Seeking collaborators; mammalogists; musem curators; educators; every continent

Declan

Mar 25, 2014, 11:06:54 PM3/25/14
to wikied...@googlegroups.com
Hi folks,

please share this message with your biologist friends and other science educators.

My students and I have just begun expanding our online museum collection of skulls on Wiki Educator and are seeking collaborators.  The collection is here:http://wikieducator.org/Digital_Coyote and currently includes 132 skulls.  Most are coyotes from different parts of the United States.  We also have several domestic dogs, Alaskan wolves, 6 fox species, a groundhog and a jackal....adding more as time permits  All images are calibrated so that measurements can be made from the photos.

We'd love to have some collaborators:

*Educators.  What creative ideas can you generate from this collection?  Open-ended or directed learning opportunities for students.  Sub-collections permitting students to ask specific questions. Share the collection with your students for science fair projects.  What specific skulls would you like added to the collection?  More minds; more ideas; W.E. power!

*Scientists; collectors; curators.  Get more value from your skull collection by sharing it.....we do not want your actual skulls...just the images..we lack the manpower and space to care for your valuable specimens and return them safely.  Coyotes from known locations are valuable to expand our starting project on geographical variation.  Any other species regardless of location would be useful for taxonomic diversity and phylogenetic comparisons.  A whole collection of any broad-ranging species would be a fascinating contrast to our coyote collection.  Domestic animals to demonstrate artificial selection.  Whatever ideas occur to you; we are each limited only by our imagination; share your creativity.

*Grant seekers: WE is an ideal platform to host your broader-impact educational materials.  You are welcome to work within our framework or copy components wholesale to your own WE pages.

Wishing you all a wonderful evening/morning/night/afternoon where ever you are!

Declan McCabe