Dropbox Datastore API

Rhet Turnbull

Jul 10, 2013, 10:32:58 AM7/10/13
to yojimb...@googlegroups.com
Dropbox has introduced a datastore API for structured data.  Here's a company that actually knows how to build a cloud synching solution -- so what say you Barebones?

Cheers,
Rhet

Rich Siegel

Jul 10, 2013, 10:57:00 AM7/10/13
to yojimb...@googlegroups.com
On Wednesday, July 10, 2013, Rhet Turnbull <rtur...@gmail.com> wrote:

>Dropbox has introduced a datastore API for structured data. Here's a
>company that actually knows how to build a cloud synching solution -- so
>what say you Barebones?

What do I say? A couple of things:

1. The Dropbox "Datastore API" is not available for OS X; only
for iOS.

2. The Dropbox "Datastore API" does not support Core Data
integration; while at a glance it appears well suited for more
highly structured key/value storage, there's nothing in there
that facilitates syncing for Core Data clients.

3. The Dropbox "Datastore API" is clearly labeled as a beta. We
will not base a shipping product on a beta API.

4. We're not going to drop everything we've been working on and
go chasing off after the latest new thing that shows any glimmer
of promise, when we're already on the way to a working sync solution.

Thus say I. :-)

R.
--
Rich Siegel Bare Bones Software, Inc.
<sie...@barebones.com> <http://www.barebones.com/>

Someday I'll look back on all this and laugh... until they
sedate me.

Stefan Keydel

Jul 11, 2013, 10:56:31 AM7/11/13
to yojimb...@googlegroups.com
Huzzah!

Rhet Turnbull

Jul 11, 2013, 2:04:00 PM7/11/13
to yojimb...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Rich. Appreciate your thoughts on this.  To number 1, I'd say "not yet".  To number 3, as an Enterprise user of Dropbox with over 750GB synched via their system that "just works", I'd happily take a beta from Dropbox over a beta, er, I mean shipping, iCloud product any day.  I know synching files and structured data aren't remotely the same thing but I do trust Dropbox's ability to ship a working synch mechanism -- I already trust them with a tremendous amount of my data and have never been let down.

In the mean time, I'm quite happy to pay for my annual Evernote premium account because it "just works".

Good luck with your efforts.

Cheers,
Rhet

--
This is the Yojimbo Talk public discussion group. If you have a feature request or would like to report a problem, please email
"sup...@barebones.com" rather than posting to the group.

Rich Siegel

Jul 11, 2013, 2:46:58 PM7/11/13
to yojimb...@googlegroups.com
On Thursday, July 11, 2013, Rhet Turnbull <rtur...@gmail.com> wrote:

>Thanks Rich. Appreciate your thoughts on this. To number 1, I'd say "not
>yet".

"Not yet" is irrelevant. :-) It's not here *today* and so it is
not usable *today* to meet the needs of us and our customers
*today*; and this same consideration applies to point #2.

>To number 3, as an Enterprise user of Dropbox with over 750GB synched
>via their system that "just works", I'd happily take a beta from
>Dropbox over a beta, er, I mean shipping, iCloud product any day. I
>know synching files and structured data aren't remotely the same thing
>but I do trust Dropbox's ability to ship a working synch mechanism --
>I already trust them with a tremendous amount of my data and have
>never been let down.

As a Dropbox customer, I am likewise satisfied with their
service. However, as the developers of a product that thousands
of people depend on, I need to set aside my personal
satisfaction and look objectively at the risks and
responsibilities involved, and as such choose to avoid deploying
a product release against something clearly labelled as "beta".
(And in fact, per my previous points #1 and #2, it's not even possible.)

>In the mean time, I'm quite happy to pay for my annual Evernote premium
>account because it "just works".

It's great that you're happy with Evernote; for my own part I
have no stake in how well it works, since I am not a customer of
theirs. :-)

Tripp Frohlichstein

Jul 11, 2013, 3:17:55 PM7/11/13
to yojimb...@googlegroups.com
Rich,

No matter what people may think, having you participate in the conversation so we know your viewpoints is great. Thanks and keep it up.

Tripp F.