[ICE] random tip about array-per-array ops

Oleg Bliznuk

Jun 26, 2012, 11:35:38 AM6/26/12
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Hi list,
I am digging at this time into the topic of array-per-array operations without while\repeat nodes  and trying to avoid building a custom node for each op that I perform, so I have found one handy tip how to perform some of these op - we can only use Generate Sample set ( witout any geo on input ) in any place with exact count of required element to select data from first ( or second ) array and do something with it, thus we can get a set-context without generating a real geometry ( and as I understood we also involve multithreading this way ). I hope this can help someone.
regards,
Oleg
gen_sample_set.jpg

Christian Gotzinger

Jun 27, 2012, 7:02:05 AM6/27/12
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Woooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooow! This looks super useful, and I've been wanting to do this kind of thing many times before. Particularly the Find in Array has made me use Repeat loops way too often.
Thank you for discovering and sharing!

Sebastian Kowalski

Jun 27, 2012, 8:25:55 AM6/27/12
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
i have the gut feeling this is something amazing, but i dont understand a damn thing...

Fabricio Chamon

Jun 27, 2012, 8:45:56 AM6/27/12
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
"i have the gut feeling this is something amazing, but i dont
understand a damn thing..." lol, me too.

But I think this is a way to use "find in array" node to find arrays
inside arrays. If so this is very useful indeed. Thanks for sharing
Oleg!

one thing I noticed when recostructing the tree: when you reach at the
"find in array", be sure to first plug duplicates_array -> Array port,
THEN select in array -> Value, or else you may get context mismatch.

Sebastian Kowalski

Jun 27, 2012, 8:56:49 AM6/27/12
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
no i got it...
indeed nice one
Am 27.06.2012 um 14:54 schrieb Fabricio Chamon:

> yes, very cool! thanks again!
> <debug.jpg>

Fabricio Chamon

Jun 27, 2012, 8:54:27 AM6/27/12
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
debug.jpg

Vincent Ullmann

Jul 4, 2012, 5:28:19 AM7/4/12
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Just used this Tipp to create a "Get DistanceSum of Array"-Compound.... or so...

It calculates the Sum of the Distances between the ArrayElement and all it lower Elements.

ArraySum.jpg
NormalDistanceCalc.jpg

Fabricio Chamon

Jul 4, 2012, 10:27:52 AM7/4/12
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Nice Vincent !
...but for this task I think this method may be easier...
icetree.jpg
result.jpg
compound.jpg
get cumumlative distance.xsicompound

Chris Chia

Jul 4, 2012, 11:41:42 PM7/4/12
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Nice compound out there...
:D
winmail.dat

Dan Yargici

Jan 16, 2013, 8:36:22 AM1/16/13
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Just want to re-visit this thread to thank Oleg and reiterate how this is all kinds of crazy awesome.

Thanks!

DAN

Raffaele Fragapane

Jan 21, 2013, 5:45:30 PM1/21/13
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
I missed out on this, and wish I hadn't. It's very nifty.
Would be cool if Stephen could get permission to dump it in his ICE articles, xsisupport is one of the most recurring sites when searching for anything ICE and array, and he has some rather useful repeat-dodging articles already over there.
--
Our users will know fear and cower before our software! Ship it! Ship it and let them flee like the dogs they are!