software design - how to best embed images in page's content

Boaz Rymland

Mar 15, 2012, 3:02:08 AM3/15/12
to yii-i...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

I need to make a simple embedding of images in "posts" (and "posts" means a simple content article). I contemplate about my design - if its good or not as I suspect my solution is not the best. I've basically noted all the details here. I'll be happy for any comments... .

Thanks,
Boaz.

Boaz Rymland

Mar 15, 2012, 5:40:57 PM3/15/12
to yii-i...@googlegroups.com
I know you'll have troubles falling asleep tonight so I'm sending you this "חזל"ש" email :-)

I asked the same thing on stackoverflow. For some reason the Yii forum is not so helpful in my experience. Stackoverflow, for several arguable and speculate-able reasons is more fruitful usually.

In any case, the short answer is that there's no real justification to use CAssetManager in my case. Its an over-design that is simply wrong. See more here.

Good night! ;-)
Boaz.

Waseem Hamshawi

Mar 15, 2012, 5:52:11 PM3/15/12
to yii-i...@googlegroups.com
Hey Boaz,
I was just reading your mail...
I was going to suggest something that can generate a random string with postID concated on it.. this way you'll be able to identify the post's asset folder.
but, as the fellow said on stackoverflow.. why complicate stuff? just throw the imgs into a "regular" folder named by postID.
you're not using heavy css or js files with sub modules... this is another case which suits using assets..

Now I can stop counting sheeps :)
Boaz.

Boaz Rymland

Mar 15, 2012, 5:53:56 PM3/15/12
to yii-i...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, Mar 15, 2012 at 11:52 PM, Waseem Hamshawi <hams...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hey Boaz,
I was just reading your mail...
I was going to suggest something that can generate a random string with postID concated on it.. this way you'll be able to identify the post's asset folder.
but, as the fellow said on stackoverflow.. why complicate stuff? just throw the imgs into a "regular" folder named by postID.
you're not using heavy css or js files with sub modules... this is another case which suits using assets..

Now I can stop counting sheeps :)

I knew my efforts where not in vain!
yey! :-)

On Thu, Mar 15, 2012 at 9:02 AM, Boaz Rymland <boaz.r...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi all,

I need to make a simple embedding of images in "posts" (and "posts" means a simple content article). I contemplate about my design - if its good or not as I suspect my solution is not the best. I've basically noted all the details here. I'll be happy for any comments... .

Thanks,
Boaz.

Waseem Hamshawi

Mar 15, 2012, 6:19:09 PM3/15/12
to yii-i...@googlegroups.com
nothing is in vain... when you'll need to use assets on ur next project, you'll do it rapidly :)
as for the group, we need to raise more awareness for Yii... It's a GREAT framework.

Boaz Rymland

Mar 16, 2012, 3:04:38 AM3/16/12
to yii-i...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, Mar 16, 2012 at 12:19 AM, Waseem Hamshawi <hams...@gmail.com> wrote:
nothing is in vain... when you'll need to use assets on ur next project, you'll do it rapidly :)
as for the group, we need to raise more awareness for Yii... It's a GREAT framework.

I think so too. Do you have ideas on how to do it? I think it started getting momentum in Israel but being an OO MVC Framework that requires some learning, its not too quickly jumped upon. That's my guess at least.
Also, I have to say that IMHO Yii is not for all. Not every Drupal/Joomla/WP developer out there might benefit from Yii or would like to do the change. I think that some prefer staying with those systems which do not require strong OO understanding or that could benefit so much from good modular design like Yii projects can. So you wouldn't find me evangelizing Yii on every corner of the web. But when I think I spotted a candidate soul in the crowd I usually do.

What do you think?

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msg/yii-israel/-/Xyqc1WNq5SwJ.

Waseem Hamshawi

Mar 16, 2012, 4:31:29 AM3/16/12
to yii-i...@googlegroups.com
Maybe we can promote the framework toward the business sector, for developing upcoming projects with Yii (and not with zend/cake/drupal for example). there are many examples of highly scalable websites which were built with Yii.
You're right about the learning curve.. being pure OO framework makes it harder to learn, but more professional to use.

Boaz Rymland

Mar 16, 2012, 4:38:30 AM3/16/12
to yii-i...@googlegroups.com
I agree - any organization at any size that considers ZF/CI/Cake/etc as its platform should be interested by Yii.
Well, I guess that we are already doing this promotion anyway. If anyone has more ideas (of the hundreds of IT persons on this mailing list) please share :-)