Mediawiki upgrade planned, WikiEducator/WikiResearcher downtime alert

Jim Tittsler

Jul 14, 2014, 8:39:05 PM7/14/14
to WikiEducator
At the end of August or beginning of September we are planning some
major upgrades to our server infrastructure and our Mediawiki
instances. This will mean the wikis will be read-only for at least a
day, and perhaps longer. English WikiEducator will be the highest
priority, the other language versions and WikiResearcher will follow.
I suggest avoiding planning any online seminars or courses that rely
on WikiEducator for the first part of September. It has been a couple
of years since our last major upgrade, and there are may be unexpected
breakages.

The upgrade should be worth the temporary inconvenience. In addition
to a small performance boost, we plan to take advantage of the new
VisualEditor which is a major improvement over the Wikia "Rich Editor"
that is currently available. Some of the extensions currently
available will be removed, including Flash (no longer supported) and
Kaltura video (server has not worked properly for years).

There is a more detailed discussion on the WikiEducator-tech mailing
list <groups.google.com/group/wikieducator-tech> and the "beta notes"
page in the wiki
<http://wikieducator.org/WikiEducator:Beta#a.WikiEducator.org>.

Thanks for your understanding,
Jim Tittsler
Tech @ OER Foundation

--
Jim Tittsler
http://OERfoundation.org/

Wayne Mackintosh

Jul 14, 2014, 8:50:57 PM7/14/14
to WikiEducator
Hi Jim,

Thanks for the heads up -- I'm very excited about the upgrade. I think that the visual editor will be a major improvement for newbs joining the WE family.  (Folk who haven't seen the visual editor can log in to Wikipedia to see how it works.)

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "WikiEducator" group.

Wayne Mackintosh, Ph.D.
Director OER Foundation
UNESCO, COL and ICDE Chair in OER, Otago Polytechnic & OER Foundation
Skype: WGMNZ1
Twitter: Mackiwg