Progress indicator in Windows task bar button?

Marian 'VooDooMan' Meravy

Feb 28, 2014, 11:22:34 AM2/28/14
to wx-...@googlegroups.com
Greetings,

I'd like to have progress indicator in my application in task bar button
of win 8.1 like MSVC 2012 installation have (green background filling
the task bar button in progress). Is it possible to implement it via
wxWidgets?

best,
vdm
.

signature.asc

Vadim Zeitlin

Feb 28, 2014, 5:35:48 PM2/28/14
to wx-...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, 28 Feb 2014 17:22:34 +0100 Marian 'VooDooMan' Meravy wrote:

MVM> I'd like to have progress indicator in my application in task bar button
MVM> of win 8.1 like MSVC 2012 installation have (green background filling
MVM> the task bar button in progress). Is it possible to implement it via
MVM> wxWidgets?

No, this is not supported. But it's one of the tasks proposed for GSoC
2014, so perhaps it's going to be implemented soon.

Regards,
VZ

David Connet

Mar 1, 2014, 12:25:10 AM3/1/14
to wx-...@googlegroups.com
It's not too difficult. Check out what I did in http://sourceforge.net/p/agilitybook/code/HEAD/tree/trunk/AgilityBook/src/Win/TaskbarProgress.cpp (which is used in DlgProgress)

Dave

Marian 'VooDooMan' Meravy

Mar 1, 2014, 4:27:41 PM3/1/14
to wx-...@googlegroups.com
Thank you very much, I will give it a try!

PS: shouldn't this included in wxWidgets when platform is Windows and >=
Vista?

best,
vdm
.
signature.asc

David Connet

Mar 1, 2014, 11:50:02 PM3/1/14
to wx-...@googlegroups.com
Being this is a very Windows-centric thing (can other platforms even do it?), I would really question whether it should be in a cross platform toolkit...

Dave

Mar 2, 2014, 6:01:27 PM3/2/14
to wx-...@googlegroups.com
OS X 10.8+ has similar functionality (although the API was only made public in the 10.9 SDK).

Vadim Zeitlin

Mar 2, 2014, 6:40:59 PM3/2/14
to wx-...@googlegroups.com
On Sun, 2 Mar 2014 15:01:27 -0800 (PST) Thomas Goyne wrote:

TG> OS X 10.8+ has similar functionality (although the API was only made
TG> public in the 10.9 SDK).

Interesting, would you have more details about it by chance, e.g. links to
the Apple documentation?

TIA,
VZ

Thomas Goyne

Mar 2, 2014, 7:16:18 PM3/2/14
to wx-...@googlegroups.com
https://developer.apple.com/LIBRARY/mac/releasenotes/Foundation/RN-Foundation/index.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/TP30000742-TRANSLATED_CHAPTER_965-10_9Progress is the only official documentation that I'm aware of (the NSProgress docs don't mention any of the OS X-only functionality, although the header has some comments). The short summary is that you create a NSProgress object, set a key in the userInfo dictionary that Finder watches for, then call publish on the NSProgress object, and then any progress reported to the NSProgress object updates the dock progress indicator.

Chromium's implementation (http://src.chromium.org/viewvc/chrome/trunk/src/chrome/browser/download/download_status_updater_mac.mm) is a decent example, although most of the file is hacks to support 10.8.

Vadim Zeitlin

Mar 3, 2014, 9:37:14 AM3/3/14
to wx-...@googlegroups.com
On Sun, 2 Mar 2014 16:16:18 -0800 (PST) Thomas Goyne wrote:

TG> https://developer.apple.com/LIBRARY/mac/releasenotes/Foundation/RN-Foundation/index.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/TP30000742-TRANSLATED_CHAPTER_965-10_9Progress
TG> is the only official documentation that I'm aware of (the NSProgress docs
TG> don't mention any of the OS X-only functionality, although the header has
TG> some comments). The short summary is that you create a NSProgress object,
TG> set a key in the userInfo dictionary that Finder watches for, then call
TG> publish on the NSProgress object, and then any progress reported to the
TG> NSProgress object updates the dock progress indicator.

Thanks, this looks nice and simple (of course, I didn't try to actually
use it yet, so I could be missing something). Our implementation should
definitely be compatible with this API, i.e. allow implementing it using
NSProgress even if this is not done immediately.

I don't have 10.9 anywhere, so I wonder if anybody has a screenshot
showing how does it actually look? Especially how can the progress be
cancelled?

Regards,
VZ

Manolo

Mar 3, 2014, 10:01:17 AM3/3/14
to wx-...@googlegroups.com
El 02/03/2014 5:50, David Connet escribió:
> Being this is a very Windows-centric thing (can other platforms even do it?)

Ubuntu 12 does it.

Regards,
Manolo

Vadim Zeitlin

Mar 3, 2014, 10:05:45 AM3/3/14
to wx-...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, 03 Mar 2014 16:01:17 +0100 Manolo wrote:

M> El 02/03/2014 5:50, David Connet escribió:
M> > Being this is a very Windows-centric thing (can other platforms even do it?)
M>
M> Ubuntu 12 does it.

Any idea how?
VZ

Manolo

Mar 3, 2014, 10:38:36 AM3/3/14
to wx-...@googlegroups.com
Well. Unity Launcher API is really who offers the feature.

OTOH, having, say 20, different icons (with different levels of filling)
and updating the taskbar icon accordingly may be a way of achieving it.

Regards,
Manolo