Particle Sim question

Ben Beckett

Jan 13, 2013, 6:44:04 AM1/13/13
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Hi All

I was wondering I have a particle sim that is cached I need to instance the cache with a bug there quite a few and when it goes to render it said "no way!" Computer said NO.

So it bring me to ask a question does any one know how  I could split the cache or even split it in to 5 scenes, am thinking.

What am thinking is that I need is to delete every second particle lets say with a condition.

I have tried with no luck maybe this does not work with a cache am thinking!

I would love to to keep every other like every 5th or 9th for example.

Is there any one that could point me in the right direction please.

Thanks
Ben
Happy new year everyone!

Rob Chapman

Jan 13, 2013, 6:58:32 AM1/13/13
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
few things Ben,

so you are using MR? - have you tried creating Stand-ins and instancing these rather than geometry? Ive managed to get a animated crowd of 80k+ low to mid res characters with stand-ins that normal instanced particles would not render due to memory limitations.

easiest way (imo) to split the cache up would be to partition it. get some very big cubes to divide up the scene space and use If> the 'point in volume' node to detect if the particle is inside the cube or not > delete.

cheers

Rob

Rob Chapman

Jan 13, 2013, 7:45:08 AM1/13/13
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
and.. if you wanted to try the other way of splitting your particles into numerical amounts use the 'modulo' math node like below - this basically splits your particle amount into half

ive used element index as input because no doubt, like myself, you never used to bother to save the Particle ID with the cache when you were starting out with ICE :)
Capture_modulo.JPG

Ben Beckett

Jan 13, 2013, 2:42:51 PM1/13/13
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com