Selenium 2.0

Simon Stewart

Aug 4, 2009, 1:08:23 PM8/4/09
to webdriver, selenium-developers
Hi everyone,

Things are about to get interesting. In the next month or so, we're
going to start down the road to Selenium 2.0 properly. Here's a quick
FAQ, but I'm happy to answer any other questions that I've missed out
of here. :)

* Selenium 2.0?
It's the merging of the Selenium and WebDriver projects. Called "Selenium 2"

* What about my tests using webdriver?
They can stay exactly as they are. The package and class names aren't
going to change, even when the merge is complete. If you're using
webdriver now, you'll be able to continue using it in the future.
We're also keen to keep the API clean and tight, so you can expect
stability there too.

* What about my tests using selenium?
The same thing applies. Just keep doing what you're doing now, and
we'll keep things stable.

* Why are the projects merging?
Partly because webdriver addresses some shortcomings in selenium (by
being able to bypass the JS sandbox, for example. And we've got a
gorgeous API), partly because selenium addresses some shortcomings in
webdriver (such as supporting a broader range of browsers) and partly
because the main selenium contributors and I felt that it was the best
way to offer users the best possible framework.

* What's going to happen?
Unless you're a developer interested in the source of either selenium
or webdriver (that is, you've checked webdriver out of subversion) the
first steps won't appear to be much: we're just going to be merging
the hosting of the source trees into the same subversion repository.

* And then?
Good question :) At some point, there's going to be a new Google Group
for use by the combined project, and we'll be merging issue tracking
too. We'll be sending out emails and making sure there's plenty of
time for the switch over to happen, and we're not going to do anything
drastic.

I'm really looking forward to this.

Cheers,

Simon

PerfectStorm

Aug 4, 2009, 2:26:59 PM8/4/09
to webdriver
When do you think there will some version of Grid available for
Webdriver?

André Nogueira

Aug 6, 2009, 11:33:13 AM8/6/09
to webd...@googlegroups.com, selenium-developers
Hello,

Are there any more detailed plans for the release of Selenium 2? More specifically, for when is the first release planned, and what's left to be done (in each project) to make that happen?

There's a RoadMap wiki page for webdriver and a forum thread for Selenium, but both haven't been updated in a while so I don't know how accurate they still are... :)

Thanks!

- André

Simon Stewart

Aug 6, 2009, 12:04:21 PM8/6/09
to selenium-...@googlegroups.com, webd...@googlegroups.com
It's a good question :)

From the webdriver point of view, there are some key things that I'd
like to see in a 2.0 release:

* Language bindings for C#, Java, Ruby and Python
* Support for dealing with alerts, prompts and confirms
* Window switching working properly in all browsers
* Easy interop between webdriver and selenium
* meaning a "WebDriverBackedSelenium"
* and a "SeleniumBackedWebDriver"

Once those things are in place, we'll have rough feature parity
between the existing selenium and webdriver frameworks.

The next question is: "what does 2.0 mean?" For me, the initial
release will be a promise of API stability and a demonstration of a
merged release process. That is, I'd expect Selenium RC and WebDriver
to be largely independent of one another, with minimal shared code at
this point (though there's some obvious easy things to do, such as
merging browser launchers)

Having said that, this is my view only, and we're an Open Source team.
I'm sure that the other committers have their own views of what 2.0
means :)

Cheers,

Simon

Tribhuvan Yadav

Aug 3, 2012, 1:42:28 PM8/3/12
to webd...@googlegroups.com, selenium-developers
what is the selenium version and firefox version are u using?

Thanks
Tribhuvan

On Fri, Aug 3, 2012 at 12:36 PM, vishwak narasimhan <vish....@gmail.com> wrote:
hi,
I'm using web driver to automate an web site..
my system configuration is Windows 7 64 bit....
Firefox is getting crashed when ever i start the automation...
anybody has a solution???

Saravanan Nallamuthu

Sep 15, 2012, 11:58:12 AM9/15/12
to webd...@googlegroups.com, selenium-developers, krishna.mu...@gmail.com, saravanan....@gmail.com
Hi All,

I have developed a Data Driven Framework using Selenium &TestNG in Eclipse IDE.How can i convert this java file to Executable Jar file and Execute from the cmd prompt.

Thanks,
Saravanan Nallamuthu

Peter Gale

Sep 15, 2012, 8:37:29 PM9/15/12
to webd...@googlegroups.com
1. Please start a enw thread for new isues.
2. This is a question about using Eclipse, not Slenium, please checkout the Eclipse documentation/website.

Date: Sat, 15 Sep 2012 08:58:12 -0700
From: saravanan....@gmail.com
To: webd...@googlegroups.com
CC: selenium-...@googlegroups.com; krishna.mu...@gmail.com; saravanan....@gmail.com