Query database version via API

Lucas Fein

Nov 15, 2018, 2:00:08 PM11/15/18
to wikipathwa...@googlegroups.com
To whom it may concern,

I would like to know, if there is way to programmatically access the
current release designation of WikiPathways for documentation purposes.

For example KEGG does this here: http://rest.kegg.jp/info/pathway

I realize that the WikiPathways release corresponds to the current month
and year but not always on the same day.

If there is no way query the version, what would be the recommended
practice.

Thank you very much!

Lucas Fein

Alex Pico

Nov 15, 2018, 2:11:55 PM11/15/18
to wikipathways-discuss
Hi Lucas,

Sure, there are a few ways to do this. You are correct that our monthly archive of data releases are found here:

The latest GMT files, for example, are always here:

Then it’s a simple matter of grabbing the species you want. This can be scraped or you can infer it. They actually have consistently been released on the 10th of each month over the entire history of the archive.

In our R package (https://bioconductor.org/packages/release/bioc/html/rWikiPathways.html), we provide a handy function:
downloadPathwayArchive()

This will always retrieve the latest per requested species and format, unless you specify a date, e.g.,
downloadPathwayArchive(organism="Mus musculus”, format=“gmt")

Via our web services, you can get the live version of data directly from the server (not the monthly archives):

Hope this helps!
 - Alex

Alex Pico

Nov 15, 2018, 2:14:13 PM11/15/18
to wikipathways-discuss
On Nov 15, 2018, at 11:11 AM, Alex Pico <alex...@gladstone.ucsf.edu> wrote:

They actually have consistently been released on the 10th of each month over the entire history of the archive

Ack! I lied. We missed one last year: 20171116.  Sorry about that!
 - Alex