[ICE] Color per strand in viewport

Ahmidou Lyazidi

Mar 3, 2009, 2:33:25 PM3/3/09
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Hi
Is it possible? my strqnds only inherit the particles color

Thanks
A.

Grahame Fuller

Mar 3, 2009, 2:37:43 PM3/3/09
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Set the StrandColor attribute (array of colors per point, size of array must match size of StrandPosition). It doesn't appear in the list of attributes when exploring, but it's understood and used by certain shaders.

gray

winmail.dat

Ahmidou Lyazidi

Mar 3, 2009, 3:06:46 PM3/3/09
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Hi Grahame
I can give a color to the strands but it's only working in render not in viewport that's what I'm after
Also if I try to change a specific strand's color with a set in array node, it's not working either.

Regards
A.

Ahmidou Lyazidi

Mar 3, 2009, 3:26:54 PM3/3/09
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
"Also if I try to change a specific strand's color with a set in array node, it's not working either."

Grahame Fuller

Mar 3, 2009, 4:18:59 PM3/3/09
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Sorry, I thought you meant the render region. Displaying StrandColor in the OGL view modes would be a feature request, I believe.

For the other part, how are you setting up the ICE tree and what shaders are you using?

gray

2009/3/3 Grahame Fuller <Grahame...@autodesk.com<mailto:Grahame...@autodesk.com>>

Set the StrandColor attribute (array of colors per point, size of array must match size of StrandPosition). It doesn't appear in the list of attributes when exploring, but it's understood and used by certain shaders.

gray

winmail.dat

Ahmidou Lyazidi

Mar 3, 2009, 4:52:28 PM3/3/09
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
I'm at home now, bu It look like this:

MyStrandCount>-- new array from constant>--setInArray>--StrandColor
             color_/                             color_/

For the viewport display I'll do a feature request, what is the new channel to do that?
Thanks Grahame

Ahmidou.

Grahame Fuller

Mar 4, 2009, 11:15:24 AM3/4/09
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
You can send both bugs and requests to Support....@autodesk.com<mailto:Support....@autodesk.com>.

If you are on subscription, there's also supposed to be a form in the Subscription Center.

gray

2009/3/3 Ahmidou Lyazidi <ahmid...@gmail.com<mailto:ahmid...@gmail.com><mailto:ahmid...@gmail.com<mailto:ahmid...@gmail.com>>>

2009/3/3 Grahame Fuller <Grahame...@autodesk.com<mailto:Grahame...@autodesk.com><mailto:Grahame...@autodesk.com<mailto:Grahame...@autodesk.com>>>

Set the StrandColor attribute (array of colors per point, size of array must match size of StrandPosition). It doesn't appear in the list of attributes when exploring, but it's understood and used by certain shaders.

gray
Mar 4, 2009, 1:04:08 PM3/4/09
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
It works here.
Are you trying to control a whole strand or just a segment of the strand?
Using set in array should be reserved for altering color per strand segment since strand color is a per point array.
Filter by point ID if you want to control a whole strand at a time.
Also, make sure you use segment or blob as the particle shape as they are the only shapes that seem to respond to the strand color when rendering.
If that's a bug or by design, I don't know...

Ciaran

Ahmidou Lyazidi

Mar 4, 2009, 1:13:05 PM3/4/09
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
I want to control just a segment, I forgot to say that I'm using the stranddeform option, this could be the problem

Helge Mathee

Mar 4, 2009, 1:22:03 PM3/4/09
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Hey folks,

I would like to announce a new free plugin for XSI 7.01 resp. Autodesk Softimage 7.5.

It is an addon for simulating strands and much, much more. Basically it contains this:

1. a new custom icenode called "mt_strandFitting" which allows to reproject / refit a strand onto another one.
You can use it for all sorts of things, such as refitting a curve or simply reprojecting a strand onto itself while maintaining
length.

2. a new geometry generator to create a mesh out of strands (cool!)
with this you can create procedural geometry, such as a woven basket for example.

3. a couple of compounds for creating strand effects.
creating curling strands (strands curling around other strands), using strands as guides
for other strands etc etc..

4. a project with sample scenes how to use this stuff...

find it here:

http://217.160.138.15/helge/mt_strandNodes.xsiaddon.zip

btw this is for windows only, 32 and 64 bit.
if I get to it I will compile for linux as well. but I am quite busy so this might take a little while.

here are a couple of example images:

http://217.160.138.15/helge/mt_strandNodes_01.jpg
http://217.160.138.15/helge/mt_strandNodes_02.jpg
http://217.160.138.15/helge/mt_strandNodes_03.jpg
http://217.160.138.15/helge/mt_strandNodes_04.jpg
http://217.160.138.15/helge/mt_strandNodes_05.jpg

enjoy!

and let me know if you come up with good usecases in some of your projects!

regards,
(still with the community :-) )

Helge

winmail.dat

Gene Crucean

Mar 4, 2009, 1:25:15 PM3/4/09
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Woa!
--
Gene Crucean
** Freelance for hire **

Main email: genecrucean [at] gmail [dot] com

Lukasz Przybytek

Mar 4, 2009, 1:28:26 PM3/4/09
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
This looks absolutely fantastic! Will definitely have a look inside
the plugin.
Is it possible to animate other objects/instances along the
strands? :P Plenty of ideas inside my head already!

> <winmail.dat>

Helge Mathee

Mar 4, 2009, 1:42:39 PM3/4/09
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
thanks. well - that's pretty much the "only" thing that doesn't work.

that is quite cpu intensive, therefore I chose not to implement it.
There's still room for others to develop stuff that way. :)

winmail.dat

Rob Wuijster

Mar 4, 2009, 1:47:26 PM3/4/09
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
To beat Steven to it:

woot!!!!! :-D

Rob

Ciaran Moloney

Mar 4, 2009, 2:01:18 PM3/4/09
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
As far as I can tell, per segment color only works with segment or blob particle shapes, regardless of whether stranddeform is on or not.

Lukasz Przybytek

Mar 4, 2009, 2:02:34 PM3/4/09
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
awww... pity ;)

> <winmail.dat>

Ciaran Moloney

Mar 4, 2009, 3:25:05 PM3/4/09
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Hi Helge,
great stuff and thanks for the free plug-in!
Would you consider supporting motion blur on the geometry op? Perhaps it would be possible to pass particle velocities to user data on the newly added geometry? Right now, growing meshes don't seem to get any motion vectors.

Thanks again,
Ciaran

Adam Sale

Mar 4, 2009, 3:54:57 PM3/4/09
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
great tool. Thanks Helge

Steven Caron

Mar 4, 2009, 9:18:09 PM3/4/09
to ro...@casema.nl, soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
i am sick today and didn't answer any emails until now... so, ya... what rob said.

@helge

source available? ;)

On Wed, Mar 4, 2009 at 10:47 AM, Rob Wuijster <ro...@casema.nl> wrote:
To beat Steven to it:

woot!!!!! :-D

Rob

Maerz, Marcel

Mar 5, 2009, 4:27:12 AM3/5/09
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com

Hi Helge,

I just had a look in your sample scenes and the nodes.

Looks again like a very useful toolset for me.

Thanks a lot for sharing!

Cheers,

Marcel

Michal Doniec

Mar 5, 2009, 5:12:19 AM3/5/09
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Thank you very much Helge, as usual, very useful stuff!