GEAR_mc a fork of Jeremie Passerin's GEAR project

Miquel Campos

Aug 26, 2013, 10:48:41 PM8/26/13
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Hello,

I have just uploaded to github my custom fork of Jeremie Passerin's GEAR project.

Here is a little list of what's the new:

-New Menu re-arrange
-New Facial components
-New options for icon creator
-Selection sets and poseLib not part of Gear
-poseLib should work now in Linux (but not tested)
-Zipper tool for curves
-New solvers
-Wireframe color tool
-Guides support for store wireframe color
-New commands for inspect Guides PPG and solvers options
-Command for merge symmetry mapping templates.

Some of these new features were initially developed by Jeremie, who kindly shared with me some of his personal WIP code.

 BIG THANKS to Jeremie for the original code and all the help. And also BIG THANKS to Sly and PH from Shed  Montreal to allow me to release some internal code for the poseLib, selection sets and some of the facial components.

I will prepare with Alan some videos explaining the new features and tools. Stay tune to TDsurvival ;)

Cheers,
Miquel

Miquel Campos
www.miquelTD.com

Gustavo Eggert Boehs

Aug 26, 2013, 11:04:01 PM8/26/13
to SI mailing list
Very kind of you to share Miquel. Looks packed with good stuff!
I would ask a lot of questions, but I guess I will just wait for the funny video :D

Gustavo E Boehs
Dpto. de Expressão Gráfica
Universidade Federal de Santa Catarina
http://www.gustavoeb.com.br/blog

Raffaele Fragapane

Aug 26, 2013, 11:05:52 PM8/26/13
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Is Jeremy still working on/maintaining GEAR?
Maybe administration could be shared and this merged back into the original GEAR?

Good job Miquel.
--
Our users will know fear and cower before our software! Ship it! Ship it and let them flee like the dogs they are!

Emilio Hernandez

Aug 27, 2013, 12:05:14 AM8/27/13
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Awsome!  Good Job!  Thanks a lot!

2013/8/26 Raffaele Fragapane <raffsx...@googlemail.com>

Octavian Ureche

Aug 27, 2013, 3:14:39 AM8/27/13
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Big thanks to you, jeremie, and the crew at shed for this.

It will save lives :)

Martin

Aug 27, 2013, 4:21:58 AM8/27/13
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Thanks for sharing Miquel !

I'm looking forward to your new videos.

And thanks to the rest of Shed too, big fan of your work.

Martin

Daniel Kim

Aug 27, 2013, 4:22:15 AM8/27/13
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
It's really awesome. Thank you so much Miquel :)

Daniel

Nour Almasri

Aug 27, 2013, 4:38:51 AM8/27/13
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Awesome , thank you Miquel .

Matt Morris

Aug 27, 2013, 4:55:34 AM8/27/13
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Great way to start the week! Thanks Miquel and shed for sharing :)

On 27 August 2013 09:38, Nour Almasri <mr.nour...@gmail.com> wrote:
Awesome , thank you Miquel .

Darren Macpherson

Aug 27, 2013, 6:31:03 AM8/27/13
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
I'm a big fan of GEAR, so thank you Miquel and Shed for sharing, and of course Jeremie.  Looking forward to the videos.

--
darren macpherson | 3d artist | +2772 355 0924 | www.darrenmacpherson.com | dar...@darrenmacpherson.com | skype: darren.macpherson

Daniel Brassard

Aug 27, 2013, 8:02:37 AM8/27/13
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Thanks Miquel,

A couple of questions:
* Do you need the original Gear for your addons?
* Do you need to remove the original Gear before installing?

Dan

P.S.  Look like Jeremie main site is offline.

Daniel Brassard

Aug 27, 2013, 8:07:09 AM8/27/13
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
OK, Found his Github site.

Miquel Campos

Aug 27, 2013, 9:18:14 AM8/27/13
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Hello,

Thanks for the comments :)

Daniel: This version is replacing the original GEAR. The guides and rigs should be compatible. I will prepare today some videos of how to install it or switch between the 2 version if is needed. Also the xml need to be regenerated to handle the colours of the controls. I will do videos for everything :)

Miq

Miquel Campos
www.miquelTD.com

Miquel Campos

Aug 27, 2013, 9:24:38 AM8/27/13
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com

Raffaele:
as far I know he is not working on Gear. But maybe he, can add more light on this topic :)

About merging. I just discover today (Thanks to Daniel) that Jeremie has Github :P so yes why not :) I will ask to him.

Miquel Campos
www.miquelTD.com

Miquel Campos

Aug 27, 2013, 9:35:49 AM8/27/13
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Almost forget::

BIG THANKS to Helge for the original cpp solvers :)

Miquel Campos
www.miquelTD.com

2013/8/27 Miquel Campos <miquel...@gmail.com>
32F.png

Jeremie Passerin

Aug 27, 2013, 12:21:56 PM8/27/13
to softimage
Hey guys !

First of all congrats Miquel on the release now I can officially forward you all the support emails I'm getting ;-)

So Miquel kind of took over the Gear project. That was the idea behind it, everyone is free to grab it and extend what I did.
I no longer work on Gear because I'm working on new stuff for Blur that I hope will also be open source in a near future (need to finish it first though).
Miquel grabbed an unrealeased version of Gear that included a couple of WIP stuff I was working on before dropping it. He cleaned it and kept the things that were working in.
Miquel is an awesome TD and we were working closely together at the time I developed Gear so he knows it really well (probably better than I do now) and I trust him completely to have it extended in a Gear way !
Just take a look at his work at Shed, it's already a mix of Gear and his own stuff ! Looks really cool !

Yeah Gear is on Github but I don't really remember the last time I updated the repo... but yeah it could be a branch of the project or Miquel I could give you access to the repo if you just want to make it the official release.

Anyway, good luck with that, I'm still available for help if needed.
And yeah my website is done, should be back shortly... this is what happen when you don't pay your bills !

Jeremie
32F.png

Rares Halmagean

Aug 27, 2013, 12:25:17 PM8/27/13
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
I'll through in a Huzzah and big thanks for the addition. Can't wait to try it out.
--
Rares Halmagean
___________________________________

Adam Sale

Aug 27, 2013, 12:34:50 PM8/27/13
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Awesome news. Just in time for the start of September classes.

Adam

Mirko Jankovic

Aug 27, 2013, 12:45:54 PM8/27/13
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
hip hip hip hooray for our SI masters! :)

Emilio Hernandez

Aug 27, 2013, 1:06:22 PM8/27/13
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Yeah!  Waiting anxiously for the videos!

Thanks Jeremie for the solid foundation of GEAR and thank you Miquel for keeping it not only alive but sailing!

2013/8/27 Mirko Jankovic <mirkoj....@gmail.com>

Halim Negadi

Aug 27, 2013, 1:38:25 PM8/27/13
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Thank you Miguel, couldn't dream of a better timing as we were planning to use gear for our first teaser over here.

Glad to see you guys keeping our weapon alive.

Miquel Campos

Aug 27, 2013, 1:46:31 PM8/27/13
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Oh! nice! :) Halim, where is "here"?

Miquel Campos
www.miquelTD.com

Sylvain Lebeau

Aug 27, 2013, 8:54:38 PM8/27/13
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Hi guys!!!

Nice to see the reception of this new version.

Gear as changed the way we do characters at shed when Miquel came in to work with us…  And was mostly introduced in our initial IGA commercials if i remember well..
And then spreaded out to every projects we do.  It helped us out a lot.

It was just a matter of common sense to share it back to our sweet SI community and keep it alive.
Thanks Miquel for your devotion and hard work!

sly

Sylvain Lebeau // SHED
V-P/Visual effects supervisor
1410, RUE STANLEY, 11E ÉTAGE MONTRÉAL (QUÉBEC) H3A 1P8
T 514 849-1555 F 514 849-5025
WWW.SHEDMTL.COM <http://WWW.SHEDMTL.COM>

Sylvain Lebeau

Aug 27, 2013, 9:02:49 PM8/27/13
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Thanks to you too Jeremie…. Of course…..you laid down the whole thing quite nicely for Miq to play with!!
But please… Don't directly forward the support mails to Miquel … pouahahahahahahah ;-)
Oh well…. I think he'll have to live with that now…

And it won't be very obvious he's awnsering them in the daytime work since he his always freaking typing his keyboard.

:-)

Sylvain Lebeau // SHED
V-P/Visual effects supervisor
1410, RUE STANLEY, 11E ÉTAGE MONTRÉAL (QUÉBEC) H3A 1P8
T 514 849-1555 F 514 849-5025
WWW.SHEDMTL.COM <http://WWW.SHEDMTL.COM>

Halim Negadi

Aug 28, 2013, 12:13:38 AM8/28/13
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Hi Miguel,

We plan to work with GEAR in the next few months at Forge Animation, in south of france. ( www.forge-animation.com )

Szabolcs Matefy

Aug 28, 2013, 2:20:50 AM8/28/13
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com

Thanks Miguel and Jeremie, Gear is one of the ebst and most important contribution to Softimage community. J

So when the new features video will be alive?

Cheers

Szabolcs

Sebastien Sterling

Aug 28, 2013, 3:17:52 AM8/28/13
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
YES !

Muhamad Faizol Abd. Halim

Aug 28, 2013, 5:07:51 AM8/28/13
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Hi Miquel,

Any laid out road map for future development?

Cheers.

On 8/28/13, Sebastien Sterling <sebastien...@gmail.com> wrote:
> YES !
>

> On 28 August 2013 08:20, Szabolcs Matefy <szab...@crytek.com> wrote:
>
>> Thanks Miguel and Jeremie, Gear is one of the ebst and most important
>> contribution to Softimage community. J****
>>
>> ** **
>>
>> So when the new features video will be alive?****
>>
>> ** **
>>
>> ** **
>>
>> ** **
>>
>> Cheers****
>>
>> ** **
>>
>> ** **
>>
>> Szabolcs****
>>
>> ** **

Miquel Campos

Aug 28, 2013, 8:46:53 AM8/28/13
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Thanks for the link Halim,

Windwalkers looks really nice. I like the idea of 16+ film :)   And I see Marc Caro as an Artistic Director :D I Hope the best for the project :)

Miquel Campos
www.miquelTD.com

Miquel Campos

Aug 28, 2013, 8:51:32 AM8/28/13
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
 Muhamad:  Any laid out road map for future development?

Yes I have a kind of road map :P

For the moment I would like to add (ASAP) some more rigging components  and add some functionalities to some of the tools. Later I have a list of ideas, but not sure where to start yet :P

Miquel Campos
www.miquelTD.com

Mirko Jankovic

Aug 28, 2013, 9:01:03 AM8/28/13
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
there is plan to make installation friendly as well, something like in form of addon?
also so far I helped like bunch of people to install gear, they all had problems with python path and modules.
if that part could be solved to have everything for installation as much as possible user friendly it would me this even better if that is possible at all :)

Miquel Campos

Aug 28, 2013, 9:14:38 AM8/28/13
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Hello Mirko,

For the moments no plans to make an easier installation. But I recorded a video of how to install it, should be online today :)

Miquel Campos
www.miquelTD.com

Miquel Campos

Aug 28, 2013, 11:22:25 AM8/28/13
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Hello,

first videos are ready:

001 - installation https://vimeo.com/73286635
002 - icons https://vimeo.com/73286662
003 - zipper https://vimeo.com/73304786
004 - wireframe colorizer https://vimeo.com/73304787
005 - solvers https://vimeo.com/73304788

:)

Miq

Emilio Hernandez

Aug 28, 2013, 12:24:25 PM8/28/13
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Hey Miquel.... You rule!!!

Thanks a lot

2013/8/28 Miquel Campos <miquel...@gmail.com>

Tim Crowson

Aug 28, 2013, 12:29:24 PM8/28/13
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Thanks so much Miquel! Are there any known compatibility problems with the previous versions of GEAR?

-Tim
--

Tim Crowson
Lead CG Artist

Magnetic Dreams, Inc.
2525 Lebanon Pike, Building C. Nashville, TN 37214
Ph  615.885.6801 | Fax  615.889.4768 | www.magneticdreams.com
tim.c...@magneticdreams.com

Confidentiality Notice: This email, including attachments, is confidential and should not be used by anyone who is not the original intended recipient(s). If you have received this e-mail in error please inform the sender and delete it from your mailbox or any other storage mechanism. Magnetic Dreams, Inc cannot accept liability for any statements made which are clearly the sender's own and not expressly made on behalf of Magnetic Dreams, Inc or one of its agents.

Miquel Campos

Aug 28, 2013, 1:03:07 PM8/28/13
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Hello Tim,

The only issue that I found was with the xml templates. You need to generate it with the original GEAR. Later save the guide as a model/scene. Reload Gear_mc and re-export the guide to an xml template.

This will avoid an error at loading time with the color in the controls.  If you already have controls stored in the guide all the controls will turn grey when you generate the rig.
Use the wireframe color tool and extract the controls from the rig to the guide. This action will re-color your guide for future use :)

I will do a video of this for better explanation.

Cheers,
Miquel

Miquel Campos
www.miquelTD.com