3.0 branch

Dan Stillman

Nov 28, 2011, 5:15:23 PM11/28/11
to zotero-dev
We've created a 3.0 branch on GitHub for the main Zotero code, and we've
pushed all trunk XPI builds onto that branch. If your client has already
updated and you want to get back on the trunk (i.e., the master branch
on GitHub), you'll need to reinstall the trunk XPI manually. If your
client hasn't updated (i.e., you're offered a 3.5a1 build) and you want
to stay on 3.0, install the 3.0 dev XPI.

http://www.zotero.org/support/dev_builds

Note that the trunk already has some new code that is far less stable
than the 3.0 branch, and it will be diverging much more, so the warnings
on that page are once again in full effect.

The 3.0 branch is now feature-frozen and will be receiving only bug
fixes going forward.

Rönkkö Mikko

Nov 29, 2011, 1:51:49 AM11/29/11
to <zotero-dev@googlegroups.com>
The new branch looks nice, but I saw that the "preferred library" patch that I submitted a while ago has not been included. Is this planned for a future release, or discarded for now?

The patch that I am talking about is this
https://gist.github.com/1184649

The patch is discussed here
http://forums.zotero.org/discussion/19350/option-to-disable-libraries/#Item_24

and here
http://groups.google.com/group/zotero-dev/msg/40ff2272809b61d3

Mikko

Avram Lyon

Nov 29, 2011, 1:53:04 AM11/29/11
to zoter...@googlegroups.com
Also interested in hearing the fate of the colored tags feature that
had been slated for 3.0.

Rönkkö Mikko

Dec 22, 2011, 9:34:30 AM12/22/11
to <zotero-dev@googlegroups.com>
Any news on this patch? If needed, I can port it to the current codebase over the Christmas holidays.

Mikko

Simon

Dec 22, 2011, 3:33:45 PM12/22/11
to zotero-dev
We're no longer sure whether this is necessary, and we are worried it
might be overly confusing to users. Thanks to your patch, QuickFormat
in 3.0b3 identifies the library that contains the item being cited,
which makes restricting libraries seem unnecessary. (Additionally,
items cited in the document but not contained in any library now
appear in QuickFormat.) We have longer-term plans to make documents
appear as collections in the left pane, which would provide a
intuitive means to add all cited items to a collection or to make sure
all items are in a group (among other things). I think that together,
these changes will address the use cases for the preferred collection
patch in a more intuitive way. Are there use cases that this wouldn't
handle?

Simon

Our long-term goal is to make open documents appear in the left pane,
like collections.
On Dec 22, 9:34 am, Rönkkö Mikko <mikko.ron...@aalto.fi> wrote:
> Any news on this patch? If needed, I can port it to the current codebase over the Christmas holidays.
>
> Mikko
>
> On Nov 29, 2011, at 08:51, Rönkkö Mikko wrote:
>

> > The new branch looks nice, but I saw that the "preferred library" patch that I submitted a while ago has not been included. Is this planned for a future release, or discarded for now?
>
> > The patch that I am talking about is this
> >https://gist.github.com/1184649
>
> > The patch is discussed here
> >http://forums.zotero.org/discussion/19350/option-to-disable-libraries...
>
> > and here
> >http://groups.google.com/group/zotero-dev/msg/40ff2272809b61d3
>
> > Mikko
>
> > On Nov 29, 2011, at 00:15, Dan Stillman wrote:
>
> >> We've created a 3.0 branch on GitHub for the main Zotero code, and we've pushed all trunk XPI builds onto that branch. If your client has already updated and you want to get back on the trunk (i.e., the master branch on GitHub), you'll need to reinstall the trunk XPI manually. If your client hasn't updated (i.e., you're offered a 3.5a1 build) and you want to stay on 3.0, install the 3.0 dev XPI.
>
> >>http://www.zotero.org/support/dev_builds
>
> >> Note that the trunk already has some new code that is far less stable than the 3.0 branch, and it will be diverging much more, so the warnings on that page are once again in full effect.
>
> >> The 3.0 branch is now feature-frozen and will be receiving only bug fixes going forward.

Rönkkö Mikko

Dec 23, 2011, 3:01:08 AM12/23/11

On Dec 22, 2011, at 22:33, Simon wrote:

> We're no longer sure whether this is necessary, and we are worried it
> might be overly confusing to users. Thanks to your patch, QuickFormat
> in 3.0b3 identifies the library that contains the item being cited,
> which makes restricting libraries seem unnecessary. (Additionally,
> items cited in the document but not contained in any library now
> appear in QuickFormat.) We have longer-term plans to make documents
> appear as collections in the left pane, which would provide a
> intuitive means to add all cited items to a collection or to make sure
> all items are in a group (among other things). I think that together,
> these changes will address the use cases for the preferred collection
> patch in a more intuitive way. Are there use cases that this wouldn't
> handle?

This makes sense and solves most use cases of the preferred library feature.

Nevertheless, the biggest annoyance currently with the QuickFormat currently is that I cannot customize the order in which libraries appear. I have 5 group libraries that I use actively 4 that are currently not in use, but I still want to have them available. In most cases, I do not want to use my library at all, so I need to do extra scrolling on the list to get to the correct library. I would like to choose the library that I use once and then have items from this library always appearing first in the quickformat dialog instead of having to make the choice every time I insert a references.

With all the new features in Zotero and the plan to have documents as collections, I think that there would still be a need for a simple preferred library option implemented with two document level preferences
1) A dropdown for choosing which library appears topmost in the QuickFormat results. (No need for choosing a collection in the library)
2) A checkbox for automatically copying items cited from other libraries to the preferred library.

How does this sound like?

Mikko

Rönkkö Mikko

Dec 27, 2011, 6:22:37 AM12/27/11
to <zotero-dev@googlegroups.com>
This feature is now ported to the latest codebase with a couple of changes

https://github.com/mronkko/zotero/commit/9fc65a2f37eb2a14fb137b06a700c5515b6e66cd

Changes to previous implementation:
- Does not allow for choosing a primary collection now, but only a primary library
- The preference dialog is simplified (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/43/screenshot20111227at130.png/)
- The items that are shown in QuickFormat are no longer filtered, but the items from primary library will be sorted on top instead

I did not do a pull request with this because I was uncertain whether it should target the 3.0 or master branch.

Also a question about the long term document-as-collection plan: What would happen if a document contained items from multiple libraries?

Mikko