Having trouble with the high resolution Rendering process

Kathy R

Feb 15, 2017, 10:30:16 AM2/15/17
to xaos-users
I really love Xaos for its simplicity and fun with the zooming capability.  I am new to the world of fractals and this software is great for a newbie like me.  It's unfortunate that the rendering process is complicated and doesn't seem like top priority.  I need to make high res quality prints of my work and to have to use the Render animation option doesn't make sense.  I am not interested whatsoever in making an animation file.  In Ultra Fractal the rendering process is very simple and straightforward.  You click on Fractal and Render to disk.  It doesn't get any easier than that, plus the fact I can see on screen exactly what I am getting.  When I render in Xaos it doesn't work on the file that's currently on screen.  And after completing the rendering my image is truncated on the sides, not at all like it looks in the xpf file.

Please, can the developers come up with a more direct system for saving our work in the desired resolution and size.  I know it has been addressed before in this forum but I don't see any improvements in the version of Xaos that I have.  I really wish to continue using this software but it doesn't serve me to save only digital, low-res files.

J.B. Langston

Jan 5, 2020, 1:06:44 PM1/5/20
to xaos-users
Hi Kathy,

I understand your frustration and this is a much requested feature.  Unfortunately there are only two of us working on XaoS on a volunteer basis and there are some challenges with the codebase that makes adding new features more difficult than it could be.  I have written up some details here: https://github.com/xaos-project/XaoS/wiki/Developer's-Guide#historical-perspective.  It's probably more detail than you wanted to know but it does explain why we can't add these features easily, and the progress we're making towards fixing this in the future.

I got involved with XaoS from 2006 to 2014 then took a 5 year hiatus. Last year I started working on it again in May, then again recently after a 6 month break.  We are on the verge of releasing 4.0 and I think it will be a big milestone and lay the groundwork for a lot of user-visible improvements in the future.

Thanks for your patience, and your kind words about XaoS.

- J.B.

Kathy R

Jan 7, 2020, 10:40:53 AM1/7/20
to xaos-users
Hello J.B.,
What a pleasure it is to hear from you after all this time!  I congratulate you on your endeavors and am so thrilled to hear that XaoS is not going anywhere but forward into the future with improvements and updates.  Do you realize that The Fractal Foundation in Albuquerque, New Mexico features XaoS exclusively as its go-to fractal program? (https://fractalfoundation.org/)  It is my dream one day to travel out there to meet those people who devote so much time and effort to the amazing world of fractals.

I have overcome many initial problems with XaoS and can render my designs just fine.  It took a lot of experimenting and determination to get what I wanted but I persisted and am so glad I did.  The trick is to get the software screen just the right size, save the image then call it up in the render dialogue box with the desired proportions.  And if the image is cut off or not centered correctly then you just resize and try again.  Like I said before it's not the most clear-cut process but it works and I find myself going back to XaoS again and again to feed my creative needs.  The palette colors are so vivid and beautiful.  I imitate them in gradients to use in other applications.  If I ever succeed in starting up a fractal class in my town I would most definitely choose XaoS as the software to use because of its simplicity and infinite potential.

Best to you and I just found the video you made last May on YouTube, very well done.

Regards,
Kathy

J.B. Langston

Jan 17, 2020, 7:51:11 PM1/17/20
to xaos-users
What a pleasure it is to hear from you after all this time!  I congratulate you on your endeavors and am so thrilled to hear that XaoS is not going anywhere but forward into the future with improvements and updates.

Thanks for the encouragement.  It helps keep me motivated to hear from people that enjoy using XaoS.

Do you realize that The Fractal Foundation in Albuquerque, New Mexico features XaoS exclusively as its go-to fractal program? (https://fractalfoundation.org/)  It is my dream one day to travel out there to meet those people who devote so much time and effort to the amazing world of fractals.

Yes, actually I talked to its founder Jonathan Wolfe many years ago and reconnected with him just today via email.  He is very excited about the new version of XaoS.

I have overcome many initial problems with XaoS and can render my designs just fine.  It took a lot of experimenting and determination to get what I wanted but I persisted and am so glad I did.  The trick is to get the software screen just the right size, save the image then call it up in the render dialogue box with the desired proportions.  And if the image is cut off or not centered correctly then you just resize and try again.  Like I said before it's not the most clear-cut process but it works and I find myself going back to XaoS again and again to feed my creative needs.  The palette colors are so vivid and beautiful.  I imitate them in gradients to use in other applications.  If I ever succeed in starting up a fractal class in my town I would most definitely choose XaoS as the software to use because of its simplicity and infinite potential.

I have some ideas for making it possible to customize palettes, save them, and recall your favorites. It will be sometime after 4.0 is released, but it is definitely on my radar.

Best to you and I just found the video you made last May on YouTube, very well done.

Thanks, hopefully more to come. If you make any videos, or even stills, of your own, I would love it if you let us know about them.

Kathy R

Jan 20, 2020, 11:16:03 AM1/20/20
to xaos-users
That's really awesome that you're in contact with Jonathan Wolfe, I have great admiration for that organization and the people.

Here are some links to my work on DeviantArt:

A really nice gallery of XaoS images on DA is found here in the group XtremeFractals (maya49m is by far my favorite XaoS artist. She knows her stuff with this software! She also makes a lot of very nice kaleidoscope images, an issue I addressed here on the forum.  It would be great if in the future this could be a filter.)

J.B. Langston

Jan 26, 2020, 10:16:30 PM1/26/20
to xaos-users
Nice! If you would like to include any of your examples in XaoS, create a GitHub issue and attach the xpf files: https://github.com/xaos-project/XaoS/issues. We will include them and credit you.  (Note that any examples we include in XaoS would fall under GPL, meaning others can copy and produce derivative works).