Filter volume emission by weightmap?

Matt Lowery

Mar 26, 2012, 12:11:26 PM3/26/12
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Hi all,

I'm trying to do something that sounds super easy, but I'm not having
much luck. I want to filter ( using a weight map) the emition of
particles that are emitted from the volume of an emitter object. (So not
emitted from the surface)

I've attached an image of the ICE tree setup that I thought would do the
trick but if I try and run this soft just freeze immediately. Any ideas?
I'm running 2012 SAP (64 bit)

m@

Death_by_ICE.jpg

Alok Gandhi

Mar 26, 2012, 12:15:52 PM3/26/12
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Shouldn't you be getting closest locations from the emit mesh point position to query the weight points ?

-----
No virus found in this message.
Internal Virus Database is out of date.

Rob Chapman

Mar 26, 2012, 12:32:55 PM3/26/12
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
hi Matt,

in theory what you want to do should work ok, not sure about your IF node and what its doing is correct, I would not use the IF & just connect the 'Found'  to the 'Deleted'

also nearest location to weightmap I would do as a simple  'get data node' from the location to source and then use the explorer to dig down into the weightmap weights needed.

sometimes you need to explicitly tell ICE how to behave, especially with weight maps

Best

Rob

patrick nethercoat

Mar 26, 2012, 12:33:20 PM3/26/12
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
This should work for you.

filterByWMap.jpg

pet...@skynet.be

Mar 26, 2012, 1:49:35 PM3/26/12
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
(just stating the obvious)
this example will filter for every frame in the simulation – so rather connect to ‘execute on emission’ to filter on emission only.

Matt Lowery

Mar 26, 2012, 1:01:13 PM3/26/12
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Thanks for all the replies guys.

Patrick yours was very helpful, I found replacing the 'round' and 'greater than' nodes with a 'test random probability', results in a filter that fades the delete particles with the weight of the map as opposed to just deleting below a fixed value on the weightmap. Anyway thanks again.

m@

Patrick Nethercoat

Mar 26, 2012, 2:13:40 PM3/26/12
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Yes, that's worth mentioning. I slapped it together like a gay cavalier.
that also illustrates one of the *wonderful* qualities of ICE, that you can slap and bodge and still achieve results. :-)

Sent from my MacBook Wheel

pet...@skynet.be

Mar 26, 2012, 3:00:47 PM3/26/12
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
or more importantly: one ‘solution’ can serve different purposes –
and that could be as simple as plugging it in a different slot in the tree.