Catseye Fractal formula

Kathy R

Aug 10, 2017, 10:30:02 AM8/10/17
to xaos-users
Does anyone happen to know the actual formula for the Catseye?  It is a very intriguing fractal to play with and by changing the bailout value and experimenting with the different fractal planes, it has the potential of producing beautiful spirals, flowers and everything in-between.  I don't see much documentation on it anywhere and I would very much like to try and recreate it in other fractal programs.  So far it seems like a mystery and to me it's more like a hidden gem.

Thanks for any feedback.

Kovács Zoltán

Aug 13, 2017, 2:05:46 AM8/13/17
to xaos-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Kathy,

thank you for your email. It seems to be answered meanwhile at http://www.ultrafractal.com/forum/index.php?u=/topic/313/catseye-fractal. A quick answer from my side that you can find the formula at

between lines 948-973. The code is a bit difficult to read, you need to understand the role of zre, zim and other variables for a complete overview. Do you need more explanation?

The formula has been found and implemented by Arpad Fekete. Please write to me directly if you want to contact him.

Best,
Zoltan

Does anyone happen to know the actual formula for the Catseye?  It is a very intriguing fractal to play with and by changing the bailout value and experimenting with the different fractal planes, it has the potential of producing beautiful spirals, flowers and everything in-between.  I don't see much documentation on it anywhere and I would very much like to try and recreate it in other fractal programs.  So far it seems like a mystery and to me it's more like a hidden gem.

Thanks for any feedback.

Kathy R

Aug 14, 2017, 9:12:31 PM8/14/17
to xaos-users
Thank you very much, Zoltan, for your response, I value your input.  I love the XaoS fractal program because it is so fast, fun and easy to use.  I highly recommend it to other fractal newbies like me.  The Catseye formula really caught my attention as it is captivating with so many wonderful opportunities when playing with bailout values and different fractal planes.  It is a gem to work with, kudos to Arpad!

Thanks again for your help,
Kathy