Wishlist for next release: Performance, Performance and more performance

Karsten Becker

Apr 6, 2013, 4:13:48 PM4/6/13
to xtend...@googlegroups.com
Hey,
I really like XTend, and the source base I am using it on is not soo small. But right now the performance when using the XTend Editor is really, really awful.
Syntax highlighting is all over the place for seconds, typed characters take seconds to appear, error markers are marking half finished typed stuff, error markers don't disappear until manual rebuild, auto-completion causes beach balling on my Mac. And this is not some machine from a decade ago, its an I7 3.4GHz with 12Gig of RAM (2g are mx'ed for Eclipse).

Also some improvements in the generated code should not be too hard to make, such as better code generation when Enums are used.

Karsten

Vlad Dumitrescu

Apr 12, 2013, 2:44:27 AM4/12/13
to xtend...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I'd like to add my voice in support for this. From my experience, this kind of problems are at the Xtext level, as I got those with another language too. At that moment I was an isolated case with such a large codebase and it was only natural that the urgency of the matter wasn't too high; but now as Xtend gets used more, it will become increasingly important to do something about it; otherwise Xtend might become a victim of its own success...

regards,
Vlad

Karsten

Christian Dietrich

Apr 12, 2013, 7:22:58 AM4/12/13
to xtend...@googlegroups.com
We made following experience: The Build in the IDE as well as Standalone is much faster with 2.4.0 than it was in 2.3.1 and 2.2.1.
In the IDE we did following observations:
- The Memory Consumption when working with some bigger Xtend files is significantly higher
- Stuff Like Outline, Syntax Highlighting and Mark Occurences makes typing feeling very slow.
If i find the time i will do some Yourkit Debugging Sessions to see if that gives some hints.

Sven Efftinge

Apr 13, 2013, 11:12:05 AM4/13/13
to xtend...@googlegroups.com
Yes, 2.4.0 is faster, but far from fast enough.
We are of course aware of that and will focus on performance very soon…
Thanks for your patience :-)
@Christian: that doesn't mean that your efforts are not welcome. If you have found something (measured) please let us know.

Jesper Eskilson

May 28, 2013, 2:46:31 AM5/28/13
to xtend...@googlegroups.com
I have to chime in on this. I love the expressiveness in Xtend and the ability to write cleaner code, but the editor performance suffers badly.

I get the impression that there are lots of things which kick in as soon as you type anything. Would it be possible (for example) to delay some of these things so that the real-time critical stuff (typing, auto-completion, etc.) don't suffer? I wouldn't mind if Java code-generation was delayed until I actually want to launch.

/Jesper

Jan Köhnlein

May 28, 2013, 3:08:55 AM5/28/13
to xtend...@googlegroups.com
We are well aware of the performance issues. That's why we had a serious round of performance improvements for Xtend 2.4.2 which will be released with Eclipse Kepler (26th of June).

Java code generation only happens on save and is one of the less noticeable features. Loading, parsing and linking Xtend resources is worse, and we have improved on that significantly. The compiler / indexer runs a lot faster now.

For the interactive stuff, outline now runs mostly in background and the region of the document that is has to be updated on changes has been minimized. Typing and auto-completion feels really good now. We can still improve on code assist.

I hope this is a first step to keep you excited about Xtend. We have achieved a lot, but we will keep the topic on our agenda.

Regards
Jan
> --

Dr. Jan Köhnlein
Senior Software Architekt

Mobile: +49 (0) 151 / 17396687
Telefon: +49 (0) 431 / 99026870
Fax: +49 (0) 431 / 99026872

http://www.itemis.de
jan.ko...@itemis.de
https://www.xing.com/profile/Jan_Koehnlein

itemis AG
Niederlassung Kiel
Am Germaniahafen 1
24143 Kiel
http://www.itemis.de/

Rechtlicher Hinweis:

Amtsgericht Dortmund, HRB 20621

Vorstand: Jens Wagener (Vors.), Wolfgang Neuhaus, Dr. Georg Pietrek, Jens Trompeter, Sebastian Neus

Aufsichtsrat: Dr. Burkhard Igel (Vors.), Stephan Grollmann, Michael Neuhaus

Vlad Dumitrescu

May 28, 2013, 3:15:09 AM5/28/13
to xtend...@googlegroups.com
Hi!

This is good news about the performance improvements. Are these only for Xtend, or do they target the Xtext backend?

regards,
Vlad

Jan Köhnlein

May 28, 2013, 3:59:44 AM5/28/13
to xtend...@googlegroups.com
Roughly said, the editor improvements are for all Xtext languages. If you want the background outline, you have to implement another base class for your IOutlineTreeProvider and ILabelProvider. The builder improvements are mainly for Xtend.

Regards
Jan

Vlad Dumitrescu

May 28, 2013, 4:00:52 AM5/28/13
to xtend...@googlegroups.com
That's great! Thanks for the info!
/Vlad

Jesper Eskilson

May 30, 2013, 8:37:05 AM5/30/13
to xtend...@googlegroups.com
I just tried out the latest 2.4.2 bleeding edge, and it shows a
substantial performance improvement. Xtend just went from excellent
but painful to just excellent. :)

Thanks!

2013/5/28 Jan Köhnlein <jan.ko...@itemis.de>:
> You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Xtend Programming Language" group.

/Jesper