ICE Topo Clone from group of objects onto Particles?

Eric Thivierge

Mar 28, 2013, 6:03:22 PM3/28/13
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Trying to clone a group of meshes and place them at particle positions from a cloud using ICE Topo. Is there a way to get any of the built in compounds to do this? Not seeing any compounds or sample scenes doing this.

So to review I have 5 meshes in a group and a particle cloud. I want to randomly get a mesh out of the group and stick it where a particle is.

Eric Thivierge
http://www.ethivierge.com

Daryl Dunlap

Mar 28, 2013, 6:09:04 PM3/28/13
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com

Eric Thivierge

Mar 28, 2013, 6:29:43 PM3/28/13
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com

Thanks but I need it as actual geometry using ice topology

Grahame Fuller

Mar 28, 2013, 6:46:41 PM3/28/13
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Do these compounds help? I've posted before but for some reason the attachments don't seem to make it into the archives.

They were designed to copy particle instances to real topology, but obviously you don't actually need instances but just an integer for the object index in the group.

Usage notes:

To use, put Convert Instances to Mesh in an ICE tree on an empty mesh. It works only with the "self" object. You also need to store the shape index on the point cloud and reference it in the compound's ppg. To transfer attributes, attach one of the Transfer compounds to the Execute port - there's one for each component type.

If you transfer the MaterialIDs, then you can use the Copy Materials checkbox. This works only if all objects in the group have identical Materials arrays.

The transfer is based on finding locations on the group geometry, so it's best to move the instance masters apart if they overlap.

It uses the 2013 version of Build Array from Set which supports topology-type attributes. To use it with Softimage v2012, you'll need to replace it with Build Array from Per Point Data.

gray

Thanks but I need it as actual geometry using ice topology
Instances to Mesh.zip

Eric Thivierge

Mar 28, 2013, 8:22:54 PM3/28/13
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
I'll give it a whirl Graham thanks.

Eric Thivierge
http://www.ethivierge.com

Vincent Ullmann

Mar 28, 2013, 8:40:47 PM3/28/13
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Cant see any Compounds ;-/

here is a Solution i tried some time ago
alternative_ShapeArray.JPG
Particles_to_Geo.JPG

Eric Thivierge

Mar 28, 2013, 9:54:46 PM3/28/13
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Vincent that Particles_To_Geo seems like it's what I'm looking for! Thanks!

Eric Thivierge
http://www.ethivierge.com

Alan Fregtman

Mar 28, 2013, 11:27:16 PM3/28/13
to XSI Mailing List
You can make arrays of geometries and find inside them?? Nice! Great tip.

Stephen Blair

Mar 29, 2013, 7:32:55 AM3/29/13
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Hi Gray
I don't see any attachments.
This happened last time you posted a screenshot too. I couldn't find the
attachments

Dan Yargici

Ahmidou Lyazidi

Mar 29, 2013, 6:39:31 PM3/29/13
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
I can see the attachment too!

Ahmidou Lyazidi
Director | TD | CG artist
http://vimeo.com/ahmidou/videos

Vincent Ullmann

Mar 30, 2013, 6:35:51 AM3/30/13
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
In Thunderbird i cant see any attatchments, what is quite annoying... becouse thats my usual email-checking tool.
Wenn i view the mails via mail.google.com i see these attatchments.

Byungchul Kang

Apr 1, 2013, 1:27:11 AM4/1/13
to Softimage Mailing List
Thanks Vincent!
Here.. modified Ice graph.. how about it?
but It is too slow why CPU usage around 15%. How can i use CPU Fully?

2013/3/30 Vincent Ullmann <vincent...@googlemail.com>

--
Byungchul Kang | MBC CG TEAM [http://imbc.com]
http://cgndev.com

Guillaume Laforge

Apr 1, 2013, 9:49:05 AM4/1/13
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
How can i use CPU Fully?

You can't :). When building one mesh, it is very hard to use all your CPU resources. ICE Array nodes (like Build Array from Set or Merge Topo Array) will use one CPU core most of the time (same for the classic merge mesh operator). Maybe there are some faster ways to do this instance to mesh conversion, but not by generating one final mesh.
For example, for N instance shapes, we could generate N meshes. Those meshes would merge shapes using the same topology. Or we could generate one mesh from every particles. This is the perfect scenario for parallel computing :). Unfortunately we can't do such thing from ICE (generating new 3D objects) and creating tones of objects in the scene could slow down interaction a lot...
For info, Creation Platform use the concept of slices per Nodes, where we you can abstract several similar operations into one single node. This is how geometries can be generated so quickly for apps like Flora, Stage or Horde. Such feature in ICE would help a lot ! When I was working on ICE Topology and CrowdFX, I asked several times for the possibility to "unlock the ICE context". For example, being able to do polygon mesh operations not per particle (it would be nice also) but per custom context. For the Instance to Mesh operation, you could create a custom context based on the number of instance shapes and ICE would process each "instance shape clusters" in parallel. I didn't have the skills to implement such feature on an little program like Softimage :), but it would be a nice (and big) feature for sure!

Guillaume Laforge

Grahame Fuller

Apr 2, 2013, 12:25:11 PM4/2/13
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
For those who can't see the attachments (and everybody else for that matter), I've uploaded them to si-community:

http://www.si-community.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=3588

gray

Wenn i view the mails via mail.google.com<http://mail.google.com> i see these attatchments.

Am 29.03.2013 23:39, schrieb Ahmidou Lyazidi:
I can see the attachment too!

Ahmidou Lyazidi
Director | TD | CG artist
http://vimeo.com/ahmidou/videos

2013/3/29 Dan Yargici <danya...@gmail.com<mailto:danya...@gmail.com>>
I can see them (Gmail)

DAN

On Fri, Mar 29, 2013 at 1:32 PM, Stephen Blair <stephe...@gmail.com<mailto:stephe...@gmail.com>> wrote:
[...]

winmail.dat

Grahame Fuller

Apr 2, 2013, 6:10:58 PM4/2/13
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
P.S. @ Byungchul

One thing you can do to speed it up a bit in your case is to transform the topologies before you build an array from the set.

gray