Exocortex Species 1.6 Released

Chris Covelli

Apr 4, 2013, 10:49:49 AM4/4/13
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com

Exocortex Species 1.6

Create Better Characters Even Faster

Species 1.6 is now available at Exocortex.com.

We created this video overview of the new features: http://vimeo.com/62914955

What is Species?

Exocortex Species simplifies the process of human character creation from designing your

character’s unique attributes, integrating sculpting results, to rig creation, even animation. With

Species, you will create higher quality animated characters faster and at a lower cost, while

avoiding the generic look that often come when purchasing off-the-shelf models. Exocortex

Species supports Autodesk Softimage 2010 through 2013 on both Windows and Linux. Floating

and node locked licenses are available starting at $299.

Improvements in Species 1.6

1. Custom PropRig Import

A new preference that allows the user to define a directory to export and import customized

PropRigs for repeated use. PropRigs within those folders are now listed in the Species > Build >

Import Custom menu split into “Male” and “Female” sub-menus.

2. Plot Limb Anim Tool Feature

An addition to our AnimTools is the new Plot Limb command which allows you to plot and

transfer motion between FK and IK for both arms and legs. This utilizes the MatchFKIK

command and plots the motion during the active time range.

3. Improved  High Res Body Mesh topology and deformation

We’ve updated the body mesh for both male and female characters.  The new meshes are more

detailed, fully quaded, and have more evenly distributed topology for better deformation and high

end sculpting.

4. New Low Res and Proxy Body Meshes

A new quad based low res body mesh for faster interaction while animating (~40 FPS playback).

A new cube based proxy body mesh for super fast interaction while animating (~40-50 FPS

playback).

5. New Body Shapes

Old and Young shapes for varying the age of your Species characters.

Top Heavy and Bottom Heavy shapes for adding mass to either the upper or lower half of your

Species characters.

Chest expand and Chest contract shapes for inflating and deflating the chest of your Species

characters.

6. Synoptics

Updated synoptics with new controls to switch mesh resolution and smoothing.

Individual control reset combos.  Press Ctrl+Shift+LMB on any synoptic control to reset, and

Press Ctrl+Shift+MMB on a control to reset a whole branch.

7. ReplaceMesh command re-written
The ReplaceMesh command has been rewritten and expanded to now include the ability to

replace the BodyLow and BodyProxy meshes if necessary.

8. Bug Fixes

AnimRig Vertebrae 02 and 03 deformers misaligned

Getting Species 1.6

If you are not yet using Exocortex Species, give it a try by downloading the trial from the

Exocortex Species product page.

For those already using Exocortex Species, you can download the 1.6 update directly from here.

Join the Species User Community

Get the most out of Exocortex Species by joining our user support and discussion mailing list,

viewing our online documentation, and check out our many tutorial videos on our Vimeo group

These are the best places to learn about Species and get the latest news directly from the developers.

Tim Crowson

Apr 4, 2013, 2:30:36 PM4/4/13
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Hi Chris,

We've updated it here but get an error when starting Softimage, saying the species module can't be found (I'm guessing this module is new to 1.6). Whether we're using XSI's python or Windows python makes no difference. Any suggestions?

Looks like a great update though!

-Tim

On 4/4/2013 9:49 AM, Chris Covelli wrote:

[...]

���

--

\

Eric Thivierge

Apr 4, 2013, 2:40:44 PM4/4/13
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
I'll be in touch offlist Tim.

Eric Thivierge
http://www.ethivierge.com

On Thu, Apr 4, 2013 at 2:30 PM, Tim Crowson <tim.c...@magneticdreams.com> wrote:
[...]

Eric Thivierge

Apr 4, 2013, 6:10:41 PM4/4/13
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Just as a reminder, we recommend extracting the workgroup from the .zip file and connecting to it through the workgroups tab in the plug-in manager and not pulling the files out and overwriting the previous version. Some files get re-organized and new files are put in place and as such old files may end up persisting when they shouldn't.

We got Tim squared away and if anyone else has any issues please be sure to send us an email and we'll get you up and running again.

Eric Thivierge
http://www.ethivierge.com

Alok Gandhi

Apr 4, 2013, 10:00:50 PM4/4/13
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Can't you guys ship it as si addon. That way the user will have to do nothing other than to install the addon (drag and drop).

Just a small suggestion . . .

Sent from my iPhone

Eric Thivierge

Apr 4, 2013, 10:18:37 PM4/4/13
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com

It gets a little complicated at times with the licensing using that method.

Also upgrading from one version to another is as simple as connecting to a new workgroup. If needed you can reconnect to previous versions if needed without deleting files as everything is left intact. Unlike with add-ons.

Rob Wuijster

Apr 5, 2013, 3:45:08 AM4/5/13
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
A zip file might be more convenient in some cases??

Rob
\/-------------\/----------------\/

No virus found in this message.

Chris Covelli

Apr 5, 2013, 7:26:04 AM4/5/13
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
For the record, our package is a zip file upon download, and does in fact include an xsi addon file.  We recommend using the workgroup method however, because we find it much easier to upgrade rather than uninstalling the previous version and installing the new version.  Something to consider is that we do not release patch updates.  Every version we put out is a full version, and you cannot have 2 versions of Species running at the same time, so every time you want to upgrade, you have to uninstall and reinstall.  We give you the option to go addon, but from our experience, our customers have a much easier time and fewer problems with the workgroups.

Eric Thivierge

Apr 10, 2013, 1:14:40 PM4/10/13
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
We had a few rather annoying bugs in the 1.6 release and we've now fixed them. See below for fixes.
  1. Fix custom menu enable
    The system tried creating the custom menus before it checked the validity of the directory. It now checks first and if not valid it won't generate the menu list.

  2. Fix shutil import error
    Missing module import in one of the modules and is now fixed.

  3. ReplaceMesh skip source meshes if not found
    During a replace mesh process, if the system doesn't find the source mesh, it is skipped and info is logged in the script history. Also we added a dialogue informing you that the ReplaceMesh command finished.

  4. Upgrade 1.5 rig code added to AnimRig build and ReplaceMesh
    We added a few hierarchies and meshes to the PropRigs for 1.6 and thus using 1.5.x PropRigs fail in 1.6. We've added code to upgrade them so all necessary nulls are present. We do NOT add the Low or Proxy meshes though, just the group nulls.

Eric Thivierge
http://www.ethivierge.com

Szabolcs Matefy

Apr 11, 2013, 2:58:05 AM4/11/13
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com

Deep respect guys! :D

Raffaele Fragapane

Apr 11, 2013, 3:02:43 AM4/11/13
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Is that better or worse than being widely respected?
--
Our users will know fear and cower before our software! Ship it! Ship it and let them flee like the dogs they are!

Xavier Lapointe

Apr 11, 2013, 3:13:31 AM4/11/13
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Mind the gap

Szabolcs Matefy

Apr 11, 2013, 3:25:28 AM4/11/13
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com

Uhm….Nice work! J

Szabolcs Matefy

Apr 11, 2013, 3:26:52 AM4/11/13
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com

Actually it might be a language barrier, deep respect is here in Hungary the best of the respects. Wide respect is a bit funny, because wide is something like me (wide on X axis, quite OK on Y axis, and a bit wide on Z axis)…:D

Apr 11, 2013, 4:12:14 AM4/11/13
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com

Sure! :D

So what about widely deep respect? ;)

olivier jeannel

Apr 11, 2013, 8:14:36 AM4/11/13
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Hi guys,

I'm doing some R&D for an hypothetical upcoming project.
The idea, is recreating pictures using roadmaps.
Here's a test to explain a little :

I would like some of the instanced particles not to use their own self Texture Projection, but instead to pick up a larger Texture Projection a bit like explained under :

Is it possible ?

Thanks for any ideas :)

Olivier

Leonard Koch

Apr 11, 2013, 8:20:12 AM4/11/13
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Not really as far as I know. You will probably have to built a mesher and controll the UVs on that.
I recently had to do that for a client and it wasn't too difficult.
ddjahcge.jpg
effdgfea.jpg

olivier jeannel

Apr 11, 2013, 8:25:43 AM4/11/13
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Hi Leonard,
Do you mean a Mesher like the Instancer in Momentum ?

Leonard Koch

Apr 11, 2013, 8:36:19 AM4/11/13
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Yeah sure, or you can just build your own.
especially if the particle geometry is simple it is really not that hard to write some custom vectors as UVs.

Gustavo Eggert Boehs

Apr 11, 2013, 8:57:20 AM4/11/13
to SI mailing list
Hi Olivier,
Leonards approach sounds very good and not much complicated... Still I was intrigued to see if what you suggested was possible, and it is if you do some magic in the render tree.
What you need to do is get closest location on the projection you want to evaluate and store this values as a ICE attribute, like UVoffset, for example. Then in the render tree get a image lookup node, so you can roll your own texture projection, bring in the ICE attribute you created, and the original UVs of your particles (with Projeciton Lookup Node). Basically what you need to do then is to rescale your projection so it matches the world size of your particles, and add the pre-calculated offset. Hope it makes sense, here are some images...

Capture1.JPG
Capture.JPG

Chris Covelli

Apr 11, 2013, 8:57:19 AM4/11/13
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Im all for people arguing over how best to congratulate us, lol.  Seriously, though, thanks so much for the support!

Gustavo Eggert Boehs

Apr 11, 2013, 8:57:58 AM4/11/13
to SI mailing list
Ps, not all renders support Projection and Image Lookup nodes :(

2013/4/11 Gustavo Eggert Boehs <gust...@gmail.com>

Hi Olivier,
Leonards approach sounds very good and not much complicated... Still I was intrigued to see if what you suggested was possible, and it is if you do some magic in the render tree.
What you need to do is get closest location on the projection you want to evaluate and store this values as a ICE attribute, like UVoffset, for example. Then in the render tree get a image lookup node, so you can roll your own texture projection, bring in the ICE attribute you created, and the original UVs of your particles (with Projeciton Lookup Node). Basically what you need to do then is to rescale your projection so it matches the world size of your particles, and add the pre-calculated offset. Hope it makes sense, here are some images...

olivier jeannel

Apr 11, 2013, 9:17:21 AM4/11/13
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Hey Gustavo,
I'm going to try your approach. Never manipulated uvs in ice before :)

Hey Leonard,
This is far beyond what I know :) Would use some already made compound in that case :)

Thank you guys, this should keep me busy this afternoon, I'll let you know.

Gustavo Eggert Boehs

Apr 11, 2013, 11:10:28 AM4/11/13
to SI mailing list
Thinking more deeply about it, my approach can become quite a bit more complicated when you throw rotations in the mix, plus there is the 3rd party renderer limitation I later warned about... so in the end, Leonards approach might be the most fail safe one...

Eric Thivierge

Apr 11, 2013, 11:25:33 AM4/11/13

On Thu, Apr 11, 2013 at 4:07 AM, Raffaele Fragapane <raffsx...@googlemail.com> wrote:
It was just some silliness  because Eric's threads can't be left untouched by some non-sense, it would be improper.

It's how I know Raf cares. :)

olivier jeannel

Apr 11, 2013, 12:05:57 PM4/11/13
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
That's the conclusion i'm coming to.
I can't find a way to "counter rotate" the particles Projection look up.

Not tried Leonard's approach yet. Makes me a bit nervous to generate geometry... I liked the idea to stick to particles ^^

Leonard Koch

Apr 11, 2013, 12:16:58 PM4/11/13
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
If you end up having trouble down the line, just contact me.
I'm sure we can get together on Skype or over email and hash something out that works for you.

olivier jeannel

Apr 11, 2013, 1:05:18 PM4/11/13
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Hey Leonard !
That's very kind of you :)
I managed to do something. It's on stanby for today, need some more info on that project atm.
I'll re-drop a mail here if I need some more help :)
Anyway, thanks both you and Gustavo :)

Olivier

Raffaele Fragapane

Apr 11, 2013, 6:46:58 PM4/11/13
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Don't you have some Canadian jobs to steal?

Eric Thivierge

Apr 11, 2013, 7:12:19 PM4/11/13
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com

When there are none left in the states what else can I do? :)

Chris Covelli

May 1, 2013, 4:01:30 PM5/1/13
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Hey Everyone,

Hope this isnt considered spamming but I just wanted to let people know in case they are experiencing this error with Species:

ERROR Species Error: Message: NameError: global name 'shutil' is not defined

You simply need to download and install the new 1.6.1 release which fixes the shutil issue people were having with 1.6

Although they're down to only a few a day, we're still getting bug reports of this specific error and just wanted let any users who might not be on our mailing list know about the fix.

Thanks!