DS4OER mOOC goes live today

Wayne Mackintosh

Apr 12, 2015, 7:54:41 PM4/12/15
to WikiEducator
Hi everyone,

We're pleased to launch the prototype offering of the Digital Skills for Collaborative OER Development (DS4OER) course today.

The OERu envisions a world where all learners will have more affordable access to higher education.

The DS4OER course was developed to build capacity in the design and development of open online courses using OER. A key feature of this course is the ability for any educator to host their own course site using the popular open source WordPress content management system assembled from a collection of wiki pages authored openly and collaboratively.

We are "eating our own dog food". We developed the course pages in WikiEducator. I am hosting the course site using WordPress and my own domain using the free tier from OpenShift (Red Hat linux's public cloud application.)

We acknowledge the funding support of the New Zealand National Commission for UNESCO which has supported the development of the course materials and the open source technologies we are using to enable educators around the world to widen access to open online courses using OER.

If you wan't to learn how to do this, come join us at: http://ds4oer.oeru.org or pop in to say hi on the aggregated course feed.  You can post using the #DS4OER tag.

As a prototype, we apologise in advance for any teething problems but hope that your feedback will help us to improve.

We are widening options for educators around the world to create and host their own open online courses using open source software.

Cheers
Wayne

--
Wayne Mackintosh
Director OER Foundation

David Leeming

Apr 12, 2015, 9:31:33 PM4/12/15
to wikied...@googlegroups.com

Hi Wayne,

Will this course be offered later in the year? I would like to register but am tied up and away from connectivity these dates.

Best,

David Leeming

Solomon Islands

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "WikiEducator" group.

Wayne Mackintosh

Apr 12, 2015, 9:42:35 PM4/12/15
to WikiEducator
Hi David,

We will be offering the course again in the future, but we haven't confirmed the dates for the next offering yet.

However, as an open course the materials will be openly accessible for self-study - no password needed ;-).

The next course in the series, will be Dimensions of Openness in Education which we are hoping to complete before 30 June 2014.

Cheers
Wayne

David Leeming

Apr 12, 2015, 9:54:56 PM4/12/15
to wikied...@googlegroups.com

Hi Wayne,

I’m involved in some training for schools participating in Vanuatu’s Universal Access Programme (UAP). The importance of local content production is understood by the programme and this seems like something well worth checking out and using in the programme. Thanks – I will eagerly explore and share.

David Leeming

Solomon Islands Rural Link
P.O.Box 652 Honiara, Solomon Islands

+677 7476396 (m) +677 24419 (h)

www.rurallink.com.sb

Wayne Mackintosh

Apr 12, 2015, 10:03:50 PM4/12/15
to WikiEducator
David,

You are most welcome.

With the new features, for example, the ability to host a collection of wiki pages as a course site using WordPress (or a snapshot for a static website which can be hosted locally or offline to conserve bandwidth) it will be trivial for you to host multiple course instances and relatively easy to customise for different contexts.  You can remix your own sequence and collection of wiki pages.

I hope that these resources will be useful for educators in the South Pacific.

Gary Asselbergs

Apr 13, 2015, 7:49:09 AM4/13/15
to wikied...@googlegroups.com
Greetings from the netherlands, I am still trying to figure out how wikieducator and tweeters work in conjunction with the course. I have about 10 years experience with OERs and developing distance learning curriculium. Would appreciate a reply, then I am confident we are connected. Thank you Gary Asselbergs

Gary Asselbergs

Apr 19, 2015, 3:47:07 AM4/19/15
to wikied...@googlegroups.com
 #DS4OER
Wayne,good morning (sunday), presently tackling session 3. I could not find the EGG challenge, in the syllabus. But from a tweet post I understand we are asked to find a famous lecturer mentioned in the course syllabus? Would that be   Linus Torvalds. KR Gary