On a Lighter Side – Yoruba Translation for ‘Music’

Julius Fakinlede

Feb 18, 2016, 9:14:25 PM2/18/16
to Yoruba Affairs

On a Lighter Side  –  Yoruba Translation for the word ‘Music’

Ladies and Gentlemen,

Finding a word in the Yoruba Lexicon for a precise translation for the English word ‘Music’ has been challenging for me. This means that, by extension, I cannot appropriately translate musician, musicology, musicologist, etc. to Yoruba language.

My previous attempt in Yoruba Modern Practical Dictionary leaves much to be desired. In there, I have the following words: orin, ere-orin, iro-didun. All these words do not capture the complete essence of the word ‘music’, which encompasses, singing, drumming, playing percussion instruments, trumpets, etc., and sometimes including the act of dancing.

The English translation for ‘orin’ is ‘song’. In which case, ‘ere-orin’ would be appropriately translated as a play involving songs. Obviously, that does not capture the essence of music. Iro-didun is completely out – or is it. It means sweet sounds. This may be the closest one can get to Music.

Of course the Yoruba language has a word for drumming, ilu-lilu, trumpeting, fere-fifon, etc. Dancing is Ijo-jijo.

Please help with the seemingly simple word. A word that can be agreeable to most of us would be music to my ears.

P/S Check Yoruba Science and Technology Encyclopedia  - http://yoruba-scipedia.wikidot.com/ for:THIS WEEK'S FEATURED ARTICLE: LASSA VIRUS - ARUN IBA LASSA

Michael Afolayan

Feb 18, 2016, 11:26:50 PM2/18/16
to Yoruba Affairs, Yorubaaffairs+owners, Kayode Fakinlede

The reason is simple, Dr. Fakinlede. We do not have the concept "music" in Yoruba language. It simply does not exist and no attempt would import it into the lexicon without semantic and cultural challenges. You may describe or impoverish it, like what you have done, but it won't jive. It is at such a time that a linguist of lexicographer goes for direct lexical borrowing. "Miusiiki" would do the job without drawing a sweat. "orin, ere-orin, iro-didun" etc., would only complicate matters. Thanks for your patriotism and labor of love. You are true lover of Yoruba.

Michael O. Afolayan

Michael Afolayan

Feb 18, 2016, 11:26:50 PM2/18/16
to Yoruba Affairs, Yorubaaffairs+owners, Dr. Kayode Fakinlede, Kayode Fakinlede

The reason is simple, Dr. Fakinlede. We do not have the concept "music" in Yoruba language. It simply does not exist and no attempt would import it into the lexicon without semantic and cultural challenges. You may describe or impoverish it, like what you have done, but it won't jive. It is at such a time that a linguist or lexicographer goes for direct lexical borrowing. "Miusiiki" would do the job without drawing a sweat. "orin, ere-orin, iro-didun" etc., would only complicate matters. Thanks for your patriotism and labor of love. You are a true lover of Yoruba.

Julius Fakinlede

Feb 23, 2016, 3:35:33 AM2/23/16
to Yoruba Affairs

I thank all that have contributed to this conversation. Prof. Afolayan’s response to the Yoruba translation of the English word ‘Music’ creates another issue of interest.  The question: If we find it a bit difficult to arrive at a consensus as to what to name an idea or observable in our language, do we just co-opt a word from a different language? That is, do we ‘Yorubalize’ a word from say, English or some other language that is seen as more ‘developed?’ This idea is what is meant by ‘direct lexical borrowing.’  I have seen this done ad infinitum to some measure of discomfiture in many Yoruba writings.

I begin to tell myself, if we should continue in this vein, we will get to some point when, in translation to Yoruba language, all we will need to do is find a few words to connect basically English terms – lobatan.

Personally, I have often found it irksome to go this route in finding words to express a concept or an observable. I feel that the Yoruba language is quite capable of standing on its own without the need of embellishment from other languages – particularly, the language of the colonizers. Please, please, do not see this as a resort to unnecessary jingoism.

Now, let us look at the word ‘music’ and its lexically borrowed translation ‘Miusiiki’. There is little doubt that this is a version that would be embraced by Yorubas living in British colonized parts of the Yoruba nation. In French colonized parts, that word would not be a Yoruba translation simply because those people do not speak English. And, of course, among Spanish speaking Yorubas in the diaspora, it also would not jive. Now, if my grandson, in trying to learn to speak Yoruba, should ask Grandpa, what they call music in Yoruba language, and I should tell him ‘Miusiiki’. He definitely would have a dim view of our language, thinking of it as an appendage of a more ‘superior’ language.

Another word that arose for consideration beside Tilu-tifon (Dr. Adegbola), is Alujo. This is a rather pleasing word since it embraces the fact that the sound being made has some rhythm to it and that it moves someone to dance. This is a term that is popularized by Ayefele. How about that?

Oh!  Prof. I also respectfully disagree that we do not have the concept ‘Music’ in Yoruba language.  A universal word, embracing that concept may not exist, and that is what we are trying to find.

Regards

FAKINLEDE

KolaThomas

Feb 23, 2016, 3:40:41 PM2/23/16
to yorubaaffa...@googlegroups.com, Yoruba Affairs
Ẹ kú íkalẹ̀ o: Ẹ kúu àpérò o. Ẹ jẹ̀wọ́, mo fẹ́ dá sí ìjomitoro ọ̀rọ̀ tí à ńjíròrò rẹ̀ yìí. Ẹ gbà míláàyè láti fi Èdèe Gẹ̀ẹ́sì le...

A long time ago, music teacher, Pa Creepy, Music Teacher(may his soul rest in peace) taught us that "music is the language of the soul and the outlets of our feelings..." There was no intention at the time to explore its meaning in vernacular. That would have attracted a "fine".

The fact is that "music" in English language is understood and had meaning to English speakers. So we leave it alone as to whether it means "pizza" or "bread". To the Yoruba it does not matter. What the Yoruba understands and knows are expressions such as -

  • oorin
  • oorin ìdárayá
  • oorin arò
  • oorin ìwúrí
  • ohùn
  • kùǹ
  • kọrin
  • ìkọrin
  • han
  • ariwo
  • ìpariwo
  • pariwo
  • ìjálá
  • àyájọ́    àti bẹ́ẹ̀ bẹ́ẹ̀ lọ

To translate "music" is equally as challenging as attempting to translate "piano" into Yoruba, or "yépàrìpà" or "atá-sápá-ẹni-lórí" into the English Language. So we leave it alone. Even the meta-word "músíìkì" cannot get it for grandmother at "Ìjàyè-Ẹgbá"

Some classical and contemporary expressions of sound, to the Yoruba would probably constitute "hí-han". I sing the "descant" and that is an aspect of singing in "high note variations".

"So-dia-for" :))))  mo fẹ́ fi tì sí bẹ̀ ná.....!

Ẹkúú kàlẹ̀ o, Kẹ́ẹ pẹ́ o.
-Olùdámọ̀ràń Kọ́láwọlé Tọ́mọ́ọ̀sì (Very Hilarious...What does that mean?)

Feb 25, 2016, 1:38:24 AM2/25/16
to yorubaaffa...@googlegroups.com, Yoruba Affairs, Kayode Fakinlede, Dr. Kayode Fakinlede
Omowe Fakinlede -

E ku ise opolo; e si ku apero o!

As always, let me pin another kudos into your wreath of victory. Your activities in promoting Yoruba are worthy of note. You never cease to amaze me and I will always stand in awe of your insistence on the immortalization of the best of Yoruba language and culture. May your pool of wisdom and thirst for knowledge never go dry.

Thank you for responding to my comment, and with your indulgences, let me quickly address some of your questions and/or concerns as quoted and highlighted in bold prints below.

First, you wrote:

"The question: If we find it a bit difficult to arrive at a consensus as to what to name an idea or observable in our language, do we just co-opt a word from a different language? That is, do we ‘Yorubalize’ a word from say, English or some other language that is seen as more ‘developed?’"

The answer is, YES, SIR, if we want to use an idea that is not originally yours: we can, and should borrow lavishly from any language that has a concept we need but which we do not have. This is the stuff that growing languages are made of.  Words like alubosa, bibeli, titi, beedi, moto, tabili, takada, etc., are borrowed and we don't have to apologize for doing so. I hope I made myself clear on that score.

A point of departure, though: I did not see any language as "more 'developed'" than Yoruba. I have no idea what you meant by that notion. I would like to be educated on it, though.

Next, you noted:

"This idea is what is meant by ‘direct lexical borrowing.’  I have seen this done ad infinitum to some measure of discomfiture in many Yoruba writings."

Your observation is, with due respect, what I expect of someone who is not knowledgeable in linguistics, or in the technical know-how of the Yoruba language or even the English language, other than using those languages as an average Nigerian does. Otherwise, lexical borrowing is a common phenomenon known to users of all living languages. Those languages that don't borrow are long dead. Even the bone of contention, the word "Music" takes its roots in Latin and is borrowed to almost all European languages - almost all. Please check the same word in Italian, Greek, French, Portuguese, Spanish and see what they are called! It's not an anathema not to have a word or concept. If you need it and you don't have it, borrow it and impose your own phonological and/or syntactic rules on it. Then, it's yours and your language is growing.

You also wrote:

"I begin to tell myself, if we should continue in this vein, we will get to some point when, in translation to Yoruba language, all we will need to do is find a few words to connect basically English terms – lobatan."

So as not to reinvent the wheel, kindly refer to my first sentence in the last paragraph. But Sir, there is a science to lexical borrowing. It's not just a matter of finding "a few words to connect basically English term . . ." However,  I fully understand your dilemma. If you would endeavor to do some basic readings of works of Yoruba scholars like Professors Bamgbose, Awobuluyi, Oyelaran, Folarin-Schleicher, Lawal and many more on this subject, the above statement would have long been cleared out.

As for the grandpa, grandma, grandson, granddaughter scenario, you provided our very best sources of language experimentation. Ask anyone in that group, that is one who had never been to school, the meaning of the word "Alujo," I bet, it would be as alien to them as the word "music" itself in the English language would be. Alagba, in exasperation I would like to ask, when has the pop culture become the main source of knowledge production? Yes, the pop culture is significant but it cannot become a main source. I would not even discuss Ebenezer Obey's creations as a major enrichment to the Yoruba language, let alone "Ayefele neologism." Recall in the seveties the popular line in Ebenezer Obey's song, "Owe l'esin oro; oro l'esin owe . . ." Is that a Yoruba owe? So, when Ayefele is saying "Alujo," should I jump at it and say now we have a word for "music" in the Yoruba language? No, it has not passed the test of word creation in Yoruba because there is a science to it that transcends the pop culture word-smithery fad.

Elder Fakinlede: personally, I appreciate your unique effort of insisting on putting Yoruba on bigger prominence than it currently occupies and deserves. You are an engineer by profession but you have not gone through the tutelage of a deep intellectual understanding of Yoruba like those people whose works I earlier referred you to and many more like them. You are doing a great service, almost shaming many of those who truly have the academic training to do the things you are doing and are not doing them. I have some of your works in my library. I particularly enjoy using your dictionary (although I can't imagine agreeing with you on your definition of "ESU", a fact that underscores my grave concern for an elaborate delving into technical aspects of any subject matter in which one only has marginal intuitive proficiency but no expertise or technical competence). I would love to read your production of Yoruba folktales or ABD Olowe, like what the likes of Tubosun Oladapo have done very well. But to engage in technical aspects of the Yoruba language is the proverbial severed head of an adult elephant, a feat too cumbersome for a young child to bear on his head - (and I utter those words with due respect to you as an elder in the house).

It's okay for you to insist on the existence of the concept "Music" in Yoruba. I stand corrected and don't see myself insisting on any concept on Yoruba beyond my given name, "Oladejo." I agree with Kola Thomas that there are words in Yoruba along the line of music, but not "music" per se (although I must let Mr. Thomas know that Yoruba is NOT a vernacular.

I am not an expert in the Yoruba language, just a student of it; but I know many who are and have a laundry list of them. I would certainly encourage you to consult with such people for professional advice on those technical issues.

Please keep on with the good work.

Affectionately,

Michael O. Afolayan

On Tuesday, February 23, 2016 2:40 PM, 'KolaThomas' via Yoruba Affairs <yoruba...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

[...]

Ibukunolu A Babajide

Feb 25, 2016, 4:13:00 AM2/25/16
to Yorubaaffairs Owners, Yoruba Affairs
Alagba Kola Thomas,

E ku ohun.  E ku ogbon.  E si ku ise opolo!  Ki Oluwa tunbo fun yin ni opolo pipe!  Gbogbo alaye ti e se kale yi lo wo inu opolo mi lo rau rau!

Eseun pupo!  E dakun, e dabo mo toro gafara lati so ede Geesi die ni ranpe.

Language is the totality of the historical existence and evolution of a group who speak the language.  Often they borrow new words by domesticating them (Prof. Pius Adesanmi popularised the issue of domestication).  In the language borrowed from, the borrowed words have connotation and denotation (core and peripheral meanings) and likewise in the language that borrows, the work will over time develop new connotations and denotations.

Alagba Kola Thomas, the concept of music combines rhythm, percussion, and dance which in Yoruba may translate into:

Ilu
Alujo

Cheers.

IBK

_________________________
Ibukunolu Alao Babajide (IBK)

Julius Fakinlede

Feb 25, 2016, 8:58:35 PM2/25/16
to Yoruba Affairs

Ladies and Gentlemen,

Two words seem to be gaining currency as to how we should call ‘music’ in Yoruba: Alujo and Miusiiki.

Before going on, I must congratulate us for the spirit with which we have handled this conversation. It shows that we are all still much in love with our language, which I call the greatest single gift to the Yoruba person.

And please, if you still have more ideas to contribute on this matter, let it come. We are all the better for it. Also, please let your preference be made concerning these two words or make other suggestions you may have that can make the discussion richer.

On the issue of lexical borrowing, let me state categorically that I do believe in lexical borrowing. It is for the purpose with which it is used that I have some concern with. If anyone cares to google YORUBA SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY ENCYCLOPEDIA  - yoruba-scipedia.wikidot.com - and goes to ITE AWON ISU-ATOMU (TABLE OF ELEMENTS) one will find that nearly all the words used in naming the elements are, in a sense, ‘borrowed’. There is really no need for reinventing the wheel. This kind of borrowing cannot be avoided. There are a few words in the sciences that have to be borrowed too. And I suppose this is the case in some of the specialized areas of knowledge. Let me say that in many of these cases, those words may not belong to the general, everyday use of the common Yoruba person. These kinds of borrowings have been around from time immemorial. The Yoruba person who is not ‘initiated’ into those specialized fields see those words as the ‘ẸNỌ̀’, the jargon used by those in the profession. I have also gone to some length in the Encyclopedia to identify some  ‘nọ̀’ that are known to me within some of the fields.

However, when it comes to everyday use language, our Yoruba language is quite capable of handling any name for any idea, concept or observable. Now, in my four decades of seriously studying the Yoruba language and six of studying the English language, I have come to the completely ‘scientific’ conclusion that the Yoruba language is by far superior in the area of creating words for concepts, ideas, and observables. This means that once an idea, concept or an observation is well described, a Yoruba word can be easily coined that would be specific for it. The English person will of course scout for words in Greek, Latin, Chinese etc. to ‘borrow’ a name for the idea. This is what is responsible for the cacophony in the English language and why it takes years for others to master it. It is responsible for the development of myriads of English–English dictionaries and encyclopedia to express simple ideas.

The reason for the superiority in Yoruba language as far as naming things is concerned is that it agglomerates previously defined and memorized phonemes to come to a name for fresh concepts. This system cannot fail except if the idea, concept or observation is not well defined. The meaning of the word Afolayan is already well defined in the word. There is no need to look in a dictionary to know that the man bearing this name is matching around elegantly due to his familial wealth. A five year old Yoruba boy already has enough in his vocabulary toolbox to delineate this.

Now, my parents, in their infinite wisdom, named me, at birth Kayode. Now in a moment of unthinking, I had come to the idea during a baptism ceremony, that I would be called Julius. Please, do not ask me what ‘Julius’ means. If you want to find out, go into the Latin or Greek language and it would tell you. As far as Kayode is concerned, one can really see that I exude happiness when debating Yoruba issues.

FAKINLEDE

Julius Fakinlede

Feb 27, 2016, 6:19:35 AM2/27/16
to Yoruba Affairs

WHAT’S IN A NAME?

GIVING YORUBA NAMES TO IDEAS, CONCEPTS AND OBSERVABLES

And out of the ground the Lord God formed every beast of the field, and every fowl of the air; and brought them unto Adam to see what he would call them: and whatsoever Adam called every living creature, that was the name thereof.

And Adam gave names to all cattle, and to the fowl of the air, and to every beast of the field; ….

Genesis 2:19-20

According to the Bible, naming objects – animate or inanimate – is the first freedom God gave to man. It is a highly important freedom in many ways.

First, it is the most important assurance that God gave to man that he is the master of his own universe. He, Adam, was free to call anything whatever he wished, “… and, whatsoever Adam called every living creature, that was the name thereof.” Our forefathers applied this freedom to name all things they came across before the coming of colonizers.

Secondly, naming gave man the ability to identify all objects using the name he gave each of them, and passing these names down to his offspring. By the time Eve and the children arrived at the scene, the names were already affixed to the objects. Conceivably, Adam was the one who told Eve that the name he gave the snake was ‘snake’. And that was even before snake started behaving like a snake. Thus a name may or may not come before behavior, essence or use-value. A name is just an identifier that is also used in distinguishing one thing from another and nothing more. Why our progenitors chose to call a dog, ‘aja’ is best known to them.

A Yoruba man looks up in the evening time, and sees a round, reflective object and calls it ‘Osupa’. An English person looks up and sees the same object and calls it ‘moon’. A French person calls it ‘la lune’.  To the Yoruba person, the reason for calling it Osupa may be because the object is spherical and seemingly bald. To the English person, this characteristic may not have moved him in calling the object, moon. As a matter of fact, the word ‘moon’ has its roots in older European languages including German, Greek, Latin, etc., and it is related to ‘month’. While the word ‘osupa’ does not directly translate to moon in essence, there can be no doubt that, in comparing notes, both people are referring to the same object.

Thirdly, it gives a person a point of reference. Thus, when a Yoruba man tells his child to go get him a chair, he does not expect the child to bring a knife. This is as long as he had shown the son what his community had decided to call a chair and a knife and had passed the information down to his child earlier.

Therefore, in naming things, we must be aware of our primary objective, which is providing a name for a concept, an idea or an observable in Yoruba. That thing may be as old as the universe or as new as yesterday.  We are however, not trying to translate words from one language or another to Yoruba

P/S Check Yoruba Science and Technology Encyclopedia  - http://yoruba-scipedia.wikidot.com/ for:THIS WEEK'S FEATURED ARTICLE: ZIKA VIRUS DISEASE - ARUN OLOJE SIKA