Why a new wiki?

David Biesack

Mar 30, 2012, 5:34:16 PM3/30/12
to wike...@googlegroups.com
Don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of MediaWiki-based wikis, but I'm curious why the creators of WikEmacs felt motivated to
start a new wiki when EmacsWiki has been there for years, is widely known, etc. True, it may be lagging, but
is the thought that a new MediaWiki-based wiki will be able to overcome the problems that EmacsWiki suffers from?
Obviously, someone thinks a potential of a new wiki outweighs the problems brought on by fracturing the community
(i.e. it will be hard to keep two wikis consistent and up-to-date, much more so than keeping one current).
are silent on the subject except for a "Thanks to the people that brought us the original EmacsWiki."

Just curious...

Aleksandar Simic

Mar 31, 2012, 4:26:26 AM3/31/12
to wike...@googlegroups.com

Hey David,

this has already been discussed elsewhere. Google it, you should be
able to find it.

The idea is to provide a more structured, organised content. Once that
is done, full migration from the old Emacs wiki to this new wiki will
occur.

Thanks
Aleksandar

Xophist

Mar 31, 2012, 5:41:43 PM3/31/12
to wike...@googlegroups.com

On Friday, March 30, 2012 4:34:16 PM UTC-5, David Biesack wrote:
Don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of MediaWiki-based wikis, but I'm curious why the creators of WikEmacs felt motivated to
start a new wiki when EmacsWiki has been there for years, is widely known, etc. True, it may be lagging, but
is the thought that a new MediaWiki-based wiki will be able to overcome the problems that EmacsWiki suffers from?
Obviously, someone thinks a potential of a new wiki outweighs the problems brought on by fracturing the community
[snipped]

David,

You might find this interesting:

Emacs Wiki Problems

Many Emacswiki pages look like a sandbox, just an incoherent mess.

Also, why bother learning Emacswiki markup, when nearly everyone is familiar with Wikipedia conventions?

The ease of editing WikEmacs, and the promise of more useful and coherent content, have induced me to contribute. The quality of contributions so far is encouraging.

--
greg scott

David Biesack

Apr 2, 2012, 8:42:33 AM4/2/12