#ds4oer Open design strengths weaknesses

Gary Asselbergs

Apr 19, 2015, 4:10:21 AM4/19/15
to wikied...@googlegroups.com
#ds4oer Open design
Strength:  1. many hands makes light work, 2.collaboration stimulates thinking out of the box and reduces myopic thinking.

Weakness: 1. Open design is like being in an ant colony, finding order in the huge amounts of information being generated, filtering this information is not the only problem. 2. there are also a huge amount of technical skills and designer concepts which need to be mastered.  #ds4oer

Joyce.M...@esc.edu

Apr 20, 2015, 3:26:44 AM4/20/15
to wikied...@googlegroups.com
Gary:  I agree with all your points and would add that it is hard to add the "ant colony" designed work into an already organized Learning Management System structure which has previously developed, linear-based protocols.

Strength:  1. many hands makes light work, 2.collaboration stimulates thinking out of the box and reduces myopic thinking.

Weakness: 1. Open design is like being in an ant colony, finding order in the huge amounts of information being generated, filtering this information is not the only problem. 2. there are also a huge amount of technical skills and designer concepts which need to be mastered.  #ds4oer

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "WikiEducator" group.

Viviane Vladimirschi

Apr 21, 2015, 9:20:52 AM4/21/15
to wikied...@googlegroups.com
Gary, I too agree with your points and I find there is little amount of creativity one can add to this ant colony. The technical skills are a little easier to master but the designer concepts are way harder. I wonder if someone is trying to train teachers these skills, how one would go about doing so. Any suggestions? #ds4oer

donnadebien

Apr 23, 2015, 12:24:36 AM4/23/15
to wikied...@googlegroups.com
Hi Viviane,

Here is one set of open online courses for faculty development in online teaching created by @colinmadland who is also registered in this course http://courses.olblogs.tru.ca/facdev/register/  By the way, I looked at your storyboard & other course docs today. Very well organized!  The padlet tool has a very nice 'look & feel' - can you tell me anything about its upside and downside?

Viviane Vladimirschi

Apr 23, 2015, 10:40:28 PM4/23/15
to wikied...@googlegroups.com
Hi Donna,

Thanks for your kind comments! :) This course is affording me a great opportunity to learn the digital skills required for training K-12 public school teachers in Brazil to use and create OER, which is going to be my doctoral dissertation (a Design-based research). I just recently concluded my 2nd year of doctoral studies at Athabasca University and my area of study is distance education. About the padlet tool, it's extremely easy to use, intuitive and free. However, you have to register for it.  The only downside to the padlet tool is that I wasn't able to include a link or an image of it in Wikieducator. I used my WordPress blog to do this. Padlet allows you to share the storyboard as an image and then you can incorporate it in your blog. This doesn't work for Wikieducator. Apparently there are open content issues with the padlet tool.