Preskoči na prvo neprebrano sporočilo

Sergio Mucino

neprebran,
5. feb. 2014, 15:53:565. 2. 14
do soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Hey there. I could use some recommendations here. I'm trying to add some jiggle as secondary motion to a mesh I have. I just need it in certain parts of the mesh. So, I did some research, and decided to use this guy's compound...

http://vimeo.com/41299656

I got it running, but it's INSANELY slow (I have no idea how he got it to run like that in his video. My mesh is more complex, but nothing extraordinary... and it's just a stand-in! The real model will definitely be higher-res).
So, before I run down the road of using proxies, shrink-wraps, etc. does anyone have any suggestions around creating this kind of effect on an object in a more efficient manner? I'm all ears. It doesn't have to be incredibly accurate. Just need to see some motion going on there (I need it to 'simulate' fat on a character, but nothing massive).

Thanks for any suggestions!
--

Eric Thivierge

neprebran,
5. feb. 2014, 15:57:375. 2. 14
do soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Look at the docs for the Verlet integration I believe they have an
example in there.

Eric T.

Sergio Mucino

neprebran,
5. feb. 2014, 15:58:395. 2. 14
do Eric Thivierge, soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Will do. Thanks Eric!
--

Sergio Mucino

neprebran,
5. feb. 2014, 16:27:395. 2. 14
do soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Okay. I must be missing something simple, but I cannot get this to work.
I've followed the instructions here:

http://softimage.wiki.softimage.com/xsidocs/idef_deforms_VerletIntegration.htm
I'm even working with a simpler example. No forces or anything. Just the framework (and the init node of course) and a weight map. And when I play back the scene... nothing. The mesh is not moving at all. Even the envelope in the Anim context is not working either. Have I missed something? Thanks!

--

Noel FROGER

neprebran,
5. feb. 2014, 16:46:445. 2. 14
do sergio...@modusfx.com, soft...@listproc.autodesk.com

Hi,

Because i found the softimage verlet integration don't really preserve volume, I recently used as a basis theses coumpounds linked bellow.

This is verlet but simplified with a working volume preservation as a simple spring system.

If you disconnect the collision part you'll normally end up with a simple spring verlet system ;-)

http://www.si-community.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1648&p=12195&hilit=+ripple#p12195

A+

Noël

Sergio Mucino

neprebran,
5. feb. 2014, 17:02:095. 2. 14
do Noel FROGER, soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Thanks Noel. It seems I can't get this to work. I plugged the Init Verlet Deformation compound in my Init tree, and the BasicVerletSpringDeformation compound in my simulation tree, but the latter stays red. I don't need collisions, so I'm not sure what I'm missing to get it to work. Any ideas? Thanks!
--

Sergio Mucino

neprebran,
5. feb. 2014, 17:05:395. 2. 14
do Noel FROGER, soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Okay. I needed to reference the mesh in the Deformation compound to get it to work.
It's technically working, but the mesh is still not moving at all. It just seems to be broken. I assume that given the previous compound doing the same, I'm missing something that would get Softimage to actually simulate, or something (according to the docs, I just need to hit play, but seems not to be the case).
Am I missing something I need to enable for the sim to run, or something similar? Thanks!

On 05/02/2014 4:46 PM, Noel FROGER wrote:
--

Grahame Fuller

neprebran,
5. feb. 2014, 17:15:465. 2. 14
do soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Try the Deformation_Verlet_Cloth sample in the XSI_SAMPLES project. Does it work for you? It does for me. I’m thinking there’s something about how you are setting up the tree but I’m not sure what.

gray

P.S. Documenting “jiggly bits” was one of the highlights of my career at Softimage.