Does anyone know if a CSL library written in C or objective C exists?

mronkko

Nov 11, 2011, 2:06:31 PM11/11/11
to zotero-dev
I have been experimenting with the iPad SDK and am thinking about
doing an application that can be used to read (and later also
annotate) PDFs stored in Zotero. One thing that would be very useful
would be the ability to display formatted references. To do this, I
would need an iPad compatible CSL library. Does anyone know if such
exists?

Bruce D'Arcus

Nov 11, 2011, 2:16:24 PM11/11/11
to zoter...@googlegroups.com

I believe one commercial implementation is coded in Objective-C, but
that's obviously not accessible to you (unless by some chance you can
convince them to open source it; doubtful).

Is it not possible to run JS on iOS?

Bruce

mronkko

Nov 11, 2011, 3:21:51 PM11/11/11
to zotero-dev

On Nov 11, 2:16 pm, "Bruce D'Arcus" <bdar...@gmail.com> wrote:
It is officially available only in the web browser, so no.

But full CSL compatibility is not very important, so I will just
hardcode APA or some other style for now.

Avram Lyon

Nov 11, 2011, 4:04:55 PM11/11/11
to zoter...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, Nov 11, 2011 at 11:16 AM, Bruce D'Arcus <bda...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I believe one commercial implementation is coded in Objective-C, but
> that's obviously not accessible to you (unless by some chance you can
> convince them to open source it; doubtful).

It may still be worth talking to the folks at Papers (no secrets
here-- it's the only Obj-C app out there with CSL support). Opening
the code to the CSL processor would mean better test scrutiny and
likely significant improvement in fidelity and performance over time.

> Is it not possible to run JS on iOS?

It's against the app store rules to provide JS as a scripting language
to users, but it might be OK to bundle a JS interpreter for the
bundled citeproc-js only, if there's a good option for JS in
Objective-C.

Avram

Simon

Nov 11, 2011, 4:34:40 PM11/11/11
to zotero-dev
The easiest thing to do would be to use the server API, which will
give you formatted citations. Presumably you could also put citeproc-
js it in an invisible UIWebView and use
stringByEvaluatingJavaScriptFromString to interface with it.

Simon