Potential new project. Aquatic insect key

Declan

Aug 7, 2015, 9:45:50 PM8/7/15
to WikiEducator
Hi folks

I have put some aquatic insect resources online in WE and I'm considering a new one.

The idea is an aquatic invertebrate key...point and click with lots of photographs.

All traditional identification keys essentially work the same way...paired questions that walk you through the identification process.  But imbedded in this process, and ignored in a paper key, there is some binary logic.  Each insect either has or has not got each of several characteristics.  I think my first draft will be similar to the traditional, time honored key.

But....I think that I can make the process more efficient by building some mug shot pages.  The idea will be to have panels of 4 images and have users click on the best match.  Most people can tell if they have a snail, an insect, a worm, or an arachnid. My thinking is that 4 pictorial choices could rapidly take a person through the process and reduce some frustration for beginners.

Also built into all organism classifications we have nested groups.  Several species within each genus; some genera within each family.....etc.  I wonder if I need to build that into file structure?  Or would that be better handled using Wiki categories and sub categories?

Any thoughts or suggestions before I begin?

Cheers

Declan

Luis Miguel Morillas

Aug 8, 2015, 6:52:44 AM8/8/15
to WikiEducator
But you want to create an encyclopedia of aquatic invertebrates or
some kind of interactive resource to classify them?

Saludos,

-- luismiguel (@lmorillas)
> --
> ---
> "WikiEducator" group.
> email to wikieducator...@googlegroups.com.

Declan

Aug 8, 2015, 10:02:18 PM8/8/15
to WikiEducator
an interactive resource for identification!

Gita Mathur

Aug 9, 2015, 12:53:11 AM8/9/15
to WikiEducator

This is great. I look forward to following this project.

Gira Mathur

Luis Miguel Morillas

Aug 9, 2015, 4:47:31 AM8/9/15
to WikiEducator
Ok. Can you send a descriptive use case to make a more complete idea
of the complexity

Saludos,

-- luismiguel (@lmorillas)

Jeanie

Aug 9, 2015, 5:59:16 AM8/9/15
to wikied...@googlegroups.com
This is a terrific idea. Will make an amazing resource.

Sent from my iPhone

Vtaylor

Aug 9, 2015, 6:31:13 AM8/9/15
to WikiEducator
I took the Florida Coastal Naturalist program. The "shark" presentation included a paper version of identification characteristics. It was really helpful. I'll send images in a separate post.

This might be a good test of a generalized interactive identifier.

I can image using a visual logic gates system for all kinds of sorting and identifying applications. Cool idea. Hope it isn't to hard to implement, It is definitely on the SAMR progression into something that is better with technology.

..Valerie

Vtaylor

Aug 9, 2015, 7:02:45 AM8/9/15
to WikiEducator
Here are photos of both sides of the Guide to the HMS Sharks of Florida.

There are lots of other characteristics that could be included in a comparative identification key. When you are limited to 1 sheet of paper 2-sides this is an elegant solution.

..Valerie
sharkidentificationguide.zip

Declan

Aug 20, 2015, 10:19:32 PM8/20/15
to WikiEducator
I looked at the shark key.  Looks like a fairly typical dichotomous key.  That structure also exists for bugs....great starting point

Another way I'm considering implementing a new key structure:
Provide a set of images and ask a question.  As each question is answered the panel of potential images would change.

For example: if the user answered "yes" to "does the animal have jointed legs", then all of the worm or snail images would be replaced by insect/spider images.  the panel of images would gradually become a closer match as more questions were answered.

My thoughts are still in process....

Luis Miguel Morillas

Aug 21, 2015, 3:39:28 AM8/21/15
to WikiEducator
First you need to have the data structured (categories and templates).
Then I think it's not difficult to implement the logic of this
workflow.

Saludos,

-- luismiguel (@lmorillas)