PathVisio doesn't recognise protein identifiers for RAT

aimee.d...@monash.edu

Jun 16, 2020, 7:14:40 PM6/16/20
to wikipathways-discuss
Hi there,

I am trying to perform pathway analysis for proteomics data from rat. I have downloaded and connected the Rn_Derby_Ensembl file.
When I try to import the data using UniProt identifiers, PathVisio errors and cannot recognise the identifier.
I separately tried both UniProt name ID (eg. ARK73_RAT) as well as UniProt entry number (eg. P38918) - and selected UniProt-Swissprot as the identifier type

To check if the problem was with one of the files, I converted the protein IDs to gene IDs (NCBI) to see if it would be recognised with the rat database - it worked - the rat genes are recognised.

Am I selecting the wrong identifier for the protein codes?

Thanks
Aimee

Martina Summer-Kutmon

Jun 23, 2020, 3:19:57 AM6/23/20
to wikipathways-discuss
Dear Aimee,

Please use UniProt-TrEMBL as the database. In the species mapping databases that is the database name used for UniProt identifiers.
Please let me know if that doesn't work.

Best regards,
Tina

Martina Summer-Kutmon, PhD
email: mku...@gmail.com

Aimee Dordevic

Jun 29, 2020, 7:01:58 PM6/29/20
to wikipathways-discuss
Thanks Tina,

I have tried UniProt-TrEMBL - it also doesn't work

Kind regards
Aimee

Martina Summer-Kutmon

Jun 30, 2020, 3:14:56 AM6/30/20
to wikipathways-discuss
Hi Aimee,

Can you provide a couple of rows from the database? Then I can test it.

Best, Tina

Aimee Dordevic

Jun 30, 2020, 3:40:10 AM6/30/20
to wikipathways-discuss
Thanks Tina

Please see test file attached. You will see both UniProt ID and the entry ID, as well as the corresponding Entrez gene ID. The  Entrez gene ID works with the  Rn_Derby_Ensembl database, but neither of the others are recognised. Let me know if you need anything further

Thank you!
Kind regards
Aimee

RAT_test_file.txt

Martina Summer-Kutmon

Jul 6, 2020, 3:42:08 AM7/6/20
to wikipathways-discuss
Hi Aimee,

Okay, so I found the following:
With the following selection, 30 of the 50 provided identifiers work fine.
image.png
image.png

I checked a couple of the identifiers that were not identified (e.g. P11442, P04041). While they are valid identifiers in UniProt, Ensembl does not have any mappings to those identifiers. Our identifier mapping databases are all based on mappings provided from Ensembl. So that is probably the reason why they are not recognized. If the genes are recognized correctly, I think I would use those.
Hope this clarifies some things.

Best, Tina