Java VS.Android :Global Doubt

RamanDeep Singh

Apr 12, 2012, 2:48:40 AM4/12/12
to wncc...@googlegroups.com
Its a Question in the mind of many programmers that ,Out of Java or C++,which is the better programming language to make Good Applications for PCs?
On one side ,Java is safer :Run in a protected virtual machine-The code can be used anywhere,in any OS just by Downloading Java Run Time Environment.;and on another there is C++,low level system facilities-but easy to use,learn and much faster than any other Programming Language.The java is made up on the C++ basis.Java is based on Object Oriented Programming-Also hard to use but also A High Level Languag,where as on c++ we have procedural Programming,Functional Programming,object oriented programming.Can u please tell:-
1.Which is the better programming language in PC app/program making point of view?
2.Which is the better language on the basis of GUI?(Imp. :Some says that Java Being modern will make the PC application graphically much better)
3.Can u make the same program on c++ that is formed in Java  with same graphic-level(as well as GUI)(Though the machine(Java:Virtual Machine,C++(OS Oriented) will be different)
*Adobe System,Google,Autodesk Maya,WMP,Bloomerg all are made on c++ and *ThinkFree,Nasa World Wind etc. are the children of Java.
P.S. : Some people say that Java was not made for making System softwares and application softwares,It was made for dealing with Networking,On the same hand:
IN JAVA,THE LIBRARIES ARE EXTENDING EVERYTIME:GUI PROGRAMMING AND GRAPHICS ARE BEING MODIFIED BUT IN C++ WE HAVE TO USE THIRD PARTY LIBRARIES FOR GRAPHICS AND GUI.
PLEASE DO COMMENT.My main concern is GUI and graphics,as,looks has now become more important than easy use.

Praveen Sampath

Apr 12, 2012, 8:47:10 AM4/12/12
to wncc...@googlegroups.com
Qt is good C++ UI Framework, has a steep learning curve. You can create very professional-looking GUIs using Qt.

--
The website for the club is http://stab-iitb.org/wncc

Ciao,

PRAVEEN SAMPATH
CSE
Sophomore Undergraduate
Indian Institute of Technology, Bombay

RamanDeep Singh

Apr 12, 2012, 8:55:17 AM4/12/12
to wncc...@googlegroups.com
So,which language will u prefer to learn?java or c++

RamanDeep Singh

Apr 12, 2012, 8:58:15 AM4/12/12
to wncc...@googlegroups.com
Qt is only for web-applications.i am saying about the programs and apps that will be run on pc after installing,rather than direct usage through internet.

Pratyush Nalam

Apr 12, 2012, 8:56:34 AM4/12/12
to wncc...@googlegroups.com
Java

Regards
Pratyush Nalam
Founder, ReflectionsPN

Saif Hasan

Apr 12, 2012, 9:15:13 AM4/12/12
to wncc...@googlegroups.com
Its completely depends upon the Application which you want to develop.

Now days python is being widely used even in web servers.
Python is used because its processing time is very less compared to the transfer of webpage. So bottleneck here is transfer of data not processing time. If bottleneck was transfer time then people would have coded entire web server in C for fast processing
Basically its Application constrains and Coding comfort which matters.

Java is widely use because it is very comfortable to code in java and also codes are very easily extensible, also its platform independent.
Even Hadoop Map Reduce framework was also coded in Java which is used for cluster computing by mostly all of the company from Google, Yahoo and more . .

Most probably, we will have one lecture on Distributed computing next semester so that people come to know how does actually extremely big computations happen in industry.

Saif Hasan | Junior Undergraduate | Computer Science & Engineering | IIT Bombay | DAMP Coordinator

RamanDeep Singh

Apr 12, 2012, 9:04:14 AM4/12/12
to wncc...@googlegroups.com
Pratyush?reasons please?

Mayank Meghwanshi

Apr 12, 2012, 9:13:24 AM4/12/12
to wncc...@googlegroups.com
java...
--
Mayank Meghwanshi
1st year B.Tech. Student

RamanDeep Singh

Apr 12, 2012, 9:22:08 AM4/12/12
to wncc...@googlegroups.com
@saif hasan,right.thank you.from my point of view,java has more applications like web applications,mobile applications,computer softwares and applications,now android ,which is based on the same syntax+ easy to learn,use+great GUI platfrom+os independent+more and more!!!

Praveen Sampath

Apr 12, 2012, 9:18:52 AM4/12/12
to wncc...@googlegroups.com
Whoever told you Qt is only for web applications? I made a desktop search engine in Qt. If you have already programmed in C++ (which I am sure you have), Qt should be no problem. Also, with the Qt SDK, you won't have to worry about writing hundreds of lines of GUI code, Qt Creator takes care of that.
Java is easy to learn too, after you've grasped the basics of OOP, and is very well-documented which makes coding a lot easier.
That said, if I had to pick one, it would be Java.

RamanDeep Singh

Apr 12, 2012, 9:30:58 AM4/12/12
to wncc...@googlegroups.com
Ok,thank you praveen for extending my knowledge about GUI-qt :)

Saif Hasan

Apr 12, 2012, 11:41:17 AM4/12/12
to wncc...@googlegroups.com
I believe every langauge has plus point in its own way.

Python is also one of the best evolving language. It has hell lots of libraries ranging from GUI, web applications to extensive mathematical calculations (like one in Matlab). But when it comes to the task of efficiency and other I prefer C/C++ over it . . you have whole control in your hand.

Amol Mandhane

Apr 12, 2012, 11:56:42 AM4/12/12
to wncc...@googlegroups.com
@ above:

There are some python modules which convert a python script into platform specific binaries. These are very much efficient than running python scripts from python interpreter....

The best part is... you can use any python module with it. Be it a webapp or GUI or whatever... that gives python a cutting edge over others.

But as Saif said... with C/C++ you have much more control in your hand..

Regards,
Amol Mandhane | Sophie | Chemie | IITB

Santosh Ananthakrishnan

Apr 12, 2012, 1:51:38 PM4/12/12
to wncc...@googlegroups.com
This sounds like a good time to promote the Boo Project
Boo is essentially C# wrapped with python-like syntax.
Python users should love Boo instantly.
We have to believe in free will. We have no choice.

RamanDeep Singh

Apr 12, 2012, 3:35:43 PM4/12/12
to wncc...@googlegroups.com

@saif hasan Dont u think java give u same efficiency as of java .and tlking abt. Python its a lot advanced.tlking on point of view of devloping softwares as well as going into proffesion in future,java gives u better path.python is vert less in use in enterprises till now.c++ and java cn do all the wrk.we cn import GUI from outside language fr advanced level
Comment plz

Ramandeep Singh
Student,
IIT BOMBAY.

Pritam Baral

Apr 13, 2012, 12:06:21 PM4/13/12
to wncc...@googlegroups.com
Java's novelty and advantage when it was released, (and for a long time after that) was in it's cross-platform VM. Qt takes care of that beautifully.

The other thing the OP mentioned about the JVM (security?) is just a shroud. While it might be a VM, it's in no way protected, jailed of monitored for malicious activity in the most common Java Implementations. The best proof of this (and foolish corporate monopolistic policies :P) I can find is the recent spate of Flashback malware against Apple's Java. Do not confuse the JVM with Android's Dalvik VM, that is one place security is very well implemented, but has nothing to do with Java.

Apart from this, with regard to the OP's points:

1) It's really a matter of choice and comfort. While Java is more widely used by enterprise developers, Qt takes the upper hand in consumer PC apps. (And you have other choices too!)
2) That's one corner where Java sucks bad. Ignoring the myriad of GUI toolkits C++ devs have, Qt's GUI support is very good. Need I say more than this?: Qt Designer!
3) It can be recreated quite easily (again, many thanks to Qt Designer.) You can even use it's .ui files at runtime; no recompilation.

All in all, Java and Qt are both great tools, both awesome in their own way. Why then, can we not have the goodness of both? Presenting .... Qt Jambi !!

Regards,

Chhatoi Pritam Baral

RamanDeep Singh

Apr 14, 2012, 1:30:15 AM4/14/12
to wncc...@googlegroups.com

Awesome qt jumbo!cross platrform!!ok so pritam,using qt fr c++ and on other hand using java,can u reach the same graphic level.i m not tlking abt. Advance level bt fr a person who is programming only frm 2 years.

Ramandeep Singh
Student,
IIT BOMBAY.

Pritam Baral

Apr 14, 2012, 2:35:57 AM4/14/12
to wncc...@googlegroups.com
Pardon me, but it's being difficult to understand your language. What exactly do you mean by "graphic level"?

Regards,

Chhatoi Pritam Baral

RamanDeep Singh

Apr 14, 2012, 8:54:29 AM4/14/12
to wncc...@googlegroups.com
from graphic level i mean can we reach the same standards in graphics(as user see it) as java in c++ by importing libraries from Qt.

Pritam Baral

Apr 15, 2012, 12:22:20 AM4/15/12
to wncc...@googlegroups.com
Absolutely. As I said before Qt is very good for building GUIs. But I'm talking about the C++/Qt part here; having never used Qt/Jambi myself, I can't say how it looks when Qt Jambi is used in combination with Java. However, the difference between Qt/C++ and Qt/Jambi hasn't been mentioned anywhere, so I doubt it would be so bad.

Regards,

Chhatoi Pritam Baral

RamanDeep Singh

Apr 15, 2012, 2:31:48 AM4/15/12
to wncc...@googlegroups.com
We can explore really cool things in Java than c++;and swing as well as netbeans are great for Java.