Re: Issue 572 in zxing: Add Data Matrix encoder

zx...@googlecode.com

Oct 1, 2010, 5:44:57 AM10/1/10
to zx...@googlegroups.com
Updates:
Labels: Type-Enhancement Priority-Medium

Comment #1 on issue 572 by sro...@gmail.com: Add Data Matrix encoder
http://code.google.com/p/zxing/issues/detail?id=572

There is no DM encoder now. I can mark this as an enhancement and you're
welcome to write it. I don't think anyone plans to work on it otherwise.

zx...@googlecode.com

Oct 28, 2010, 9:01:03 AM10/28/10
to zx...@googlegroups.com

Comment #2 on issue 572 by King8633: Add Data Matrix encoder
http://code.google.com/p/zxing/issues/detail?id=572

For what purpose would a DM Encoder be used for this application?

zx...@googlecode.com

Oct 28, 2010, 1:12:16 PM10/28/10
to zx...@googlegroups.com

Comment #3 on issue 572 by gaetano.scioscia: Add Data Matrix encoder
http://code.google.com/p/zxing/issues/detail?id=572

I think that such a package (zXing, I mean) could acquire more value if a
complete set of Barcode encoders would be plugged in. Specially taking in
count that very few open source projects (probably just one) candidate
themselves to be a complete solution (encoding-decoding) for barcode
manipulation.
Thank in count that in Europe DM barcodes are prevailing over other kind of
2D barcodes.

zx...@googlecode.com

Nov 2, 2010, 3:56:12 AM11/2/10
to zx...@googlegroups.com

Comment #4 on issue 572 by jeremias...@gmail.com: Add Data Matrix encoder
http://code.google.com/p/zxing/issues/detail?id=572

DataMatrix production in Java is available over at Barcode4J
(http://barcode4j.sf.net). zxing is welcome to fork DM from my
implementation. After all, both projects use the same license.

zx...@googlecode.com

May 12, 2011, 12:22:30 AM5/12/11
to zx...@googlegroups.com

Comment #5 on issue 572 by voyagerfan5761: Add Data Matrix encoder
http://code.google.com/p/zxing/issues/detail?id=572

Forking from Barcode4J sounds like a great solution. My personal wishlist
of contributions to make (to various FLOSS projects) includes this
enhancement.

zx...@googlecode.com

Oct 19, 2011, 11:57:58 AM10/19/11
to zx...@googlegroups.com

Comment #6 on issue 572 by guillaum...@gmail.com: Add Data Matrix encoder
http://code.google.com/p/zxing/issues/detail?id=572

I have implemented a DataMatrix encoded for zxing.
The algorithm mainly rely on the barcode4j implementation.

I have created a diff file with the modifications.

Attachments:
datamatrix_encoder.diff 127 KB

zx...@googlecode.com

Feb 6, 2012, 7:02:10 AM2/6/12
to zx...@googlegroups.com

Comment #7 on issue 572 by triet...@gmail.com: Add Data Matrix encoder
http://code.google.com/p/zxing/issues/detail?id=572

Unfortunately this DataMatrix encoder is not included in version ZXing-2.0.
Why?
Is it not finished?
When will it be added to a ZXing release? Do you plan to add the DataMatrix
encoder?

zx...@googlecode.com

Feb 6, 2012, 8:25:50 AM2/6/12
to zx...@googlegroups.com

Comment #8 on issue 572 by guillaum...@gmail.com: Add Data Matrix encoder
http://code.google.com/p/zxing/issues/detail?id=572

I have updated the datamatrix encoder in order to reflect the ZXing changes.
Here is the new diff included.

I don't have the right to commit to the project to add it, but if someone
wan't to commit it, feel free to do it.

Attachments:
datamatrix_encoder.diff 121 KB

zx...@googlecode.com

Feb 6, 2012, 11:52:33 AM2/6/12
to zx...@googlegroups.com
Updates:
Labels: -Priority-Medium Priority-Low

Comment #9 on issue 572 by srowen: Add Data Matrix encoder
http://code.google.com/p/zxing/issues/detail?id=572

I didn't see this patch. Jeremias (above) is the developer of barcode4j and
I think I'd ask the same question he might: why copy the encoder into this
project? on the one hand, sure, it makes a more complete set here, but it
also forks work on the encoder. Someone at Google contributed a modified
PDF417 encoder from barcode4j here, and there were just barely some reasons
that it made sense to make a modified copy. I suppose I'm slightly
reluctant to add just a copy... but I suppose I'd let others comment and
would want to think about it.

zx...@googlecode.com

Feb 6, 2012, 12:39:56 PM2/6/12
to zx...@googlegroups.com

Comment #10 on issue 572 by guillaum...@gmail.com: Add Data Matrix encoder
http://code.google.com/p/zxing/issues/detail?id=572

As far as I am concerned, if you are already using zxing for QRCode encoding
you don't wan't to add a whole new lib to your project just to add
Datamatrix compatbility. But you are right if you start a new project you
can use the barcode4j.

zx...@googlecode.com

Jun 7, 2012, 10:55:19 PM6/7/12
to zx...@googlegroups.com

Comment #11 on issue 572 by yankees2...@gmail.com: Add Data Matrix encoder
http://code.google.com/p/zxing/issues/detail?id=572

I agree with guilliam. barcode4j is not meant to be run on mobile
platforms. In fact, it will not even run on Android. zxing is touted as the
complete solution for mobile platforms. I would very much like to see a
Data Matrix fork added here as well.

If there are no political issues here, then I don't see a reason why there
is a QR encoder but no Data Matrix encoder.

zx...@googlecode.com

Jun 8, 2012, 5:51:41 AM6/8/12
to zx...@googlegroups.com

Comment #12 on issue 572 by srowen: Add Data Matrix encoder
http://code.google.com/p/zxing/issues/detail?id=572

Why isn't barcode4j suitable for mobile? The core encoder doesn't use
JavaSE desktop classes like AWT, right?

zx...@googlecode.com

Jun 8, 2012, 5:14:06 PM6/8/12
to zx...@googlegroups.com

Comment #13 on issue 572 by yankees2...@gmail.com: Add Data Matrix encoder
http://code.google.com/p/zxing/issues/detail?id=572

@srowen

It uses Apache Avalon in some scenarios. It needs the JavaSE JDK to build.

Here is the list of implementations it uses(choose one):
SAXON
Servlet
Xalan
FOP
Ant
JavaBean

None seem to work on Android. I have not tried guillaum's diff, maybe it
works. But the standard barcode4j distribution is not compatible with
Android.

zx...@googlecode.com

Jun 30, 2012, 1:48:17 AM6/30/12
to zx...@googlegroups.com

Comment #14 on issue 572 by benn.bol...@gmail.com: Add Data Matrix encoder
http://code.google.com/p/zxing/issues/detail?id=572

Absorbing changes into zxing, especially with the blessing of the
originating developer and contributions from the community seems like it
can only make zxing more popular, which in turn will substantially increase
feature and developer resources. Please incorporate these patches into the
system.

zx...@googlecode.com

Jun 30, 2012, 5:26:09 PM6/30/12
to zx...@googlegroups.com

Comment #15 on issue 572 by srowen: Add Data Matrix encoder
http://code.google.com/p/zxing/issues/detail?id=572

You could also argue this harms development / community of the current copy
in barcode4j in an indirect way. If it were copying for its own sake I'd be
slightly against it. Jeremias has never objected which is cool, just raised
these issues which is quite valid.

If there is a compelling reason like making a variant that is
Android-friendly, I think that's cool. (Is it really not possible to tease
apart the core encoder from these dependencies?)

I'm up for shepherding a patch into the code base. If someone will do the
lion share of porting to match style, interfaces, structure, I can finish
the details of a proper integration.

The patch here is a pretty good start since the original code was well
done. But it still has AWT dependencies and a different style for example.

zx...@googlecode.com

Jan 27, 2013, 5:30:36 AM1/27/13
to zx...@googlegroups.com

Comment #16 on issue 572 by stot...@gmail.com: Add Data Matrix encoder
http://code.google.com/p/zxing/issues/detail?id=572

I have prepared a new version of Guillaume's patch, that may be closer to
what you want.

- Massaged to apply to current HEAD
- Removed URL handling stuff from encoder
- Removed java.awt dependency from encoder

There should be no changes at all in functionality from the previous patch.

I second Guillaume's opinion: We have a project where we already are
happily using ZXing for QR code generation/recognition, and we must keep
including it, both because a third party library depends on it, and because
we must do barcode recognition as well generation.

Now I need DataMatrix encoding, and pulling in a second barcode library,
with a different API for overlapping functionality is a very unattractive
proposition, no matter how great barcode4j is.

Attachments:
datamatrix_encoder_2565.diff 114 KB