacing it is an afterthought. **thanks to the great everything shortage of 2021/2022 we are now using the 4mm Robline knockoff which has been great so far.

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "505 North America" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/505-north-america/2F3FC20E-72A4-4484-857A-65CDC6A0E174%40gmail.com.

Alexander "Ali" Meller

Richard Mundell

Jul 6, 2022, 4:48:43 PM7/6/22
to 505-usa-w...@googlegroups.com, 505-nort...@googlegroups.com, Craig Thompson, Mike Coe, Fiona Lockwood, Allan F Johnson
Whatever you choose, (4mm) buy some atlas gloves for your crews. Makes all the difference IMHO.

Love the star pro personally but find it doesn’t matter much with the grippy gloves.

Rich

Sent from my iPhone

On Jul 6, 2022, at 11:20 AM, Alexander Meller <alexande...@gmail.com> wrote:

Mike Martin

Jul 6, 2022, 4:52:00 PM7/6/22
to Alexander Meller, 505 Class American Section, 505 West, 505 NA Group, Craig Thompson, Mike Coe, Fiona Lockwood, Allan F Johnson
If you can't find the marlo prestretch , you could use shock cord. They have similar stretch characteristics :-)

Mike Martin

Jul 6, 2022, 4:52:56 PM7/6/22
to Alexander Meller, 505 Class American Section, 505 West, 505 NA Group, Craig Thompson, Mike Coe, Fiona Lockwood, Allan F Johnson

Mike Holt

Jul 6, 2022, 5:18:43 PM7/6/22
to 505-usa-w...@googlegroups.com, Alexander Meller, 505 Class American Section, 505 NA Group, Craig Thompson, Mike Coe, Fiona Lockwood, Allan F Johnson

I find the shot cord is better for sheets, bit of gust response allows the crew to look around more….

Ryan Nelson

Jul 6, 2022, 9:51:51 PM7/6/22
to 505-usa-w...@googlegroups.com, Alexander Meller, 505 Class American Section, 505 NA Group, Craig Thompson, Mike Coe, Fiona Lockwood, Allan F Johnson
I stock the 4mm dinghy star pro and the 6mm dinghy star. I’m a fan of using either one on our crew set/douse boat. Definitely gotta strip the 6mm. This past month on our skipper set douse boat I have been using Robline Dinghy Polytech 4mm. Which is a super grippy polyester Technora blended cover with a sk-78 core. Happy with it so far as it’s a tiny version of what I use on my big boat projects. I stock them all!

Ryan Nelson
Rogue Rigging

Tim Murphy

Jul 6, 2022, 11:29:12 PM7/6/22
to 505-usa-w...@googlegroups.com
I use dinghy star pro 5 (or 6), not 4. Best ever for halyard. Great wear life and grip. Runs so well but not too fast that it’s in the water before you can retrieve it. I want every pull on the chute to move the boat forward without stretch. Never kinks

Tim Murphy

On Wed, Jul 6, 2022 at 11:20 AM Alexander Meller <alexande...@gmail.com> wrote:
Tim Murphy

Geoff Hurwitch

Jul 7, 2022, 3:50:08 PM7/7/22
to 505 WC Group
On the same subject, how long is the halyard for a launcher?  I'm a bit rusty on my line lengths and I may order some dinghy star 4mm from Vela to rig the new mast.

We're working towards showing up at the October events for the first time in many years with a rebuilt 7772.

Larry Tuttle

Jul 7, 2022, 11:30:31 PM7/7/22
to 505-usa-w...@googlegroups.com, 505-nort...@googlegroups.com
Steve uses 5/32” / 4mm Marlow p/s, not 3/16

Larry Tuttle

Waterat Sailing Equipment
mail: P.O.Box 2790 Santa Cruz, CA 95063
shop: 565 McQuaide Dr. La Selva Beach, CA 95076

831-768-1520