xdotool mousemove doesn't seem to work in NoMachine NX

Harald Milz

Feb 29, 2012, 9:50:33 AM2/29/12
to xdotool-users
Hi guys,

I am trying to automate a load test running within a NoMachine NX
session, i.e. load testing the NX server / node. All xdotool commands
seem to work, only mousemove does not seem to have any apparent
effect. The mouse pointer just stays where it is. Using --sync,
xdotool will wait for a while, then time out eventually, and that was
it.

What am I looking for?

(BTW the very same appears to happen within a KVM-qemu console
window...)

TIA

Harald Milz

Mar 1, 2012, 7:58:46 AM3/1/12
to xdotool-users
Following up myself, I got a message from NoMachine that in the latest
nxagent versions, cursor warp was deactivated (http://
www.nomachine.com/ar/view.php?ar_id=AR02J00622). IANAExpert but this
seems unrelated to me, since I don't intend to warp / wrap cursor but
just move the pointer from, say 100/200 to 234/456.

Any idea what they are telling me?

THX a bunch !

Jordan Sissel

Mar 1, 2012, 2:26:09 PM3/1/12
to h...@seneca.muc.de, xdotool-users
On Thu, Mar 1, 2012 at 4:58 AM, Harald Milz <h...@seneca.muc.de> wrote:
Following up myself, I got a message from NoMachine that in the latest
nxagent versions, cursor warp was deactivated (http://
www.nomachine.com/ar/view.php?ar_id=AR02J00622). IANAExpert but this
seems unrelated to me, since I don't intend to warp / wrap cursor but
just move the pointer from, say 100/200 to 234/456.

Any idea what they are telling me?

THX a bunch !

"Warp" is the term for moving the mouse cursor. If warping is disabled, I don't know of a way to move the cursor. You might follow up with them to see if NoMachine supports XTEST, and if so, I can update xdotool to use that instead of warp.

-Jordan

On 29 Feb., 15:50, Harald Milz <h...@seneca.muc.de> wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> I am trying to automate a load test running within a NoMachine NX
> session, i.e. load testing the NX server / node. All xdotool commands
> seem to work, only mousemove does not seem to have any apparent
> effect. The mouse pointer just stays where it is. Using --sync,
> xdotool will wait for a while, then time out eventually, and that was
> it.
>
> What am I looking for?
>
> (BTW the very same appears to happen within a KVM-qemu console
> window...)
>
> TIA

Jordan Sissel

Mar 1, 2012, 5:35:27 PM3/1/12
to Harald Milz, h...@seneca.muc.de, xdotool-users

On Thu, Mar 1, 2012 at 2:24 PM, Harald Milz <h...@seneca-muc.de> wrote:
On Thu, Mar 01, 2012 at 11:26:09AM -0800, Jordan Sissel wrote:
> "Warp" is the term for moving the mouse cursor. If warping is disabled, I
> don't know of a way to move the cursor. You might follow up with them to
> see if NoMachine supports XTEST, and if so, I can update xdotool to use
> that instead of warp.

It does! So if xdotool could use XTEST if it notices that other methods don't
work that would be nifty!

Ciao,
Harald

Ok I'll work on a patch that makes it use XTEST to move the mouse instead of XWarpPointer :)

-Jordan

Harald Milz

Mar 1, 2012, 5:24:07 PM3/1/12
to Jordan Sissel, h...@seneca.muc.de, xdotool-users

--
Die Geschichte lehrt dauernd, aber sie findet keine Schüler.
-- Ingeborg Bachmann