Setting up a local zotero server

Foo Bar

Jul 18, 2015, 8:56:06 PM7/18/15
to zoter...@googlegroups.com
Hi community,

first of all I want to thank the entire team for maintaining such a lovely tool as zotero.

As I have been contemplating/researching setting up a local zotero server myself i couldn't help but notice that most/all? Information available on that topic seems to be seriously outdated.
In particular most answers/blogs/ML-postings point to:
* http://nomis.be/zotero/zotero_server_setup.html ---> dead
* phpZoteroWebDAV ---_> last commit Feb 2012

* https://github.com/sualk/dataserver/ ----> dead

* this list: most traffic on this issue from 2011

*https://forums.zotero.org/discussion/20927/use-zotero-on-a-local-server/

so my question which i assume must be rather frequent boils down to: where does none find more or less contemporary imformation about setting up local zotero infrastructure?

I would be most greatfull for any pointers.

With kind regards;

Klaus Flittner

Jul 19, 2015, 5:38:50 AM7/19/15
to zoter...@googlegroups.com
Foo Bar wrote:

> Hi community,
>
> first of all I want to thank the entire team for maintaining such a lovely
> tool as zotero.
>
> As I have been contemplating/researching setting up a local zotero server
> myself i couldn't help but notice that most/all? Information available on
> that topic seems to be seriously outdated.
> In particular most answers/blogs/ML-postings point to:
> * http://nomis.be/zotero/zotero_server_setup.html ---> dead
> * phpZoteroWebDAV ---_> last commit Feb 2012
> * https://github.com/sualk/dataserver/ ----> dead

Has moved to [1] and is to my knowledge the most up to date information about local dataserver installation.

Klaus

[1] http://git.27o.de/dataserver/

Foo Bar

Jul 21, 2015, 6:05:09 PM7/21/15
to zotero-dev
Thank you.

Rehan Haider

Aug 5, 2015, 2:55:45 PM8/5/15
to zotero-dev, kl...@flittner.org
Hi Klaus,
I have installed zotero Server according to instruction given on (http://git.27o.de/dataserver/about/).
I have checked, its working correctly.
Now I'm facing problem to sync client with my server because I can't find config files (http://git.27o.de/dataserver/about/Zotero-Client.md) in zotero client installation folder. Question is where to find "resource/config.js"?
Thanks in advance.

Rehan Haider

Aug 8, 2015, 3:56:27 AM8/8/15
to zotero-dev, kl...@flittner.org
I have been working on it from two months and has been stuck on client configuration.
I'm installing it for a College (PUCIT) [1].
please help me to finish it.

Ephrim Khong

Aug 8, 2015, 9:14:02 AM8/8/15
to zoter...@googlegroups.com, syed.r...@gmail.com
Am 05.08.15 um 14:29 schrieb Rehan Haider:
> Now I'm facing problem to sync client with my server because I can't find
> config
> files (http://git.27o.de/dataserver/about/Zotero-Client.md) in zotero
> client installation folder. Question is where to find "resource/config.js"?

The file is in the zotero-VERSION.xpi file, which is a zipped archive of
the plugin's files. You need to unzip it, edit resource/config.js in the
unzipped data, and zip it again.

Here is a script that does it for you.

https://github.com/grumbelbart/zotero_dataserver_sualk/wiki/Zotero-client-patching

- Eph

Rehan Haider

Aug 10, 2015, 1:44:39 AM8/10/15
to zotero-dev, syed.r...@gmail.com
Thanks very much Mr. Eph Khong, you saved my life :)
Is there any method to sync zotero chrome extension with modified server?
Thanks again!

regards:
Rehan

Mohd Din

Oct 7, 2015, 12:47:00 AM10/7/15
to zotero-dev, kl...@flittner.org
Hi Rehan Haider,

can you provide me installation instruction because I still fail to install

Or can you provide me dockerized version or Virtual Box Image ?

archimedes06

Mar 12, 2016, 7:57:22 PM3/12/16
to zotero-dev, kl...@flittner.org
Hello all,
   Thanks for all the above information.   Unfortunately, I seem to be stuck on client configuration, similar to where Rehan was, but I don't understand Eph's solution.   I'm using the stand alone version of the client on Ubuntu 14.04, and I don't see anything about plugins in the installation directory.  Would the zotero-VERSION.xpi file be called something else on linux?

Thanks,
Brock

Ephrim Khong

Mar 17, 2016, 8:21:06 AM3/17/16
to zoter...@googlegroups.com
As far as I know, the standalone client should have a very similar
directory structure. Which files are in your installation directory?
Did you unzip any xpi file?

The main issue I had with the standalone version is that it's difficult
to add your custom server https signatures. I think the workaround was
to visit both URLs (sync and api) with a fresh firefox profile, add the
certificates as permanent exception, and to copy the cert_override.txt
from the profile into the installation directory of the standalone client.

- Eph
> <http://git.27o.de/dataserver/about/>).
> I have checked, its working correctly.
> Now I'm facing problem to sync client with my server because I
> can't find config files
> (http://git.27o.de/dataserver/about/Zotero-Client.md
> <http://git.27o.de/dataserver/about/Zotero-Client.md>) in zotero
> client installation folder. Question is where to find
> "resource/config.js"?
> Thanks in advance.

archimedes06

Mar 20, 2016, 1:20:46 PM3/20/16
to zotero-dev
Eph, thanks for the reply.  You are right, the stand alone has an equivalent file.   We managed to get everything straightened out, at least for Ubutuntu.   For our windows based clients we've run into another problem.

For Ubuntu 14.04, the zotero standalone installs to /opt/zotero.   The contents of this directory are...

chrome/
components/
defaults/
extensions/
icons/
xulrunner/
application.ini
chrome.manifest
COPYING
README.md
run-zotero.sh*
._updater.ini
updater.ini
zotero*
._zotero*
zotero.jar

resource/config.js is in the zotero.jar file.

 Modifying SYNC_URL and API_URL to point at our local dataserver gets everything working for our unix machines (that is after we copy in the cert_override.txt  file from ~.Mozilla/firefox/<randomString>/cert_override.txt to take care of the exception for our self signed certificate).

For our windows installations 7, there is similar jar file, but for some reason the values in resource/config.js are completely ignored.  Even after making the modifications the client still attempts to sync to zotero.org.    Any thoughts as to what else might be going on?
The contents of the windows installation are...

application.ini
chrome
chrome.manifest
chrome.manifest.bak
components
CONTRIBUTING.md
COPYING
defaults
extensions
install.log
README.md
uninstall
updater.ini
xulrunner
zotero.exe
zotero.jar

Thanks,
-B

Ephrim Khong

Mar 21, 2016, 3:39:20 AM3/21/16
to zoter...@googlegroups.com
Maybe windows has another copy of the file somewhere in

C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Zotero\

- Eph
> > an email to zotero-dev+...@googlegroups.com <javascript:>
> > <mailto:zotero-dev+...@googlegroups.com <javascript:>>.
> <javascript:>
> > <mailto:zoter...@googlegroups.com <javascript:>>.
> <https://groups.google.com/group/zotero-dev>.
> <https://groups.google.com/d/optout>.

archimedes06

Mar 21, 2016, 7:18:58 PM3/21/16
to zotero-dev
Thanks Eph,
   That seemed to do the trick.   I'm not sure where exactly what file it was, but I deleted the c:users/<username>/AppData/Roaming/Zotero/Zotero  directory and restarted Zotero standalone and it imported the correct config values from the jar file.

Cheers,

gk

Feb 17, 2017, 4:08:39 AM2/17/17
to zotero-dev
archimedes06,

Can you repost your working solution in github to share?

Samuel Hassine

Oct 26, 2018, 7:41:18 AM10/26/18
to zotero-dev
Hello,