Re: [webc] Browser fails to load!

Kai Hendry

Jun 21, 2011, 11:11:17 AM6/21/11
to webc-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Benjamin,

I think I have noticed the "browser not starting issue" and noted it here:
http://webconverger.org/blog/entry/Webconverger_8_release_notes/

I tried to debug it, but I could not reproduce it on my machine.
Removing "noroot" from the cmline and studying pb.log in the home
directory might be of use sorting this out.

Kind regards,

Benjamin Morley

Jun 21, 2011, 11:02:20 AM6/21/11
to Webconverger Users
Hello,

I believe I have (unintentionally) reproduced the error where the
browser fails to load. I have in the past considered using
Webconverger for web kiosk. I never actually used it because I found
that the hardware I had ordered to use for web kiosks didn't work with
Webconverger. It simply produced a black screen. I believe this is
documented here: http://groups.google.com/group/webc-users/browse_thread/thread/acbd26ff1fada924
. I decided to try again with 8.0, I and this new version appears to
support my hardware just great. Unfortunately, I am now experiencing
this error where Webconverger will get to the point where the browser
should appear and stop. Rebooting helps, but it sometimes takes 2-3
reboots. Because users will be booting these computers I would prefer
that to get rid of these errors. Thanks for your (otherwise) excellent
and FREE product!

Benjamin Morley

Benjamin Morley

Jun 21, 2011, 5:22:55 PM6/21/11
to Webconverger Users
Hello Kai,

When I boot up with noroot removed and the browser doesn't load I get
this error upon opening the terminal: "shell-init: error retrieving
current directory: getcwd: cannot access parent directories: no such
file or directory"

When I boot up with noroot removed and the browser loads I can open
the terminal without error and view the pb.log. Would you like me to
post up the contents of this pb.log, or would that be pointless since
the error didn't occur?

This is all on the same machine using the same cf card.

Regards,
Benjamin

Kai Hendry

Jun 21, 2011, 5:50:19 PM6/21/11
to webc-...@googlegroups.com
On 21 June 2011 22:22, Benjamin Morley <islin...@gmail.com> wrote:
> current directory: getcwd: cannot access parent directories: no such
> file or directory"

Yes, this is what Guttorm saw too.

> When I boot up with noroot removed and the browser loads I can open
> the terminal without error and view the pb.log. Would you like me to
> post up the contents of this pb.log, or would that be pointless since
> the error didn't occur?

Yes please. I think the CWD errors are because iceweasel is
complaining that I've nuked ~/.mozilla on exit.

However that doesn't explain why it doesn't launch as Guttorm logged
here with strace:
http://undersoking.com/pb-strace.log

Any strace demi-gods recognise something awry here? My first hunch is
that the live fs is not agreeable to FF.

Kind regards,

T.O.D.

Jun 21, 2011, 12:55:18 PM6/21/11
to Webconverger Users
The ISO I just built reproduced this issue on two different PCs. If
it helps, I had added iceweasel-webcfullscreen. I renamed the build
directory (for future debugging), and I'm going to start over, not
make any changes, and see if this ISO is the same.

Joseph J. GUnn

Jun 21, 2011, 9:15:10 PM6/21/11
to webc-...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, 21 Jun 2011 22:50:19 +0100
Kai Hendry <hen...@webconverger.com> wrote:

> On 21 June 2011 22:22, Benjamin Morley <islin...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > current directory: getcwd: cannot access parent directories: no such
> > file or directory"
>
> Yes, this is what Guttorm saw too.
>
> > When I boot up with noroot removed and the browser loads I can open
> > the terminal without error and view the pb.log. Would you like me to
> > post up the contents of this pb.log, or would that be pointless
> > since the error didn't occur?
>
> Yes please. I think the CWD errors are because iceweasel is
> complaining that I've nuked ~/.mozilla on exit.

Possibly correct.

If the cwd was under on that path the cwd() would fail.

Adding a "cd $WEBCHOME" to the loop may be helpful?

> However that doesn't explain why it doesn't launch as Guttorm logged
> here with strace:
> http://undersoking.com/pb-strace.log

A quick inspection:

This shows that there is a problem with the working directory.

It also shows that the home directory is intact and accessible.
This includes being able to create a new .mozilla subdir.
Not much else i can see that is wrong here.

Benjamin Morley

Jun 22, 2011, 11:16:15 AM6/22/11
to Webconverger Users
Here is the text of the pb.log file:
+ WEBCHOME=/home/webc
+ xset b 0 0
+ xsetroot -solid #ffffff
+ grep -qs+ oroot /proc/cmdlinetrap echo Unbreakable! SIGINT SIGTERM
+ trap: SIGINT: bad trap
grep -qs showcursor /proc/cmdline
+ cat /proc/cmdline
+ /usr/bin/dwm.default
+ /bin/busybox httpd -d http://portal.webconverger.com
+ set -f -- http://portal.webconverger.com
+ grep -qs compose /proc/cmdline
+ test http://portal.webconverger.com
+ grep -qs noxbg /proc/cmdline
+ wget --timeout=5 http://portal.webconverger.com/bg.png -O /home/webc/
bg.png
--2011-06-22 22:58:25-- http://portal.webconverger.com/bg.png
Resolving portal.webconverger.com... 67.205.62.95
Connecting to portal.webconverger.com|67.205.62.95|:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... dwm: missing fontset:
ISO10646-1
dwm: missing fontset: JISX0201.1976-0
dwm: missing fontset: GB2312.1980-0
dwm: missing fontset: KSC5601.1987-0
dwm: missing fontset: JISX0208.1983-0
dwm: missing fontset: ISO8859-15
dwm: missing fontset: ISO8859-14
dwm: missing fontset: ISO8859-13
dwm: missing fontset: ISO8859-9
dwm: missing fontset: ISO8859-7
dwm: missing fontset: KOI8-R
dwm: missing fontset: ISO8859-5
dwm: missing fontset: ISO8859-4
dwm: missing fontset: ISO8859-3
dwm: missing fontset: ISO8859-2
dwm: missing fontset: ISO8859-1
dwm: missing fontset: ISO8859-1
200 OK
Length: 25051 (24K) [image/png]
Saving to: “/home/webc/bg.png”

0K .......... .......... .... 100%
135K=0.2s

2011-06-22 22:58:25 (135 KB/s) - “/home/webc/bg.png” saved
[25051/25051]

+ xloadimage -quiet -onroot -center /home/webc/bg.png
+ grep -qs noblank /proc/cmdline
+ true
+ test -x /usr/bin/iceweasel
+ rm -rf /home/webc/.mozilla/
+ iceweasel http://portal.webconverger.com

(firefox-bin:1913): Gtk-WARNING **: Could not find the icon 'gtk-go-
back-ltr'. The 'hicolor' theme
was not found either, perhaps you need to install it.
You can get a copy from:
http://icon-theme.freedesktop.org/releases
(I added the lines of dashes :)
I also noticed that there are error messages upon booting, but these
flash by so fast that I don't have time to read them. The first one
says something about missing files. During a proper boot these
messages don't appear.

aga...@agah.ru

Jun 24, 2011, 4:18:43 AM6/24/11
to webc-...@googlegroups.com
Webconferger 8.0 don't work on computer with Intel nm10 chipset. Iceweasel starting and fail. Script delate ".mosila" folder and start iceweasel ... and again, and again...
If I make home-rw patition, it's start. Bat I have a probleb with screen resolution. It start with 1024x768 instead of 1280x1024. While on anoter computer it's ok.
I have repair the bug with xorg-resolution and input this parameter in config string, but now i have the problem with standart fonts size in browser. Fonts are so big.

Benjamin Morley

Jun 27, 2011, 9:27:08 AM6/27/11
to Webconverger Users
I'm assuming that the lack of response means that everybody else is as
confused as I am about this error. :P Just a quick question, is there
anyway to freeze the screen on the error messages? I'm not enough of a
Debian dude to know how, but it seems there should be a way. -Ben

Kai Hendry

Jun 28, 2011, 6:44:43 AM6/28/11
to webc-...@googlegroups.com
On 27 June 2011 14:27, Benjamin Morley <islin...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm assuming that the lack of response means that everybody else is as
> confused as I am about this error. :P Just a quick question, is there
> anyway to freeze the screen on the error messages? I'm not enough of a

The pb.log in debug mode can be copied off and read at leisure. If you
are asking to perhaps read the boot up text without splash or
something, then no you can't AFAIK.

Anyhoo, the problem AFAIK is with launching the executable on some
machines. It's not to do with boot into X.

Kind regards,

Kai Hendry

Jun 28, 2011, 6:47:52 AM6/28/11
to webc-...@googlegroups.com
On 22 June 2011 02:15, Joseph J. GUnn <armad...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Adding a "cd $WEBCHOME" to the loop may be helpful?

I don't see why it should have left $WEBCHOME in any case.

>> Any strace demi-gods recognise something awry here? My first hunch is
>> that the live fs is not agreeable to FF.

We need to simply compare http://undersoking.com/pb-strace.log to a
working strace log and see where it's failing. I would be super
grateful if some one could do that.

Kind regards,

Benjamin Morley

Jun 28, 2011, 9:16:40 AM6/28/11
to Webconverger Users
> Anyhoo, the problem AFAIK is with launching the executable on some
> machines. It's not to do with boot into X.

The reason I asked was because there are error messages that occur
during the boot. I hadn't been able to read the messages, and was just
wondering if they would have been a help.

> We need to simply comparehttp://undersoking.com/pb-strace.logto a
> working strace log and see where it's failing. I would be super
> grateful if some one could do that.

I'd be more than willing to take a look at that :) Do we have a
working strace log anywhere? Or is that something I could create on my
own?

-Ben

Kai Hendry

Jun 28, 2011, 9:22:51 AM6/28/11
to webc-...@googlegroups.com
On 28 June 2011 14:16, Benjamin Morley <islin...@gmail.com> wrote:
> The reason I asked was because there are error messages that occur
> during the boot. I hadn't been able to read the messages, and was just
> wondering if they would have been a help.

You're right, one or two occur, though they can be ignored. In vmware
one can record the whole boot and then you can playback the AVI file
to see them better. Still I don't think this is related to the browser
startup problem, though I've been wrong before.

> I'd be more than willing to take a look at that :) Do we have a
> working strace log anywhere? Or is that something I could create on my
> own?

You basically need to boot in debug mode (noroot cmdline removed),
then proceed to install strace & vim maybe, then pre-pend strace to
the iceweasel line in pb.sh and then kill X. Now you should be logging
a good iceweasel startup to pb.log.

Kind regards,

Benjamin Morley

Jun 28, 2011, 9:27:23 AM6/28/11
to Webconverger Users
I also just realized that the link, http://undersoking.com/pb-strace.logto
, just died. It was working yesterday... Could I get a copy of the
file?

Guttorm Flatabø

Jun 28, 2011, 9:29:33 AM6/28/11
to webc-...@googlegroups.com
The link is
http://undersoking.com/pb-strace.log

Benjamin Morley

Jun 28, 2011, 9:50:17 AM6/28/11
to Webconverger Users

On Jun 28, 8:29 am, Guttorm Flatabø <p...@guttormflatabo.com> wrote:
> The link ishttp://undersoking.com/pb-strace.log

Whoops, sorry about that. I should have noticed the logto at the
end :P Thank you very much for your help!

-Ben

Ben

Jun 29, 2011, 9:49:33 AM6/29/11
to Webconverger Users
Good Morning,

> You basically need to boot in debug mode (noroot cmdline removed),
> then proceed to install strace & vim maybe, then pre-pend strace to
> the iceweasel line in pb.sh and then kill X. Now you should be logging
> a good iceweasel startup to pb.log.

Sorry I didn't back to you guys yesterday. This project got put on the
backburner for a day. Just to make sure I understand, the line of code
will look like this when I finish: "strace kill x iceweasel $@". Sorry
if I'm asking noob questions, this is new territory for me :)

-Ben

Guttorm Flatabø

Jun 29, 2011, 10:29:36 AM6/29/11
to webc-...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Jun 29, 2011 at 3:49 PM, Ben <islin...@gmail.com> wrote:
will look like this when I finish: "strace kill x iceweasel $@". Sorry
if I'm asking noob questions, this is new territory for me :)

No, on line 54 it should say "strace iceweasel $@" (without quotation marks).

When you've saved the file, you have to kill the X process, you could install "killall" and use the command "killall X", or find the ID of the X process with the "ps" command and use the regular kill command to kill just that process. When you've killed X, the modified script will be loaded when X has realoaded.

--
Guttorm

Ben

Jun 29, 2011, 10:51:13 AM6/29/11
to Webconverger Users

On Jun 29, 9:29 am, Guttorm Flatabø <p...@guttormflatabo.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 29, 2011 at 3:49 PM, Ben <islingc...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > will look like this when I finish: "strace kill x iceweasel $@". Sorry
>
> if I'm asking noob questions, this is new territory for me :)
>

> No, on line 54<http://git.webconverger.org/?p=webconverger-base;a=blob;f=home/webc/p...>
> it
> should say "strace iceweasel $@" (without quotation marks).
>
> When you've saved the file, you have to kill the X process, you could
> install "killall" and use the command "killall X", or find the ID of the X
> process with the "ps" command and use the regular kill command to kill just
> that process. When you've killed X, the modified script will be loaded when
> X has realoaded.
>
> --
> Guttorm

Thanks, exactly what I needed to know :D

-Ben