quality-OER-survey

Dr R C Sharma

Apr 16, 2014, 9:48:01 PM4/16/14
to WikiEducator

Dear OER Colleagues,

In order to expand the author-base of school-level OER, the Commonwealth of Learning CEMCA, in Delhi, has developed a fairly comprehensive list of quality assurance criteria as guidelines for OER creators.

This is a list of ideas worthwhile considering by school teachers as beginner-

authors of their own OER. It is not meant to be prescriptive, and we hope it just about covers all the points they may find useful. As the final stage of evaluation we would like to ask you to take this survey - to see if any of the items can be removed as not worth suggesting to a prospective new author.

The survey is at

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/quality-OER-survey

We appreciate group members are dispersed globally, and your views may differ from each other. Your opinions and perspectives from all the various regions around the world will help shape these guidelines for others generally. We deeply value your input.

You can email any additional comments, and we are very happy to cite your contribution if you so wish. We'll let you know and ask you again beforehand in such case. If you would like more background information, the preceding results were published last year at

http://cemca.org.in/ckfinder/userfiles/files/OERQ_TIPS_978-81-88770-07-6.pdf

The guidelines list will be published with a CC-BY-SA open licence.

Thank you sincerely for your time and professional efforts to help ~

Paul

Paul Kawachi, FRSA

Professor of Instructional Design

Editor Asian Journal of Distance Education

kaw...@open-ed.net

jim kelly

Apr 23, 2014, 2:34:20 PM4/23/14
to wikied...@googlegroups.com

Found the “Definitions of OER” in the pdf attachment very interesting. The invitation only meeting taking place at Fort Baker here in the San Francisco area today (April 23 and 24th) is gone to further redefine OER for materials in the elementary and secondary school mathematics environment. While the William and Flora Hewlett Foundation is funding the meeting, a number of OER projects sponsored by other funding organizations are present. Interestingly Hewlett’s only new investment in OER last year was the services of 2 consulting firms, which I would guess encouraged them to make OER projects more responsible for their own funding (at least a portion of it).  OER projects supporting themselves in elementary and secondary school mathematics is becoming a reality. Funding organizations like Shuttleworth and Saylor are already encouraging this. Even CK-12.org has recently signed a agreement to have its materials as part of the package when you buy India’s version of the iPad.

At present most of the content and lessons in the elementary and secondary school OER math materials are open and  “free to use”.  Hopefully it stays that way, with the money part being associated with getting credit for taking tests on the materials.

Thank you for the information on OER .

Jim Kelly
www.k-12math.info
(A 5 star Merlott II educational resource)