Suggestions to automate downloading the most current gmt files

Krutik Patel

Sep 15, 2020, 9:05:44 AM9/15/20
to wikipathways-discuss
Hello Wikipathways forum,

This query is a bit specific so I will give a short preamble.

I have developed an R package (TimiRGeN -- final stages of bioconductor review)  that utilises wikipathways to identify microRNAs that may be effecting
signalling pathways.

This package uses rWikipathways, Rcy3, clusterProfiler and a few other
already published bioconductor tools to perform analysis on time series miRNA-mRNA
expression datasets.

Ideally  I'd like to have my tool as up-to-data as possible, however this
is a bit tricky as there is a new wikipathways update every month.
Are there any suggestions as to how to automate downloading the most current,
species specific versions of wikipathway gmt files, without having to change the code
every month?

My current method is to specify the exact gmt to download.

```
                        "wikipathways-20200110-gmt-Mus_musculus.gmt",
                        sep = ""),
                        "mus.gmt")
```

This leads onto my second query. If I cannot download the most up-to-date
version of wikipathways, is it OK to use fairly recent older versions?

For example the mouse 2020-01-10 version contains the Complement and Coagulation
cascade, however more recent versions of the mouse wikipathways database do
not.

I specifically highlight the Complement and Coagulation cascade pathway because
I was using this as my example in the vignette. I am a bit confused why this
pathway was removed in the mouse database but not from the human database.

Hopefully my queries make sense.

Best Wishes,

Krutik Patel

PhD Student Newcastle University

Martina Summer-Kutmon

Sep 15, 2020, 11:09:17 AM9/15/20
to wikipathways-discuss
Dear Krutik,

You mention that you use the rWikiPathways package, right?
You can use this function:
wp.hs.gmt <- rWikiPathways::downloadPathwayArchive(organism="Homo sapiens", format = "gmt")
It always downloads the latest GMT file in the working directory.
I will check the mouse pathway that you mention. Do you have the identifier?

Best, Tina

Martina Summer-Kutmon, PhD
email: mku...@gmail.com

Krutik Patel

Sep 15, 2020, 11:17:25 AM9/15/20
to wikipathways-discuss
Hi Tina,

Thank you for the suggestion, I will try this.

The mouse pathway is WP449 and the human pathway is WP558. Now that I compare them, they are slightly different.