strand tree and xsi2014

Andi Farhall

Apr 9, 2014, 5:20:44 AM4/9/14
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Hello,

i was wondering if someone had tracked down the issue in Fabricio Chamon's superb strand tree compounds that stopped it working in  2014? Failing that would I be able to find a list of ice nodes that changed between 2013 and 1014 so i could at least have a chance of replacing / rebuilding just the bits that changed (before i rebuild them all by hand - and then discover that I've still not fixed it)

cheers,

A.

This email and any attachments to it may be confidential and are intended solely for the use of the individual to whom it is addressed. Any views or opinions expressed are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Hackney Effects Ltd.

If you are not the intended recipient of this email, you must neither take any action based upon its contents, nor copy or show it to anyone.

Fabricio Chamon

Apr 9, 2014, 7:19:01 PM4/9/14
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Hi Andi,

not that I know... some ice updates really messed up the whole thing.
unfortunatelly I will not have the time to dig into the nodes and fix it, sorry.

have you ever checked the (much more elegant solution) Forester plugin from 3dQuakers ? (http://3dquakers.com/web/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=70&Itemid=103)

Andi Farhall

Apr 10, 2014, 6:03:48 AM4/10/14
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
yeah the 3d quakers stuff looks good.... certainly worth the pennies they're charging. The ice tutorial stuff looks interesting too..

cheers,

Date: Wed, 9 Apr 2014 20:19:01 -0300
Subject: Re: strand tree and xsi2014
From: xsim...@gmail.com
To: soft...@listproc.autodesk.com

Cristobal Infante

Apr 10, 2014, 6:07:52 AM4/10/14
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Support your local plugin maker!,

from what he is commenting on his video he is not getting enough support from the softimage community:

Hans Adrian (Intern)

Apr 14, 2014, 4:26:02 AM4/14/14
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Hi,

Attached is modified Emit Branches compound which would work with the preset basic tree and other basic use. It has not been tested exhaustively, though.

from what he is commenting on his video he is not getting enough support from the softimage community:

https://vimeo.com/90092875

http://www.hackneyeffects.com/
https://vimeo.com/user4174293
http://www.linkedin.com/pub/andi-farhall/b/496/b21

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lord_hackney/
http://spylon.tumblr.com/

This email and any attachments to it may be confidential and are intended solely for the use of the individual to whom it is addressed. Any views or opinions expressed are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Hackney Effects Ltd.

If you are not the intended recipient of this email, you must neither take any action based upon its contents, nor copy or show it to anyone.

________________________________

Hans Adrian (Intern)

Apr 14, 2014, 5:05:25 AM4/14/14
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Here is the explanation for the modified `Emit Branches` compound:
I moved the `set data` node to outside of `Add point` node on creation. This is because whenever there is a `Add point` node, the custom attribute stored in points may be reset. This was the case with `self.__strandTree_NumBranchesPerIteration`, which was reset to 0. It caused division by 0 in `Even Distribution Grow` node and thus the whole compound does not work. To work around this, we need to set the custom attributes in per Object context, instead, so that those attributes will not reset when there is another `Add point` node.
winmail.dat

Andi Farhall

Apr 14, 2014, 5:15:04 AM4/14/14
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Thanks for the compound Hans, and the explanation also, very usefull.

cheers,

Andi

To: soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2014 09:05:25 +0000

Date: Wed, 9 Apr 2014 20:19:01 -0300
From: xsim...@gmail.com

Angus Davidson

Apr 14, 2014, 6:46:20 AM4/14/14
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Hi All

This year will be the last year we will be using Softimage for our main 3d animation course. ;( For the shift to Maya next year for this course (and for our 4th year  course starting in july) our Lecturer wants to go back to using Mental ray as the main renderer. (not my first choice)

To that end I need to set up a render farm that will be compatible with MR in Softimage 2014 and Maya 2015.

Currently I Can just install the apps on render farm machines and look into something like royal render to wrangle that.

Alternatively I can get them to export to .MI2 files and use the standalone render. (This has the benefit of allowing to use Mac OSX instead of boot camping)

While I have had great luck taking a similar approach in Arnold using .ass files I have never used Mental ray standalone.

Anyone had good / bad experiences going the standalone route for mental ray?

Kind regards

Angus

This communication is intended for the addressee only. It is confidential. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately and destroy the original message. You may not copy or disseminate this communication without the permission of the University. Only authorised signatories are competent to enter into agreements on behalf of the University and recipients are thus advised that the content of this message may not be legally binding on the University and may contain the personal views and opinions of the author, which are not necessarily the views and opinions of The University of the Witwatersrand, Johannesburg. All agreements between the University and outsiders are subject to South African Law unless the University agrees in writing to the contrary.

Sven Constable

Apr 14, 2014, 4:14:35 PM4/14/14
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com

Hi Angus,

I never touched the MR standalone route in depth, because of two things:

1. It needs extra standalone- licenses. And therefore will cost probably more than a few RR licences (I don't know if there are educational versions for MR standalone, however)

2. The export takes a decent amount of time and disk storage, depending on the scenes complexity (one file per frame and in general not very comfortable nor even idiot save ;). And students are lazy people right? Making every fuckup possible with sending their scenes).

Regarding the five batch render licences that comes with every Softimage seat and the ability to use also satellite rendering within the farm (the bugs with satellite rendering were fixed by mental images several versions back), seems to me as a smarter route than using standalone MR. Getting satellite rendering  to work with Royalrender is not supported out of the box but doable. I had a talk with Holger Schoenberger a while ago when I set up a farm using satellite rendering. http://www.binaryalchemy.de/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2291 That was more about security issues and to have it fully automated inside the production pipeline. But maybe useful.

As mentioned, I have not really any experiences in using standalone MR in production because I dropped it to the reasons stated above.

sven

Angus Davidson

Apr 14, 2014, 4:39:35 PM4/14/14
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Hi Sven

Thanks for the reply. Doest seem to be nearly as elegant as the Arnold method ;(

And your point 2. is true to the point where I want to dip it in bronze and preserve it forever ;)

Kind regards

Angus

Apr 14, 2014, 5:36:51 PM4/14/14
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com

You're right, but I think these advantages of using standalone-MR are very low or not existent in a educational environment. I wouldn't expect student to change MI2 files to get access to MR features that are not exposed in the GUI of their 3D-application. And that applies to Softimage as well as maya or 3dsmax. I was not talking about rendering from the GUI versus standalone but rendering xsi-scenes via batch with royalrender (or any other manager) instead of rendering pure MI2 files.

Siew Yi Liang

Apr 14, 2014, 5:50:30 PM4/14/14
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Hi Angus:

Our school uses Muster which actually just runs mayaBatch (or render.exe, whichever you like) rendering from a pre-specified template that we provide it (e.g. render -r mr <scene.ma>), and I've found it to be a lot easier to work with than going through exporting to a .mi file (which for my film project took a LOOONG time per scene, and I'd have to keep running my script to re-export those files every time we updated the animation), plus it solves a lot of issues that come with rendering via the GUI. I have no idea about how licensing would work in this case, but I can try to ask the IT department here if you'd like. I'm pretty sure we have a site-wide license for the school, though.

But yea, I would stick with mayaBatch. It doesn't actually launch the UI to render, so it's essentially for all intents and purposes the same as going through Mayatomr...but without the hassle of dealing with exporting to .mi files as well. I'm not a true render wrangler, so if anyone else has anything to add (why the hell is .mi export so slow, for instance :P ), I'd love to be corrected on this!

Yours sincerely,
Siew Yi Liang

Angus Davidson

Apr 14, 2014, 6:14:56 PM4/14/14
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Our students do not have very complex rendering requirements, so we have very rarely had rendering issues that were not a direct result of User error. I was originally thinking of creating a simple gui just as Matt suggested as we do have enough standalone licences for our small farm.

I think I am going to go the route of just using the batch render and script that. I think its something the students would be able to use.

I have used Muster and liked it but their EDU prices are out of our price range ;(  Will need to check to see what the current prices are for Royal Render.

I have had a look at the Whats New in Softimage 2015 that Chris posted again and while progressive rendering is in there doesn't seem to be any mention of being able to use the GPU for final renders so CPU farm still seems to be our way forward currently.

Thanks all the input.