Printing single (not first) page doesn't work

Gerald Brandt

Dec 5, 2018, 1:50:16 PM12/5/18
to wx-u...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Just checking if it's just me, or anyone else sees this issue. Compile
the printing sample, select print preview. Tell it to only print page 2.
Either print or print preview again. Nothing prints.

I found this in my own code, and ran the printing sample to see if it
was there as well, and it is. Basically,  OnPrintPage() never gets called.

wxWidgets 3.0 branch

GTK2 (GTK3 not tested)

wxWidgets Trunk

GTK2and  GTK3

wxWidgets trunk Windows works (in my app, didn't try the printing sample
there)

Gerald

Vadim Zeitlin

Dec 6, 2018, 1:42:09 PM12/6/18
to wx-u...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, 5 Dec 2018 12:50:12 -0600 Gerald Brandt wrote:

GB> Just checking if it's just me, or anyone else sees this issue. Compile
GB> the printing sample, select print preview. Tell it to only print page 2.
GB> Either print or print preview again. Nothing prints.

Unless I misunderstand what do you mean by "tell it to only print page 2",
it seems it's just you -- or, at the very least, not me. Here is what I
did, exactly:

0. Built the printing sample with MSVS 2017 using the latest master.
1. Opened "File|Print" dialog.
2. Selected "2" in the text control near the "Pages" radio button.
3. Pressed "OK" and obtained the second page on output (I used PDF printer,
but I really don't think it would have been different with a real one).

Can you reproduce the problem using the same steps? If not, what do you do
differently?

Regards,
VZ

http://www.tt-solutions.com/

Gerald Brandt

Dec 6, 2018, 1:52:05 PM12/6/18
to wx-u...@googlegroups.com
0. Built the printing sample with MSVS 2017 using the (not quite the)
latest master

1. Open File -> Print Preview

2. Select Print Pages and enter 2

3. press print.  Nothing prints.

Gerald

Vadim Zeitlin

Dec 6, 2018, 1:56:10 PM12/6/18
to wx-u...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, 6 Dec 2018 12:52:02 -0600 Gerald Brandt wrote:

GB> 0. Built the printing sample with MSVS 2017 using the (not quite the)
GB> latest master

FWIW I don't think there were any changes in this area recently.

GB> 1. Open File -> Print Preview
GB>
GB> 2. Select Print Pages and enter 2

Do you mean "click on the "Print" icon in the upper left corner and enter
2 in the dialog which opens (which is the same dialog which is shown when
you use "File|Print") or something else?

GB> 3. press print.  Nothing prints.

If I understood you correctly above, then I still can't reproduce it, I do
get the PDF with the second page.

Gerald Brandt

Dec 6, 2018, 2:52:10 PM12/6/18
to wx-u...@googlegroups.com

On 2018-12-06 12:56 p.m., Vadim Zeitlin wrote:
On Thu, 6 Dec 2018 12:52:02 -0600 Gerald Brandt wrote:

GB> 0. Built the printing sample with MSVS 2017 using the (not quite the)
GB> latest master

 FWIW I don't think there were any changes in this area recently.

GB> 1. Open File -> Print Preview
GB>
GB> 2. Select Print Pages and enter 2

 Do you mean "click on the "Print" icon in the upper left corner and enter
2 in the dialog which opens (which is the same dialog which is shown when
you use "File|Print") or something else?

GB> 3. press print.  Nothing prints.

 If I understood you correctly above, then I still can't reproduce it, I do
get the PDF with the second page.

 Regards,
VZ

Right, sorry. Replied from memory.

  1. File -> Print Preview
  2. Click on Print icon
  3. Under Range, select pages and enter 2
  4. click print

When I choose to print to file (pdf), I get pages 1 and 2, not just 2.

When I choose print to printer, I get nothing.

This is now under 3.0 branch, since I rolled back to see if some of my issues were from using trunk.

Gerald

Vadim Zeitlin

Dec 6, 2018, 2:54:31 PM12/6/18
to wx-u...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, 6 Dec 2018 13:52:07 -0600 Gerald Brandt wrote:

GB> Right, sorry. Replied from memory.
GB>
GB> 1. File -> Print Preview
GB> 2. Click on Print icon
GB> 3. Under Range, select pages and enter 2
GB> 4. click print
GB>
GB> When I choose to print to file (pdf), I get pages 1 and 2, not just 2.
GB>
GB> When I choose print to printer, I get nothing.
GB>
GB> This is now under 3.0 branch, since I rolled back to see if some of my
GB> issues were from using trunk.

Sorry, I don't have a build of 3.0, so I can't test this easily right now.
In any case, I understand that you're also seeing it in master, so it
doesn't seem to be related to the difference between the 2 branches.
Unfortunately I have no idea what could it be due to, to be honest, sorry.

Gerald Brandt

Dec 6, 2018, 2:54:40 PM12/6/18
to wx-u...@googlegroups.com

In fact, instead of print, just click print preview from there, and nothing shows up.

Gerald

Vadim Zeitlin

Dec 6, 2018, 2:57:42 PM12/6/18
to wx-u...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, 6 Dec 2018 13:54:36 -0600 Gerald Brandt wrote:

GB> In fact, instead of print, just click print preview from there, and
GB> nothing shows up.

It looks like you have some non-standard printer driver, I don't have any
preview button in this dialog. Could you perhaps show a screenshot to
explain what do you mean?

Gerald Brandt

Dec 6, 2018, 3:09:01 PM12/6/18
to wx-u...@googlegroups.com

On 2018-12-06 1:57 p.m., Vadim Zeitlin wrote:
On Thu, 6 Dec 2018 13:54:36 -0600 Gerald Brandt wrote:

GB> In fact, instead of print, just click print preview from there, and
GB> nothing shows up.

 It looks like you have some non-standard printer driver, I don't have any
preview button in this dialog. Could you perhaps show a screenshot to
explain what do you mean?

 Regards,
VZ

Vadim Zeitlin

Dec 6, 2018, 4:40:20 PM12/6/18
to wx-u...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, 6 Dec 2018 14:08:57 -0600 Gerald Brandt wrote:

GB> On Thu, 6 Dec 2018 13:54:36 -0600 Gerald Brandt wrote:
GB> GB> In fact, instead of print, just click print preview from there, and
GB> GB> nothing shows up.
GB> It looks like you have some non-standard printer driver, I don't have any
GB> preview button in this dialog. Could you perhaps show a screenshot to
GB> explain what do you mean?

Sorry, I am confused. You were speaking about using MSVS, but this is
Linux. I've only tested under MSW, I can test under Linux later, but, just
to be clear, do you see this problem *only* under Linux?

Gerald Brandt

Dec 6, 2018, 4:46:23 PM12/6/18
to wx-u...@googlegroups.com

On 2018-12-06 3:40 p.m., Vadim Zeitlin wrote:
> On Thu, 6 Dec 2018 14:08:57 -0600 Gerald Brandt wrote:
>
> GB> On Thu, 6 Dec 2018 13:54:36 -0600 Gerald Brandt wrote:
> GB> GB> In fact, instead of print, just click print preview from there, and
> GB> GB> nothing shows up.
> GB> It looks like you have some non-standard printer driver, I don't have any
> GB> preview button in this dialog. Could you perhaps show a screenshot to
> GB> explain what do you mean?
>
> Sorry, I am confused. You were speaking about using MSVS, but this is
> Linux. I've only tested under MSW, I can test under Linux later, but, just
> to be clear, do you see this problem *only* under Linux?
>
> Regards,
> VZ

I think you're confusing the couple of issues I have. This one is Linux
specific (as mentioned in the first email... I double checked to make
sure I didn't forget), the other (loss of EVT_CHAR) is Windows specific.

Gerald

Vadim Zeitlin

Dec 6, 2018, 4:50:42 PM12/6/18
to wx-u...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, 6 Dec 2018 15:46:21 -0600 Gerald Brandt wrote:

GB> I think you're confusing the couple of issues I have. This one is Linux
GB> specific (as mentioned in the first email... I double checked to make
GB> sure I didn't forget), the other (loss of EVT_CHAR) is Windows specific.

I did confuse them, but -- I also double checked to ensure that I'm not
inventing things -- I had some help as you did write that you saw this when
using MSVS build in a recent message

https://groups.google.com/d/msg/wx-users/_jSz0sBsuNs/0oyOPfauBQAJ

Anyhow, I'm afraid I won't have time to debug this under Linux before
3.1.2, please open a ticket for it in wxTrac so that we at least don't
forget about it later.

Gerald Brandt

Dec 6, 2018, 4:52:24 PM12/6/18
to wx-u...@googlegroups.com

On 2018-12-06 3:50 p.m., Vadim Zeitlin wrote:
> On Thu, 6 Dec 2018 15:46:21 -0600 Gerald Brandt wrote:
>
> GB> I think you're confusing the couple of issues I have. This one is Linux
> GB> specific (as mentioned in the first email... I double checked to make
> GB> sure I didn't forget), the other (loss of EVT_CHAR) is Windows specific.
>
> I did confuse them, but -- I also double checked to ensure that I'm not
> inventing things -- I had some help as you did write that you saw this when
> using MSVS build in a recent message
>
> https://groups.google.com/d/msg/wx-users/_jSz0sBsuNs/0oyOPfauBQAJ
>
> Anyhow, I'm afraid I won't have time to debug this under Linux before
> 3.1.2, please open a ticket for it in wxTrac so that we at least don't
> forget about it later.
>
> Regards,
> VZ

:-)

I have been know to confuse things in the past.

Gerald

Scott Talbert

Dec 6, 2018, 7:08:56 PM12/6/18
to wx-u...@googlegroups.com
I can reproduce this issue as well (GTK3, 3.0 branch).

Scott

Igor Korot

Dec 6, 2018, 8:08:43 PM12/6/18
to wx-u...@googlegroups.com
Hi, Gerald,
Whats your exact GTK+ version?
What's you version of CUPS?
Did you try GTK+2 as well? Same CUPS version?

Thank you.

> I can reproduce this issue as well (GTK3, 3.0 branch).
>
> Scott
>
> --
> Please read http://www.wxwidgets.org/support/mlhowto.htm before posting.

Scott Talbert

Dec 6, 2018, 8:54:04 PM12/6/18
to wx-u...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, 6 Dec 2018, Igor Korot wrote:

>>> Hi,
>>>

>>> Just checking if it's just me, or anyone else sees this issue. Compile the
>>> printing sample, select print preview. Tell it to only print page 2. Either
>>> print or print preview again. Nothing prints.
>>>
>>> I found this in my own code, and ran the printing sample to see if it was
>>> there as well, and it is. Basically, OnPrintPage() never gets called.
>>>

>>> wxWidgets 3.0 branch
>>>
>>> GTK2 (GTK3 not tested)
>>>

>>> wxWidgets Trunk
>>>
>>> GTK2and GTK3
>>>

>>> wxWidgets trunk Windows works (in my app, didn't try the printing sample
>>> there)
>
> Whats your exact GTK+ version?
> What's you version of CUPS?
> Did you try GTK+2 as well? Same CUPS version?

No need, Igor. I see the problem.

Igor Korot

Dec 6, 2018, 10:35:33 PM12/6/18
to wx-u...@googlegroups.com
Hi, Scott,
Are you sure you don't have the same version?
The probability of this to happen is not 0. ;)

Thank you.