lagoa cloth meshing

Matt Morris

Jul 2, 2012, 6:18:51 PM7/2/12
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Hi guys,

I've got a tearing lagoa cloth sim that I'm fairly happy with, and am meshing it with empolygonizer3, but getting some extreme stretched polygons. Attached a small quicktime to show the prob.

I've tried pretty much every checkbox/easily changable option but no joy, even making it zero thickness doesn't help. Can sometimes lessen the amount by altering the sim slightly, but I was wondering if there are any ways to tell the mesher not to mesh a poly if it stretches past a certain amount?

I'm guessing the issue is with the toplogy building data inside lagoa, so is there a way to exclude points if they get too isolated from main sections?

thanks for any advice,
Matt

Leonard Koch

Jul 2, 2012, 9:09:10 PM7/2/12
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
That is a very nice sim you have there.
I have attached a compound that will delete all polygons that are bigger than a specified threshold. This should solve your problem, however as it is something very simple I just whipped up, it only works if all of the polygons on the mesh have the same number of vertices.
Just create an ice tree in the modeling stack on your mesh and plug in the compound.

Let me know if it works.
Delete Polygons by Size.xsicompound

Vincent Ullmann

Jul 3, 2012, 4:59:09 AM7/3/12
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
I think you might already tried this... but i looks like there arent enough substeps in you sim, to get the right collisons for every particle.

@Leonard:
Why did you make such a crazy compound?
I would have did something easy like this:

2012/7/3 Leonard Koch <leonard...@gmail.com>
Capture.JPG

olivier jeannel

Jul 3, 2012, 6:07:44 AM7/3/12
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Looks really super !
Is there a place to find some helpfull tutorial to achieve something like this ?

Matt Morris

Jul 3, 2012, 9:29:29 AM7/3/12
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Hi guys, thanks for the compounds, very useful!

My base mesh is a combination of diamonds and triangles (to give a nice torn look to the edge of the cloth) so used vincent's method and it works well, but crashes when I'm trying to combine it with uv transfer. Might be to do with order of operators etc, trying some diff combinations.

There are also some floating polys at the edges which I'd like to filter out using the filter points tab in the empoly options, struggling with how to idnetify those in the icetree.

Here's the base lagoa ice tree I'm using - just a polymesh to emit, and a few nulls to control where the elastic breaking point is weaker and to add some reverse gravity to the top section once it's separated. The uv stuff is something guilliame posted a while back, doesn't need to be there for the sim.

lagoa_cloth_icetree.jpg

Leonard Koch

Jul 3, 2012, 10:18:19 AM7/3/12
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com

Hah, because I didn't know of that functionality... Good to know.

olivier jeannel

Jul 3, 2012, 3:50:15 PM7/3/12
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Very interesting,