ICE: Profile Curve for Apply Extrude Polygon Along Axis?

Byron Nash

Jun 6, 2012, 4:22:22 PM6/6/12
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
I'm new to ICE modeling so forgive me if I ask some n00b questions here. I'd like to randomly extrude polygons and control the extrusion with a fcurve. I'm not sure how to create a controllable random array of integers for starters. I keep trying different combinations and haven't quite got it yet. After I get my array of integers to extrude with, how can I attach an fcurve to the extrude and control the shape?

Thanks! See attached WIP.
extrude_fail.jpg

Stephen Blair

Jun 6, 2012, 4:37:54 PM6/6/12
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
You can randomly extrude polygons
http://xsisupport.wordpress.com/2012/05/03/ice-modeling-extruding-a-random-polygon/

but you can't have different extrusion lengths, they'll all be the same (that's a logged issue)
winmail.dat

Byron Nash

Jun 6, 2012, 4:55:42 PM6/6/12
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
How about using a curve to control the inset at each subdivision?

Guillaume Laforge

Jun 6, 2012, 5:13:54 PM6/6/12
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
You can't set individual length using this setup. This is because the Extrude Polygon Island compound is taking one value for the extrusion transformation.

The only way is to use a repeat node. Let me try it, I'll be back in a couple of minutes !

Byron Nash

Jun 6, 2012, 5:31:27 PM6/6/12
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Stephen, I tried your random array and it seems to be working somewhat. I'm definitely getting a set of index values that I need. Although, the extrusions are all going the same direction even when I use Apply Extrude Polygon Along Axis instead of Extrude Polygon island. Why would the integer array affect the extrude direction?

Stephen Blair

Jun 6, 2012, 5:41:47 PM6/6/12
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Per-poly values don't work for some things like inset and length. I didn't try direction.

On Wed, Jun 6, 2012 at 5:13 PM, Guillaume Laforge <guillaum...@autodesk.com<mailto:guillaum...@autodesk.com>> wrote:
You can't set individual length using this setup. This is because the Extrude Polygon Island compound is taking one value for the extrusion transformation.

The only way is to use a repeat node. Let me try it, I'll be back in a couple of minutes !

Jun 6, 2012, 9:29:24 PM6/6/12
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Wow, thanks Guillaume. That's really awesome.

Christian Gotzinger

Jun 9, 2012, 7:46:08 AM6/9/12
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
The compounds that have been posted have probably answered this already, but just to point it out:
To get a random integer array, you plug an array (e.g. via the Build Index Array node) into the ID port of the Random Value node.

Rob Chapman

Jul 10, 2012, 7:57:38 AM7/10/12
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Hi , we are still on 2012 here, is there a reason that this compound
is 2013 only or can it be made with the compounds that come with 2012
Sap?

cheers

Rob

Rob Chapman

Jul 10, 2012, 8:38:45 AM7/10/12
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
and it appears not... the compound loads in 2012 ok and there are no
red nodes inside.. it just appears not to work... so I think
Christian mentions in another thread how to build a random array by

'To get a random integer array, you plug an array (e.g. via the Build
Index Array node) into the ID port of the Random Value node'

but whatever I do with this I always get a context mismatch when
trying to connect this to anything - it is always expecting 'per
object'

So the question remains, is it possible to randomly extrude polygons
with random lengths in Ice Modelling 2012?

cheers

Rob

Stephen Blair

Jul 10, 2012, 9:49:47 AM7/10/12
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
There's a warning when you import this compound into 2012:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5533643/Softimage/Compounds/Random%20Extrusion.xsicompound

// WARNING : 3000-EDIT-AddICECompoundNode - Could not find node : BuildArrayFromSetNode

If you put back the missing Build Array from Set node, then it appears to work in 2012 SAP.
(it goes between the If and the Find in Array)

Jul 10, 2012, 9:59:14 AM7/10/12
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
thanks for that, weirdly, i tried it 'as is' in 2013SP1 and it works
perfectly without the missing BuildArrayFromSet

-----
No virus found in this message.

Rob Chapman

Jul 10, 2012, 9:59:06 AM7/10/12
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
awesome! was going round in circles trying to wire this up correctly.
saw that it wasnt wired up and was trying to plug in Build index
array.

thank you very much , I can stay in 2012 with the rest of Production now :)

Stephen Blair

Jul 10, 2012, 10:01:47 AM7/10/12
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Hi

In 2013 SP1, the node isn't missing and I didn't get the warning.

winmail.dat