Twitter is moving to OpenZipkin

Adrian Cole

Jul 15, 2015, 8:51:29 PM7/15/15
to zipki...@googlegroups.com, distribut...@googlegroups.com, zipki...@googlegroups.com
Twitter will support making OpenZipkin the primary Zipkin codebase. This means that we will migrate the twitter/zipkin repo into openzipkin/repo and there will no longer be a twitter-specific fork.

As tech lead of distributed tracing team at Twitter, I will migrate our internal codebases and contribution process to OpenZipkin. For example, I will revise docs for tweeps who work on zipkin in our Observability team, including which mailing lists to subscribe to, and which gitter channels to haunt. This is especially important as the tracing team grows.

Thanks for all the help getting OpenZipkin together. Let's report back on this thread as it progresses.

Adrian Cole
Tech Lead
Distributed Tracing
Observability Engineering
Twitter, Inc.

Anthony Asta
Senior Manager
Observability Engineering
Twitter, Inc.

ac...@twitter.com

Jul 15, 2015, 10:28:26 PM7/15/15
to zipki...@googlegroups.com, zipki...@googlegroups.com, distribut...@googlegroups.com
Here's the issue that will track the actual migration https://github.com/twitter/zipkin/issues/453

Adrian Cole

Jul 15, 2015, 11:54:59 PM7/15/15
to Nitesh Kant, zipki...@googlegroups.com, distribut...@googlegroups.com, zipki...@googlegroups.com

> (Apologies for my ignorance in advance if I am way off on he motivations for OpenZipkin.)
No worries. OpenZipkin was created for governance reasons. For example to help ensure progress doesn't have a single point of failure.

Here's the motivation thread https://groups.google.com/forum/m/#!topic/zipkin-dev/hug_bWIqdLY

> Will OpenZipkin core be in Java or scala? If it will be usable within a Java app without pulling in scala runtime, I will be interested in seeing if we can move to it within netflix.
OpenZipkin is a community. If the community wants to move core to java, and want to write code to do that.. then that will happen! Having Netflix on board would be awesome.

Here's a related issue, which will migrate with the code to OpenZipkin org tomorrow https://github.com/twitter/zipkin/issues/451

Adrian Cole

Jul 16, 2015, 11:12:54 AM7/16/15
to zipki...@googlegroups.com, distribut...@googlegroups.com, zipki...@googlegroups.com
OpenZipkin is now upstream!

Feel free to meet others in the community on gitter here:

Enjoy!