Win 10 Build 21H1 breaks SMB 1.0 printer UNC path support

ad...@reviews.wox.org

Oct 17, 2021, 8:07:02 PM10/17/21
to 2600-australia

Just a heads up that SMB 1.0 support in the latest windows 10 build 21H1 update seems to be broken for the print protocol even if it is enabled in "turn windows features on/off"  Not sure if this is universal so your milage may vary depending on the given scenario.

Your print queue will simply throw "error printing" or if you view the UNC path directly eg \\1.2.3.4\yourprinter it will throw an error 0x00000709

File sharing SMB 1.0 support appears to be unaffected, and will continue to work as expected.

This means some older SMB based printer sharing devices/print servers, samba linux print servers, and older windows workstations with shared printers may be unable to print any more if you upgrade your windows 10 past build 2004.

Previously this issue has cropped up in earlier versions of windows, and was fixed by either a "net use lpt2: \\path\printer" then using lpt2 in printer setup or changing registry permissions to full control on application packages/restricted/administrators in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\Windows

But this does not appear to work in build 21H1

I will let you know if I find a work around, although I expect only a minority of you may be impacted by the issue anyway, since it is unlikely any of you are reproposing old hardware for print servers.

If anyone else knows a work around let me know..    it is inconvenient to have to pdf work request documents and copy them over the network to print at the moment, and I cant move the printer to a newer machine as a cash register needs to print to it!

--
New and improved 2600... well..  ..we drew on some flames and polished it a bit..

Kent

Oct 17, 2021, 11:28:15 PM10/17/21
to 2600-au...@googlegroups.com
Have you tried adding the server to the trusted list?
[Hkey_local_machine\software\policies\microsoft\windows nt\printers\pointandprint\]
"Serverlist"="1.2.3.4"

ad...@reviews.wox.org

Nov 10, 2021, 11:20:56 PM11/10/21
to 2600-au...@googlegroups.com
That fix doesn't seem to work.

Well the same update seems to have rolled out on my cafe computers now, (it effects windows home and pro) and all of them cant print either. Time to buy a dedicated network print server I guess.

I might try to uninstall updates on the cafe machine until the problem goes away to narrow it down to the exact update, (although  half the time it wont let you bloody MS)

On Mon, 18 Oct. 2021, 11:07 am ad...@reviews.wox.org, <ad...@reviews.wox.org> wrote:

[...]

In politics - Later never happens.

ad...@reviews.wox.org

Nov 11, 2021, 6:06:13 PM11/11/21
to 2600-au...@googlegroups.com
And like a fool, i remove a Microsoft KB to see if it fixes
it. The first one does, and i immediately kick myself for
not writing down which one it was.

face palm moment.

On 11/11/2021 3:20 pm, ad...@reviews.wox.org wrote:
> That fix doesn't seem to work.
>
> Well the same update seems to have rolled out on my cafe
> computers now, (it effects windows home and pro) and all
> of them cant print either. Time to buy a dedicated network
> print server I guess.
>
> I might try to uninstall updates on the cafe machine until
> the problem goes away to narrow it down to the exact
> update, (although  half the time it wont let you bloody MS)

ad...@reviews.wox.org

Nov 25, 2021, 7:54:53 PM11/25/21
to 2600-australia

Well in the internet cafe side at least, it was KB5007186 to blame, the same update will throw page fault in non paged area after install on a few older ASUS gaming laptops too i notice.  A quick search online suggests this sh*tty update breaks a few other things too.

Sadly removing that update doesn't fix my accounting machine, as presumably the same breaking change went out in one of the updates installed after it too.

I did notice tho, on some machines that a weird "printing software update" appeared on some machines after kb5007186 crashed a few times.  It seems pretty random, but at a guess some printer makers running smb on their printers complained, and MS did a patch so theirs still work.

I've got another client who's own (quite recent model) printers stopped working around the same time, so I am surprised this breaking change hasn't popped up more.

I guess hardly anyone uses network printers, or they didn't make the connection and just got a new printer that didn't use SMB.

--
New and improved 2600... well..  ..we drew on some flames and polished it a bit..
--
Google - making sure, life is no more, than 1984...
--
In politics - Later never happens.

Sid E

Nov 26, 2021, 9:27:44 AM11/26/21
to 2600-au...@googlegroups.com

PC LOAD LETTER

What the fuck does that mean?

Disclaimer: Comments to this mailing list are owned by the poster

ad...@reviews.wox.org

Nov 28, 2021, 6:22:15 PM11/28/21
to 2600-au...@googlegroups.com, Sid E
That you can probably still print, but Bill Gates is angry at you because you didn't buy paper from his US factory that only makes Imperial Letter Size.

:P

Either that or you are required to load a politically correct apology letter, perhaps you don't identify as one of the zillion imaginary non-genders society expects now..

On 27/11/2021 1:27 am, Sid E wrote:

PC LOAD LETTER

What the fuck does that mean?