New OSX installers for wxPython Classic

Robin Dunn

Sep 15, 2016, 11:37:56 PM9/15/16
to wxPython-users, wxpyth...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

Yes, I know that most of you said something like "Finally!!!" upon
reading the subject of this message, but better late than never, right?

You can get a test DMG containing the new Installer package at
https://wxpython.org/snapshots/. It is still not signed, so you'll
still need to enable "Allow apps downloaded from Anywhere" in your
security preferences, but it should install on any OSX since 10.6, and
will work with either Apple's Python 2.7 or a Python 2.7 installed from
python.org. Only the new runtime installer is in that DMG, the docs and
demos DMG has not been rebuilt, but getting those from the source or
elsewhere is really easy.

The version of wxWidgets used is the same as what I'm currently using
for Phoenix development, so technically it is a 3.0.3 prerelease
snapshot, however it seems to be very solid and stable so there
shouldn't be any worries about that. Plus it has some good bug fixes
since the 3.0.2 release so that is a good enough reason to use this
version as far as I'm concerned.

If there are any issues with this build specifically (that don't seem to
be general wx or wxPython issues) please report them as new issues at
https://github.com/wxWidgets/wxPython. If you're interested in the
changes made to switch to this package format and a few other
enhancements, you can see those in this PR:
https://github.com/wxWidgets/wxPython/pull/6.

Finally, I'd like to acknowledge the assistance of a 2nd generation
wxPython developer (think about that for a minute!) with this task.
Samuel is pretty busy with his own projects and things, but hopefully he
will continue to help out here now and then.

--
Robin Dunn
Software Craftsman